Clutch Wrist

rallen0223

On my 95 Vfr 750 I cranked the clutch lever all the way down but am still getting pain in my wrist. Anyone got any idea how to take weight of the pull off the clutch Levert or any other suggestions. Thanks much

• Member Contributer

You could try lubing the cable, which may go some way to making it a bit lighter to use.

What cable?

Make sure you do hand stretches. Not much you can do to change the lever pull on a hydraulic clutch. You could try rotating the clutch MC on the bar to change the lever angle.

• Member Contributer

I have a different take. I have no doubt that cleaning and lubricating the mechanical bits will help, but I think you have an ergonomic problem. How much bend is in your elbows when you ride? When I first started riding sport bikes, starting with a Ninja 250, I would often get pain in my wrists due to not spreading the load between legs, abs, and wrists. I often rode with my elbows in almost a locked position to straighten my back. Over time, I learned to spread the load.

If you were having pain in your hands, I could see that working on the mechanical bits would help a lot. If you are going to ride for hours at a time, ignore your ergos, increase your pain. I make no apologies for lowered pegs, aftermarket seat, and risers on the bars, and my backside, quads, and shoulders have thanked me. I'm currently considering aftermarket levers and/or different gloves to give my clutch hand some relief. The gloves are probably the culprit, but my old glove supplier dropped my favorite model.

Take Ibuprofen or Aleeve. I have the same problem on long rides, and I take an Aleeve before the ride and have no problems. Make sure the lever is adjust all the way in.

Thanks for all the help. I have set the lever all the way in but I think the damage was already done for that ride. I'll try that ibuprofen and lubing the cables after my next ride if the problem persists. Thanks a bunch

• Member Contributer

Regarding pain relief:

I've recieved joint pain advice from a doctor who assists on Mt. Everest expeditions. He suggested pre-medicating with naproxen (Aleeve) for a couple of days before your anticipated event. It builds up in your blood stream thus relieving pain and inflamation. Then stop taking it after the event. (It contains a NSAID which comes with warnings.)

• Member Contributer

I have wrist issues, just the pulling in the lever motion. It comes and goes but i have found the "ace wrist support" to help things, helps not cure. Its a soft brace even fits under my glove. Take the time to grease the lever pin, spray lubes seemed only temporary here.

• Member Contributer

There mostly for racing but i guess you use could them on the street but a big air tank would be needed

pingel_universal_shift_kit.jpg

The universal kits are adaptable to any application by fabricating the universal shift cylinder support bracket to your configuration. In some cases, you may have to make your own bracket. Step by step instructions with photos to aid in installation are included. In some applications, the use of a frame tube mount clamp will make the installation of the shift cylinder support bracket easier. Choose from two different models.
vert_line_9_33.gif
Kit #77401 - 7/8" Bars
Kit #77401 - 1" Bars
List: $869.95
Your Price: $760.95
You Save: $109.00
Specify
Bar Size:
7/8 inch 1 inch

http://www.pashnit.com/product/pingel/easy_shift_kit_suzuki.html

Top one is a Power Commander and the bottom one is a Pingel .

Regarding pain relief:

I've recieved joint pain advice from a doctor who assists on Mt. Everest expeditions. He suggested pre-medicating with naproxen (Aleeve) for a couple of days before your anticipated event. It builds up in your blood stream thus relieving pain and inflamation. Then stop taking it after the event. (It contains a NSAID which comes with warnings.)

I would be wary of this. Pain is the body's way to tell you something is wrong, harmful. I've been advised never to pre-medicate as it masks the danger signals so you can do serious damage. Climbing Everest is an extreme feat calling for extreme measures.

If the wrist pain is from operating the clutch, I would do the following:

. Wrist strengthening and flexibility exercises

. Get professional advice from a physiotherapist or chiropractor

. Try to use the clutch less: perfect clutch-less shifting

. Consider getting the Factory Pro shift star to improve shifting (I know nothing about this product other than reading their web site)

. Try to position the clutch lever so that your wrist is straight.

. I don't know that having the lever close to the grip is good... you don't want to be stretching to reach it, but neither do you want to be curling your hand up tight. Experiment here.

. See if you can move the clutch perch inboard. This will give you more leverage. That trick worked wonders for me on the enduro. I used to get tired fingers in a 3-hour cross-country and had to resort to using 2 fingers on the levers, which then meant I wasn't holding the grip so well. Moved the levers inboard and now I use 1 finger for the whole race, no problem at all.

If the pain is from simply holding the handlebars, try to hold the bike more with your big leg muscles instead. Your hands should be almost neutral so that your can steer freely. Also, move your butt on the seat every 10-15 minutes. Even 5mm will change the angle of all your joints fractionally, which is a very good thing. Don't ride in one position for hours until you get sore, by then the damage is done.

There mostly for racing but i guess you use could them on the street but a big air tank would be needed

They're not air powered, AFAIK. They are merely a switch on the gearshift that triggers an ignition (and sometimes fuel) pause just long enough for the shift to happen without load. But by preloading the shifter and operating the throttle you can do clutchless shifts, just not at full throttle.

Thanks for all the help. I have set the lever all the way in but I think the damage was already done for that ride. I'll try that ibuprofen and lubing the cables after my next ride if the problem persists. Thanks a bunch

NO clutch cable on that bike. Hydraulic clutch.

• Member Contributer

They're not air powered, AFAIK. They are merely a switch on the gearshift that triggers an ignition (and sometimes fuel) pause just long enough for the shift to happen without load. But by preloading the shifter and operating the throttle you can do clutchless shifts, just not at full throttle.

A friend with a Wee-strom claims he shifts clutchless at full throttle without blipping the throttle, just relying on the rev limiter. Never had the nerve myself but often use the throttle blip method (as I'm sure many others do). Even if you do use the clutch to shift, for the most part, it's only into the friction point a half inch or so.

• Member Contributer

I've received joint pain advice from a doctor who assists on Mt. Everest expeditions. ...

Talk about Adventure Touring!!!

• Member Contributer

My situation was winter camping with heavy snowshoeing. My knees woud get v painful due to the heat/cold cycle they were subjected. It's anti-inflamation action was what helped the situation as well as pain relief.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the poster who inferred you need bar risers. Even with Heli bars my wrists and neck hurt like hell first rides on my VFR. LSL risers with Honda 919 bars and peg lowering helped a LOT.

Archived