First Oil Change Done, A Bit Of An Adventure.

SHvar

Changed the oil today, wow, took longer than I expected.

The center stand definitely will take practice to get used to.

The fairings are much more difficult than my old CBR600 to remove, alot more connectors. The amount of space around the oil filter is very tight, the original filter was installed too tight, I had to use large channel locks to crush it slightly to get a grip on it and remove it (my small oil filter wrench just slipped around it rather than grabbing). There are a few annoying plastic connectors that are difficult to remove, but most of it is screws, and bolts to remove the fairings.

My old CBR600 took about 20 minutes to do an oil change and clean it up afterwards (4 quarts of 10W40), and I could do it without removing the fairings. I think it took me a few hours by the time I was done with my VFR800.

My dealer used 10w40 Honda GN4 (3 and 1/3 quarts) in the bike originally, so thats what went back into it. The oil filter is the same as the last model (2002-2009).

Reassembled, cleaned her up and went out for a ride.

Wow, this cycle makes you want to behave badly!IMG_03591_zpsd6a8fbed.jpg

She likes to scream, the power comes on so smooth and fast.

The fairings wrap under the entire area below the oil filter. In order to get enough room and make sure I didnt get oil all over the fairing I had to remove both bottom pieces, to do so I had to loosen the next 2 sections above that to get to the connector at the back out without breaking it. I did remove an extra section on the opposite side in the process that I didnt need to (which required removing another section and loosening everything from there up, which was the easy part). There is a bracket below the oil filter that attaches to the radiator, engine, a few lines. I had to remove the bracket to get enough room to get the filter out. To the side of the oil filter there is a canister, a few hoses, lines, etc. There is a radiator cover (which attaches to the fairings in the front). In fact to get the filter out I had to let it drain suspended among the hoses, bracket, etc, then turn it on an angle to get it out of there.

It took extra time getting everything lined back up and attached, then towards the end of the reassembly it got easy.

I knew I should have taken a photo of the oil filter inside of the bike while I was at it. Ill try later today through the fairing.

• Member Contributer

You are blazing the trail for those that will follow your lead and buy a new VFR800!

Keep up the good work and yes, post pictures!!! :beer:

I remember the first few times I did my 2011 cbr100rr it was a PITA because of all the fragile tabs that interlock the parts.

Was that the first or second service? and did you do the first one yourself or get the dealer to do it to safeguard the warranty?

I really dont trust the dealers to mine, they usually stuff something up but I dont want to jeapordise the warranty either with all the new electronic gizmos on this bike, bit of a dilemma.........

Warranty does NOT require the dealer to perform the service!

You can do this yourself and your warranty will remain in effect and completely valid.

Consumer law is different in Australia than the US Seb and warranty is offered by the local importers not Honda Japan.

Dogman there is a difference between the rights you have as a consumer - fit & proper for the advertised purpose- and the additional rights in voluntary warranty offered in the purchase contract beyond the standard consumer protections as part of the marketing of the product. As far as I understand all you have to do for home servicing re consumer legislation rights is to keep all recipts to prove you have done the work as per the service schedule (you should buy the workshop manual ) in a timely fashion. Personally I have little confidence in the Adelaide mega dealers like you but I would have the first service done by the selling dealer as a kind of goodwill insurance ( the gap between the first & second service is considerable and thats the time problems may crop up) plus the first service really is the last point of call in the quality control process for Honda. Best thing would be to call Honda MPE & ask if their attitude to home first service before you make a decision. Cheers

I will get the dealer to do the first service and then I have 12 months grace in which time anything that will go wrong will, hopefully. Meanwhile I will do the in between services myself.

My last 2 new hondas I did everything myself including the first services and never had any problems, but this is a "new" model aside from the engine and trans etc and I would anticipate that any gremlins are likely to be electronic if at all.

Meanwhile i am going to pull off that bellypan and have a look :)

I recall when my '99 was new and I took it back to the dealer for its 1st service, when I picked it up I had to show them how the fairing clips worked, they were just hanging out.

