Handlebar Adjustement

Guest reblutus

Guest reblutus

I am looking for a guide on how to adjust my handlebars. I just bough my first motorcycle and chose a vfr800 1999. I looked in the manual and found nothing on handlebar adjustements.

Thank you

• Member Contributer

I am looking for a guide on how to adjust my handlebars. I just bough my first motorcycle and chose a vfr800 1999. I looked in the manual and found nothing on handlebar adjustements.

Thank you

Congrats, and welcome. The stock bars on the VFR are not really adjustable unless you raise the fork tubes in the triples a considerable amount, and there are other implications to doing that.

• Member Contributer

Depending on what type of adjustment you are looking for there are after market clip ons available that could help. One of the most adjustable brands is 'Convertibars' they replace the stock clip ons and provide quite a bit of range df adjustability. Heli-bars are a very popular option but they only provide a fixed "up and back" change in position but are not limited to a fixed angle of rotation on the fork tube, the fairing will dictate how far you can go there,

Another nice multi-adjustable bar is made by 'Gilles' although I have not seen too many places that sell these there is a post on the forum where someone had them installed, you can try searching here using Gilles as the key search word, the post might provide some info.

Oh yeah, Welcome Aboard!

• Member Contributer

Ah, a yellow '99 was one of my favourites. Welcome to the list, Reb.

You didn't tell us how you want to adjust the bars so…

Lower: the easiest way is to replace the stock bars with a set from a '90-'97 VFR750F. They are almost 3/4" / 18mm lower but with the similar droop and sweep angles. Make sure you get the bar end weights as they are different. Compare the locating holes on the two 'bars and drill the new ones as necessary for the locating tabs of the switch gear. Also, you may need to remove the tab off the base of the handlebars as Honda use a different arrangement on different models - see below.

Higher: you can raise your stock bars by removing the thin circlip on the fork tube above the bars, then loosen the pinch bolt and lift the handlebar. I wouldn't go any higher than flush with the top of the fork. Tighten the pinch bolt - best to use a torque wrench here.

Rotate: a tab on the handlebar fits a slot on the triple clamp to prevent the handlebars rotating on the fork tube. Cutting/grinding off that tab would allow some rotation. However, there's little extra clearance from the tank & fairing at full lock so it isn't that promising an option.

I'd give it a bit of time, you'll get used to them very quickly. If not, then look at changes.

I added a set of foam grips that go over the original ones, that made them more comfortable.

mq7K6oFwxID9m355B3RxvUw.jpg

I'd love to meet the marketing genius who come up with that name.....

• Member Contributer

mq7K6oFwxID9m355B3RxvUw.jpg

I'd love to meet the marketing genius who come up with that name.....

Well Grip Puppies was taken... so I'm guessing they wanted to keep the family pet association...

If you decide you want to raise your forks in the triples to have faster turn in you can raise the clipons to the circlip as mentioned, but you will also have enough clearance with the tab out of the slot to rotate the clipons a few degrees without having contact on tank or fairings. I did this for a few years before switching to LSL Superbike bars. You would be surprised how even a small adjustment in angle can be quite a relief to the wrists... I have a screw in one of my wrists so the angle is critical for me.

Archived