Regulator Rectifier Issues

• Member Contributer

Anybody had any issues yet? I am highly considering a Gen 8 in the future, but don't want to be among the hordes of VFR riders who enjoy bulletproof reliability while standing by the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. One would think this issue is fixed in Gen 8? I will offer a free cookie at TMAC next year to any Gen 8 rider whose RR goes out .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Anybody had any issues yet? I am highly considering a Gen 8 in the future, but don't want to be among the hordes of VFR riders who enjoy bulletproof reliability while standing by the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. One would think this issue is fixed in Gen 8? I will offer a free cookie at TMAC next year to any Gen 8 rider whose RR goes out .

You got me there a minute, I was thinking "holy shit, an 8th with R/R problems already?"

- Honda has a habit of contracting for a bazzion of a part on a bike and running it for years and years. I think this may be the case in point on VFRs. So the older style shunt was under contract and Honda being cheap was determined to use them all....

-- Anyhoo, my understanding is that the CBRs have been converted to MOSFET R/Rs and I would think Honda got the message on the old design and the new one for the 8th should be a Mosfet design too.

Anybody with a new 8th look to see the part number on the R/R?

The 6th gen RR's rarely fail on their own, I think most of the replacement stems from not understanding the 5th gen and below had much more real RR issues,( that reality) just transferred over via paranoia , all vfr talk tends to meld together amongst models. IMO most go after the RR first on the 6th gen, but that's usually not where the issue lays.

• Member Contributer

Free cookie .

:pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

I would be shocked, stunned, flabbergasted, astonished AND astounded if the Gen 8 has the same R/R problems.

• Member Contributer

The 6th gen RR's rarely fail on their own, I think most of the replacement stems from not understanding the 5th gen and below had much more real RR issues,( that reality) just transferred over via paranoia , all vfr talk tends to meld together amongst models. IMO most go after the RR first on the 6th gen, but that's usually not where the issue lays.

This.

It's usually the stator that goes first on the late model 800s the R/R is just an innocent victim.

• Member Contributer

This.

It's usually the stator that goes first on the late model 800s the R/R is just an innocent victim.

Let me rephrase the question: have the electrical issues been improved on the 8th gen? Were they better on the 7th gen? I realize it was very much a different animal, so may not apply to 8th gen technology that is more in line with previous VFR heritage.

• Member Contributer

I would be shocked, stunned, flabbergasted, astonished AND astounded if the Gen 8 has the same R/R problems.

I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

You got me there a minute, I was thinking "holy shit, an 8th with R/R problems already?"

- Honda has a habit of contracting for a bazzion of a part on a bike and running it for years and years. I think this may be the case in point on VFRs. So the older style shunt was under contract and Honda being cheap was determined to use them all....

-- Anyhoo, my understanding is that the CBRs have been converted to MOSFET R/Rs and I would think Honda got the message on the old design and the new one for the 8th should be a Mosfet design too.

From the parts fiche . . .

31600-MJM-D11

7th gen (2010) 31600-MGE-641

6th gen (2009) 31600-MCW-D61

8th gen can be found on Hondaparts-direct.com - maybe others by now too.

• Member Contributer

the 1st thing i do with EVERY honda i get is beef up the charging and ground wires.

doesnt matter if its 30 years old or band new.

i just did my pals new cbr1000rr before it was even out of the dealership. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

From the parts fiche . . .

31600-MJM-D11

7th gen (2010) 31600-MGE-641

6th gen (2009) 31600-MCW-D61

8th gen can be found on Hondaparts-direct.com - maybe others by now too.

Less watts I assume ...

• Member Contributer

This.

Do you know how the failed stator damages the R/R? I would think a failed stator stops making juice via either leg to leg or leg to ground short, or leg open. Is it the resultant remaining phase imbalance that kills the R/R. Just curious.

Ive had stators fail on various bikes, but ive never had a rr fail yet, even though they say one can take out the other. But its also known, that you cant truly test an RR without a good working stator.