Doggy, make sure you take some before photo's of ALL the fairings before you drop your bike off, and also maybe make a small mark on the oil filter that will show if it is changed or not. Its not that I dont trust the apprentices at the dealers, its just...

This photo from sticking my phone inside of the fairing makes it look easier than it is. The original oil filter has a band or something glued to a cable, I guess to show if its been replaced or not. The dealer specified to me that the warrantee does not require that they do any service at all to the bike, as long as you have receipts to prove that it was done (they even hand you a paper specifying that, which includes a first service price if you choose to have them do it), in this case I bought their oil and filter from them. I have the extended service contract on this cycle like I did on my last one. They were always great with the few problems I ever had with the CBR600.

Now for a question about oil, I used to use synthetic oil for a few years or more with my old CBR, then switched to semi synthetic, then finally the last several years using regular 10w40 cycle oil. The dealer parts/service guy who has been there many years told me that for the price difference there may or may not be an advantage to using synthetic.

What are your preferences with your VFRs?

IMG_03641_zps20732df3.jpg

I recall when my '99 was new and I took it back to the dealer for its 1st service, when I picked it up I had to show them how the fairing clips worked, they were just hanging out.

Doggy, make sure you take some before photo's of ALL the fairings before you drop your bike off, and also maybe make a small mark on the oil filter that will show if it is changed or not. Its not that I dont trust the apprentices at the dealers, its just...

I know! I am cringing at the thought of busted clips overtighted bolts and overtensioned chain all of which I have experienced in the past.

SHvar I have always had the best results with a good 10w40 semi synthetic eg Motul 5100

The part going through the header is a metal radiator bracket, it connects to the radiator bottom and the engine (this has dual front mounted radiators). Right in front of the header is the cooling fan connected to the back of the radiator. Thats the bracket I had to remove to make enough room to get the filter in and out (under the filter is a bolt head, and one bolt on a plastic mount on the radiator had to be removed), there is a vent hose connected to a canister that goes over the bottom header pipe on the left and hangs out of the bottom fairing behind the engine, there is a 1/2 inch gap between the hose and header pipe.

IMG_03711_zps30ae18e5.jpg

Here is the vent hose over the header pipe from the canister.

IMG_03691_zps5f7c30e5.jpg

With any bike, its servicing in the early miles 10 or 15 thousand(on the vfr), that set it up for the long haul, cause that's when most the contamination and deterioration takes place, and long term issues can be avoided down the road. Brake fluid, clutch fluid, and oil.

Ive ran all kinds of oil in the vfr, from car oil, to diesil oil, the high end Mc synthetics, they will all work in their span of time. So what ever tickles your fancy and your wallet at the moment.

Actually I more than dripped oil on that hose, the bracket, other hoses, and header. To get the filter out I had to turn it sideways, and slightly down to fit through that space, so it had to drain suspended in place for a minute. Im sure I missed a little bit somewhere.

Maybe next oil change I might use another oil, maybe not, Ill decide that when that time comes. I have some synthetic high temp brake fluid that I will flush the old stuff out with maybe in a year or 2, I like the feeling of a properly bled brake or clutch. When I flushed my old CBRs brakes the first time they worked so well I had to get used to them all over again.

• Member Contributer

I had a friend who use to take a ice pick and stab t wo holes in his(oil filter) so they would drain and then he would remove them .

Never seen the need but with the 8 gen mite help.

That rubber line looks like a drain vent line from the charcoal canister, the 6th gen just has an open port , no line. It might be interesting to research this, as you might just be able to ditch that line.

Here is a quick question. Is the center stand removable? I would assume it was but you never know if the exhaust is in the way or if they put some kind of dumb switch in it to keep the bike from working without it on. I ask because I know a gent that took his 6th gen to Road America for a track day and got low sided on the center stand.

Get the standard model and you wont have a center stand, adjustable front suspension, remotely adjustable preload on the rear suspension, anti-lock brakes, TC heated grips, etc. I personally wanted all of that stuff. Im not sure how it comes off, I havent looked at that yet, having too much fun riding it.

When is the first service due on these bikes, 500 - 1000 miles!!!. Get my bike sometime this month and want the first service out of the way quick.

Archived