New Owner Of Low Mile 98

Hi just picked up my first Vfr after having them on my short list for a while. A 98 with 3600 miles. I know very little about these bikes other then it ran real well and very strong on the 60 mile ride home. Been reading a lot here and soaking it up. Been riding about 45 years. Got this bike to ease the duties on my r100rs BMW. Gonna be my commuter bike but man these bikes are fun to ride! Sure i will have plenty of questions going forward. Like how to keep my junk from getting mushed into the tank!

• Member Contributer

Corbin seat might help. Install the vfrness and add a voltmeter. I did and when I noticed my volts jumping to 18+ I installed a new RR which may have saved my stator and other wiring.

Good find! What did you have to give?

I paid $3600 for a 2000 with farkels and 11,000 miles. Now it has 33,000 and it's still going strong except for notched head stem bearings. All balls all ready ordered.

• Member Contributer

Nice to have you. Maybe run some injector cleaner through it if it's been sitting for a long time. Which it had to have been doing with only 3600 miles on a 16 year old bike. How old are the tires? Originals? If so you need to get those replaced ASAP.

Definitely maintenance: oil change, coolant change, check wheel bearings, check chain, check for rust in the tank.

Wow. Pics are a must.

• Member Contributer

Welcome fellow '98 5th gen guy. 3600 miles? Holy.....

Yes --- Pics!

Congrats!

Hey thanks for the welcome! Bike has brand new dunlop Q3(?

Gas tank is spotless inside and all fluids changes prior to me picking it up. Bodywork not perfect but pretty damn close.. no dumps just one garage tip over. gave the fellow 3 grand. Tried to go less but really i felt bad about it.. came with a new non stock rr in a box. Supposed to be the hot setup but i will look into that more when im back home. Pics to come but you all know what she looks like. Shes red.

Three grand. What a deal. Welcome. :beer:

Now go, wind up the miles on that thing!

Apparently the prior owner didn't know that's what it's made for. :wink:

Just took my girlfriend for a ride..haha..fresh off the old airhead on the the little red rocket. She almost pissed herself..haha..but she had fun and was comfy enough. She is an adventurer for sure.

Ok where do I get touch up paint for the scratches my jean jacket just put in the tank when I hit the brakes. Didnt think about 140 lbs of girl slamming into me. Crap.

Note to self. Don't be a dumbass.

I need a half bra right away. Which brand?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. PM me and I can send you a small bottle of touch-up paint. I have several extra.

And all my fifth gens have had the Lockhart Phillips Glasmask half-tank covers. These have worked very well for me.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/Tank-Gas-Cap-Pads/

Jim: That's a good looking 100RS you have. Read your post on another list a few days ago. Welcome, indeed. There are all good folks here. Solid 'tech', great photography, wonderful spirit. After quite a few years I've yet to see an inane, never ending pissing contest.

Sargent seats is aware of the pitching forward problem. I added one of their seats and had good results. Wearing a cup is excellent security.

Enjoy the new ride. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Welcome, and squeezing the tank with your knees while braking is SOP on sporting bikes. Even more important with a pillion as you have learned. The tank grips will help with that.

I'll take the stock seat over a Corbin any day.

Seargent seat is on the list. Seems hit and miss weather it will work for me or anyone in particular.

Jim: That's a good looking 100RS you have. Read your post on another list a few days ago. Welcome, indeed. There are all good folks here. Solid 'tech', great photography, wonderful spirit. After quite a few years I've yet to see an inane, never ending pissing contest.

Sargent seats is aware of the pitching forward problem. I added one of their seats and had good results. Wearing a cup is excellent security.

Enjoy the new ride. Good fortune, R3~

I met a guy on a LeMans a few weeks ago..in Danbury. I had an LAPD back in the day. Wanted a Lemans or V7 sport.

I am just about to push the button on the mag knightt tank protector but they are pricey! There is only one Lockhart Phillips Glasmask I could find on Ebay. Not sure which way to go here!

• Member Contributer

Welcome. Make your self comfortable & enjoy your stay from another VFR rider in CT.

Archived