Replacing Exhaust

The stock exhaust on my 1998 VFR has corroded just below the junction of the rear headers and the main exhaust pipe to the point that is has begun leaking. The leak is in the main exhaust and not the rear headers, which appear to be in good condition. It's a small opening now but sure to get larger. I'm thinking it may be best just to buy the OEM part, but wondering if anyone has any success with other remedies.

What about having the corrosion ground out and the hole welded? Or is it too far gone for that? My guess is that, if you don't have the tools yourself, you could potentially get it done for under $50 if you pull the pipes off of the bike.

If he has to take the headers off, then he will need to buy new seals/crush washers too, right? That can add up too, so don't forget to add that into the expense.

Of you could go the Delkevic headers route. I believe they sell the whole kit pretty cheap. Plus it is lighter.

• Member Contributer

I can't speak about the Delkevic headers, but I recently bought a stainless Tri-oval muffler from them, the workmanship is very nice and it looks and sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I appreciate the suggestions for replacing the exhaust. When I took the original off, I could tell the corrosion was beyond repaing.

I found a good deal on the OEM part at Service Honda and just replaced it.

post-3677-0-04775200-1411349187.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with replacing a corroded part with the same is that it will just rot again. I always find its best to replace steel exhausts with stainless ones.

I think an OEM part lasting 15 years is not too big of a concern for the next 15 years as most of these bikes sadly will be gone by then.

That aside, I would go Delkevic since I like the price point and really like my slip on.

Archived