Fairing & Seat Removal

04 VFR purchased last September and even though I DO have a manual, some things aren't working out too well. First, removing the Sargent seat is not happening. Manual says key clockwise turn on seat lock, lift up & back. No budge. The guy I bought it from (now not available) did get it off with a bit of a struggle but other than that, I don't remember any special maneuvers. Secondly, fairing removal instructions were not much help so I started unbolting hex nuts as I found them. No budge there either. Can someone offer this VFRookie some help? Much appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Sargent seat fits very tightly. You may have to push down on the dished out portion while you turn the key, then pull up on the pillion section and back. The fairings also have the little pins that you push on the center portion of and then pull outwards to release. You have to lay on the floor and look underneath and at the black plastic air am behind the front wheel to see them.

• Member Contributer

If you look at this photo you grab the seat where arrow A points to, turn the key and while holding the lock open with the key pull straight back in the direction of arrow B. You made need to move it side to side a little while pulling to get it to release. As far as the fairings, the service manual give you some pretty good pictures but you must pay attention to the diagram details to get every bolt and clip illustrated. Use your own judgement since sometimes they miss a pair of clips that need to be removed, so no harm in removing a fastener that looks like the one still holding a piece on if you think they missed it in the manual. It is not perfect and you will find on this forum a lot of how to's that show you many times that not all the parts the manual shows you need to remove to perform a maintenance job are needed to be removed to complete the job, such as the Cam Chain Tensioner replacement. Saves you a lot of unneccesary work

post-24160-0-90413600-1404427500.jpg

Thank you both for the help. I think part of my problem with the seat is the cover as it keeps the back end fairly compressed to the frame . I'll keep at it like Ahab at the whale.

I have a Sargent on mine, well worth the money by the way, and yes it is more difficult to remove than the standard seat. I've found the best way for me is to turn the key with my right hand while reaching across the seat with my left, getting my fingers into the gap between seat cowl and tail unit on the right hand side and lifting there. That works for me. About half way along the right hand side of the seat cowl is about the place...

seat_zpsde6e3b5b.jpg

Which part of the fairing are you having trouble with?

That does the trick fatshoutybloke, thank you! It was kind of like Geraldo with Capones safe when I got it off.....nothing there.

Archived