Vfr Newbie

Guest BarneyFife

Guest BarneyFife

Hey guys. I am looking to get a 09 VFR. I have always been a CBR1000 guy but have aged a few years. Do you all think an old school super sport guy could find the same level of enjoyment on a VFR?

• Member Contributer

You won't be flying the front end of a VFR as easily but you sure will last a lot longer in the saddle. I'm past most of the moto shenanigans now-a-days but can't hop on a Goldwing or a HD yet. The VFR is a great fit for me.

• Member Contributer

If you can take pulling over and waiting a few minutes for the CBR young squids to catch up, the VFR is a good bike for you. Give it a try.

I have a couple of friends that ride VFRs and they keep up with the CBRs just fine. In fact THEY are a little hard to keep up with. I am planning on riding one of the VFRs in a couple weeks to try it out. I am looking forward to the ride!

• Member Contributer

Yup - you'll love it.

Love your screen name - I wonder how many here don't know where it comes from . . . :biggrin:

I am sure a few of us remember good old Barney. I have always been a big fan and just watch a few episodes of the Andy Griffith Show the other day.

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Post up some pics if you pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Midlife,

I have a 2005 VFR and it really is a great bike. Even though I weigh too much for the stock suspension, it is still really fun in the twistys and I don't have much issue keeping up with even liter bikes in the canyons. Sure they may leave me on a straightaway, and yes, on a track they would probably lose me, but I've run with Ducati, BMW, Suzuki and Honda in canyons and have either stayed right with them or kept them in sight. This was tight stuff and more open roads.

Plus, I just rode my VFR from southern California to Nashville. Then on Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway and back to Nashville. That was a 400+ mile day and the trip to Nashville was over 2000! I did four 500 plus mile days.

I'm not saying this to be boastful. Rather to point out that the VFR is a real all around bike. Rail it in the canyons or run it all day on the tarmac. She's ready and willing for either!

I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6'2" or about two meters tall and I was still able to do this in relative comfort, my knees being the only real sore point, but usually only after quite a few miles.

Buy the bike, you won't be disappointed.

I've got a decent sports bike, but I still enjoy my VFR plenty. If you find the suspension too soft as standard, you can always improve it too. The VFR would have no trouble keeping up with litre bikes except on straights - if they're really trying.

You'll like the V4 too, every owner does.

• Member Contributer

Midlife,

I have a 2005 VFR and it really is a great bike. Even though I weigh too much for the stock suspension, it is still really fun in the twistys and I don't have much issue keeping up with even liter bikes in the canyons. Sure they may leave me on a straightaway, and yes, on a track they would probably lose me, but I've run with Ducati, BMW, Suzuki and Honda in canyons and have either stayed right with them or kept them in sight. This was tight stuff and more open roads.

Plus, I just rode my VFR from southern California to Nashville. Then on Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway and back to Nashville. That was a 400+ mile day and the trip to Nashville was over 2000! I did four 500 plus mile days.

I'm not saying this to be boastful. Rather to point out that the VFR is a real all around bike. Rail it in the canyons or run it all day on the tarmac. She's ready and willing for either!

I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6'2" or about two meters tall and I was still able to do this in relative comfort, my knees being the only real sore point, but usually only after quite a few miles.

Buy the bike, you won't be disappointed.

Get BLS or some other peg lowering blocks.

Archived