Neutral Switch And Light

wasmeneh

My Y2K has develoved an issue 28000+/- on the clock.. The neutral light will sometimes not come on and since this happens the bike thinks it's in gear and won't start. Sometime I can massage it a little and it will come on and then it will start. Noticed a couple of time the light doesn't seem as bright or king of flickers. Other than this everything works as it should. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

• Member Contributer

I would suspect a failing neutral switch or a loose electrical connection to the switch. What are you refering to when you say you can massage it to get the light to come on?

The bike should start, even in gear, if the clutch is pulled in. If yours doesn't you may have a bad switch at the clutch lever.

When I say massage it, I mean shift up and down untill the light comes on. It seem worse when the engine is warmed up but had it do it once or twice after bike had been sitting.

Thanks

Mike

Oh How do I find the Neutral switch?

Thanks for the diagram, I checked the manual and I can't find anything in it about how to remove it. Just a blurb about removing the throttle bodies to check continuity of the switch. Is it accessable foe testing or do I have to tear appart a lot of stuff. She's glowing brightly right now with the engine cold.

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Member Contributer

On a gen 5 it's part #7 on the crankcase partzilla fiche..at $9.89 it is the cheapest way to eliminate incredibly annoying behavior.

Easy to get to as well being on the right side between the oil site glass and rear brake.

Thanks found it and will order one. From the parts diagram I was looking at the left side, my bad.

Thanks again

Mike

I did that the first time too. Between the diagram showing the left side and the manual saying it was under the throttle bodies, I was looking nowhere near where it really was.

I checked with Service Honda and two other sites, each one wanted more for shipping than they did for the part. I'm going to check my local dealer first before I order online. $12 shipping seems pretty high for such a small part.

Mike

Took mine apart cleaned it and put it back together will try it out after it cool daown outside a little.

• Member Contributer

I checked with Service Honda and two other sites, each one wanted more for shipping than they did for the part. I'm going to check my local dealer first before I order online. $12 shipping seems pretty high for such a small part.

Mike

Took mine apart cleaned it and put it back together will try it out after it cool daown outside a little.

Good idea !!!

Mike

Call Keith at Mason City Honda. He is usually very reasonable on shipping and offers VFRD members a discount on parts pricing.

• 1 month later...

Archived