2002 Stutter And Quit

C4cycle

Just riding home from work tonight, my bike started stuttering badly between 3-4000 rpm, very jerky throttle response as I accelerated away from a light. Throttle response was delayed and then surged around 4000 rpm, so I grabbed the clutch and it stalled. Thinking 'Oh great, what is this all about?' I pulled into a parking lot to have a look. I had just changed the oil, so I made sure there was no filter leak or something, decided to try starting it, and it started fine, idled fine @ ~1200 rpm, no further issues on the rest of my ride home. Any ideas? Anyone seen this sort of behaviour before?

2002 w/ABS, ~66,000kms.

I did some reading on recalls and whatnot, I doubt my bikes been in for the wiring harness (I just bought a month ago). This sounds like an electrical issue, yu think? FI is like that, I suppose. Any way I could confirm?

Look for a Nick or notch in the VIN plaque (on the chassis RHS).

I did see a notch in my VIN plate. Is that some sort of identifier that my wiring is affected?

I haven't seen the issue since (only rode maybe another 200k or so). Planning to take it into a dealer for them to update the sub-system harness. Is there anything else needs addressing at 64,000kms? I don't know the service history (tho I could likely get it)?

Thnx in advance.

The issue reared it's head again after not happenning for a while. Some sort of pattern seems to be developing: It happens after riding for at least 1/2 hr when the bike is well warmed up, is rectified by turning off the ignition and then restarting the bike, is attended by a loss of power and rough running. This last time (today) the engine didn't quit when I pulled the clutch, but seemed to be operating on less cylinders, rough idle, very rough under acceleration.

I read a bit of the electrical issues that can plague the 6th gen, specifically another member with an 02 that seemed to behave like mine on occasion. Seems maybe the main harness off the B fuse (powering the engine controls, etc.) might need some attention, maybe some loose connections somewhere that could be affecting my fuel injection? Thoughts? Would the engine potentially behave like this if it was an electrical connection issue?

I will have a look on my next days off, also planning to book my bike in for the harness recall.

Thnx for any help, can't wait to smooth things out and put this issue to bed.

Archived