Moorpark To Nashville!

So, the purpose of this ride is to meet up with my brother who lives in Nashville and my father who lives in Bigfork, Montana. My dad's trailering his bike to Nashville, I am riding mine there. As the three of us live in three different states, this trip allows us to get together and ride Tail of the Dragon and build great memories.

My dad's 72, I'm 46 and my bro is 48, so it's getting to be where we won't always have these opportunities. They both ride Harleys, so I'll stick out a bit, but it's all good. We still also ride some surrounding areas.

Now, the ride so I left Carlsbad this morning around 10 am. Went east on highway 78 and then up the 15 and the 215 , finally catching the 40 east. I have done about 500 miles today, the bulk of it I'm high temps. Barstow was 98° and Needles was 109°! Right now, Flagstaff Az is in the high 60s.

Tomorrow I am heading out for New Mexico. I plan on 500 each day. I think that puts me in Tucumcari, Nm. I'll verify with phone in a bit.

Places to avoid? Don't get gas in Needles unless you have to, at least if you are heading east. Go on through to exit 9 in Arizona, gas is a lot cheaper. I learned that from a guy from Oklahoma. Also, if you are camping, and you stop at a campground, make sure you have a pad to lay on. I forgot mine and my tent site at Woodley's KOA is gravel. WTF? Oh, and the wind is blowing hard. My tent is rather loud! Time for ear plugs.

I don't have pics yet, they are on my camera. I'll post them when I get to a computer. I'll update this tomorrow. Good night!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Google maps shows Flagstaff to Tucumcari, NM on I-40 to be 495 miles.

If you have a few extra minutes to get off the interstate at Winslow (exit 252) you can stop at the plaza that memorializes the Eagles "Take it Easy" tune, located at 2nd and Kinsley. Good photo op. http://goo.gl/maps/rjS6j

7797465910_044d997b46_z.jpg

Baileyrock has a good route from Nashville to Franklin NC that we took going to TexasMac last year.

He might have it saved on his computer as a route, maybe he would share if you asked nicely?

Lots of backroads, rolling hills, etc. It was lively. :-)

My wife and i are headed that way too... riding the Natchez Trace for the next few days... just can't seem to get started

Hi all,

Yes I made it, I have been here a couple of days. Going riding tomorrow here in Nashville area then over the weekend to Deal's Gap.

Nashville, at least the Brentwood area, is beautiful!

I'll see if I can upload pics soon.

The last leg, from Fort Smith Ar KOA to my brother's house in Nashville seemed like it took forever, partially due to do much road construction. At one point, I was stopped on Highway 40. Helmet, gloves and jacket off. Why oh why hasn't the rest of the United States not legalized lane splitting? It literally is a health issue to be stuck in 96° weather with high humidity and no shade.

I'll tell you this, after three previous days of +-500 mile days, I was very ready to get off my bike! The next day I helped my brother detail my father's Harley Roadking and also washed and polished my bike up gave have her a well deserved coat of wax!

TNRabbit,

I got your PM and I replied. Cogswell, thanks for the tip, I'll stop there on my return trip!

I did stop, by chance, at a few cool places. I have got to upload the pics! I don't know what my brother had planned for tomorrow. I know we are riding in the morning.

I'll see if I can get them tomorrow. If not then probably after Tail of the Dragon.

Till then!

• Member Contributer

For a monent I thought you were posting pics, but it is your sig line :goofy:

Maybe breakfast at

post-8974-0-88224500-1404474543.jpg????

(I had really been speeding up the hill to that place, not a cop in sight.... As I walked in I knew why... the local law en fire services were having breakfast too... :goofy: )

My wife and i are headed that way too... riding the Natchez Trace for the next few days... just can't seem to get started

That should be boring. The Nachez trace is actually pretty boring except the northernmost 30 miles, pretty nice riding and a lot tighter than the rest but heavily patrolled.

I bravely fought with a Dragon today and emerged victorious! Gawd what a road! I ran it once and I'm addicted! Don't ever let anyone tell you a VFR isn't a fun bike. My red Japanese mistress performed magnificently and I got waved by, by four different sportbikes that couldn't run the pace I was.

Mad props to the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires. They just keep surprising me almost daily. The have some real grip in them.

Riding with my dad and brother today was a memory I'll cherish forever too. It was a fantastic day. Hella great roads, hella great scenery and hella great company!

By the way, Cherohala Skyway is a great ride too!

Unfortunately we were only there for Sunday. Man, I could ride that road daily!

• Member Contributer

So Lint, now that you've ridden these roads, how would you say they compare to roads like Latigo Cyn in Malibu?

Buddy...glad ya made it safe...hope Dad and the Bro had a great time. Better of gotten a bazilian pictures or it didn't happen. Have a safe trip home.... talk to you then...:p

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Duc2V4,

The roads are similar in a way, but the Dragon has better visibility, I.e. you can see the next curve coming up, our at least more of what's ahead. Also, it's flatter, whereas Latigo etc are hills, but, I think after running the Dragon I'll be faster at home.

Duccmann,

I got a few pics, my dad and bro got pics too. I need to get them all on a hard drive and put them all together.

See you when I get back.

I was closer to theDragon than ever before this weekend (Clingmans Dome), but it was driving a Yukon XL with the entire family and the some.

Great to hear you made it and survived unscathed!

• Member Contributer

Duc2V4,

The roads are similar in a way, but the Dragon has better visibility, I.e. you can see the next curve coming up, our at least more of what's ahead. Also, it's flatter, whereas Latigo etc are hills, but, I think after running the Dragon I'll be faster at home. Duccmann,

I got a few pics, my dad and bro got pics too. I need to get them all on a hard drive and put them all together.

See you when I get back.

So what your saying is, we need to do a Malibu run when you get back! I've ridden with Duccmann a few times but you and I haven't met yet, so what better way to make a face to face introduction than to do a Malibu ride together. I'll bring the 6 Gen so I can round off the square edges of the tires, too many commuter miles. Duccmann, need to see you there too!

• Member Contributer

Congrats, Lint. and welcome to the east. Too bad the hurricane kept you from the coast

• Member Contributer

Dont know how I missed you i was there for 11 hours and did 255 miles on the Dragon. Can never get enough .

Mich Pure's were screamin for some relieve .

I did take a 30 minute break and cool off. Water temp was 55 .

Duc2V4,

Sounds great, I'd love to meet you. I'll let you know when I'm back in town and my butt stops hurting....

wrestler, I'm not sure my knees could have handled going all the way east, I'd definitely need to get a different seat, some lowered pegs and raised bars!

Archived