The 6th gen RR is a definite improvement over previous models. No failures on mine. Stators last average of 50k miles as a consumable item. Then there are a few connectors that over time will corrode and fail if left unattended. I had no problems for 5 years and 50k miles. Fixed the problems and was still good 40k miles later.

I now read significantly more about 6th gen electrical woes since the bikes have aged. If Honda did not improve the 8th gen electrics we likely will not know for another 5 years.

Running 4 halogen bulbs on the 6th gen had certainly upped the amps and exposed wiring vulnerability. I would expect the 8th gen LED headlamps lower amps will reduce wiring problems. Hopefully the lower power draw will mean a cooler longer lasting stator and less over stressed connectors.

Running 4 halogen bulbs on the 6th gen had certainly upped the amps and exposed wiring vulnerability. I would expect the 8th gen LED headlamps lower amps will reduce wiring problems. Hopefully the lower power draw will mean a cooler longer lasting stator and less over stressed connectors.

Surely this only holds true if the owner rides around on high beam 24/7. Who would do that?

Surely this only holds true if the owner rides around on high beam 24/7. Who would do that?

I think its the opposite, people that use less of the voltage supply can have more issue, Hid's and led replacements of incandesant bulbs, have to dissipate more of the excess supply.

I think its the opposite, people that use less of the voltage supply can have more issue, Hid's and led replacements of incandesant bulbs, have to dissipate more of the excess supply.

I was thinking the same, at least for the RR. Less output from the stator being used up by the bike's lighting system = more surplus energy the RR need to transformation into heat that needs to be dissapated......

Yeah I have no factual data on the matter, but I run electrics and devices and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect my stator life. But a stator that's not putting out a strong voltage may cause higher amperage draw, that could be an issue with wiring, but Im not an electrical engineer.

If you pinch the female end of the connectors down, NOT all the way but enough for it to snugly hold the male connectors, it will alleviate most of the overheating contact issues associated with the stator & R/R.

• Member Contributer

If you pinch the female end of the connectors down, NOT all the way but enough for it to snugly hold the male connectors, it will alleviate most of the overheating contact issues associated with the stator & R/R.

yes.. MOST... for a while.. so like i said.. i chop that crap off and hard wire . the 1st thing i do with EVERY honda i get is beef up the charging and ground wires.

doesnt matter if its 30 years old or band new.

i just did my pals new cbr1000rr before it was even out of the dealership. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

This.

Do you know how the failed stator damages the R/R? I would think a failed stator stops making juice via either leg to leg or leg to ground short, or leg open. Is it the resultant remaining phase imbalance that kills the R/R. Just curious.

As the insulation on stator windings breaks down due to heat cycles they short against one another, and the stator will put out lower voltage/more current. It is the extra current that will fry the R/R, and the battery if the condition isn't corrected for an extended period.

Of course it doesn't always happen that way, but enough to be common. A lot depends on the overall condition of the charging system as a whole, and how it's used/maintained by the rider.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My 6th gen has just fried its second stator in 3 years, so it's on its way. No guarantee the new one won't either, I suppose.

How many miles on the original?

Was the second unit OEM, aftermarket or a rewind?

How many miles on the second unit?

I was thinking the same, at least for the RR. Less output from the stator being used up by the bike's lighting system = more surplus energy the RR need to transformation into heat that needs to be dissapated......

The 6th gen has to produce enough power to run all 4 headlights and fan at all times but rarely needs to so there is a lot of surplus power that is shunted to heating up the R/R. This also can heat up the stator. The lower draw of 8th gen headlights mean the system can be designed with less need for surplus power and excess heat.

The '02 VFR had a recall to up the output of the original design stator because too many people were running high beams during the day and battery could go dead if the fan came on for a long time as in stuck in traffic. Upping the output of the stator may have added to the over heating and reliability problems some are experiencing now. Upping the output on a balanced electrical system design is not likely good for the balance of the system.

My 6th gen has just fried its second stator in 3 years, so it's on its way. No guarantee the new one won't either, I suppose.

How many miles on the original? 24,782

Was the second unit OEM, aftermarket or a rewind? Rewind, I think

How many miles on the second unit? 42,995

Archived