Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

28 minutes ago, 01ragtop said:

Sound clips?  A drive by or camera mounted during a test ride would be awesome. 

BTW, that looks great. Nice work. 

Sorry, dont have the tech for that, but it sounds pretty nice. Might be a little soft for some tastes but it suits me fine.  I haven't actually ridden it yet because I still need to mount the preload adjuster.  The Staintune I had on there was a little bit louder, especially w the baffle out.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. 

It was expensive, but damn it looks and sounds awesome! I'm so happy it fit-it was a huge gamble. If it didn't work I'd have been seriously SOL:)

When I factor in that it's very nicely made in titanium, and comes with a nicely machined passenger foot peg to replace the stock one it kind of evens out the cost factor-for me anyway. 

By the way, I have the Staintune high mount for sale:)

11 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Awesome job! Hats off to you, this is by far the best looking 8th gen I have seen so far. 

Now, time to see if the 5th/6th gen catless headers fit :)

Hah-I'd love to de-cat it, but first I'll have to recover from the trauma of installing the slip on:)..so much digging..the whole back end had to come apart down to the subframe practically.  It's a wonder I didn't crack some plastic or have a leftover pile of mystery clips and fasteners. 

Love the bike but working on it is a pain.  Funny, when I was younger I didn't mind, now I just want to ride it.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't compete with SlfAware, but I mounted the Pipe Werx GP3 for an 98-02 VFR on my 2014 VFR.  The only thing I had to source separately was the clamp that connects the link pipe to the Cat.  Everything else was a perfect fit.  Pics and a sound clip.

20160918_183242.jpg

0447c9f3-172e-439b-a45b-d57403169825.jpg

23 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

This doesn't compete with SlfAware, but I mounted the Pipe Werx GP3 for an 98-02 VFR on my 2014 VFR.  The only thing I had to source separately was the clamp that connects the link pipe to the Cat.  Everything else was a perfect fit.  Pics and a sound clip

That thing looks good and sounds good, but dang dude those reflectors gotta go:)

8 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Yeah, I know. Just haven't gotten around to it. When I get free time, I want to ride so it hasn't been a priority for me. I notice my license plate frame was broken too. 

Just giving you a hard time:)..I'm the same way-limited free time and I'd way rather ride than wrench..guess that's why I'm overdue for an oil and tire change and still have all the warning label stickers on there..

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, SlfAwre said:

That thing looks good and sounds good, but dang dude those reflectors gotta go:)

I'm predicting this is gonna fall on deaf ears.  Partly because most of the aftermarket cans in this thread are illegal in CA and partly because those cans are slowly making you deaf.  But removal of those reflectors is yet another thing that can earn you a ticket in most states, including CA.  No shortage of CA residents in online forums whinging about the tickets they've been getting, either.

Do as you wish but be aware that while the cans by themselves currently are not primary cause for a stop in CA, the lack of reflectors or at the very least a half-hearted substitute for the factory's DOT-mandated bits are cause for a stop and may result in subsequent administrative pocket-picking for that and whatever else the cops can find at the time.

Ride safe!

• Member Contributer

In the UK the only legally required reflector is the red rear one.  I haven't heard of anyone in CA getting a ticket for removing the side reflectors, but then I haven't lived there for 20 years.  However, my one CA-based bike doesn't have them, either.  I'd be curious to learn which C.V.C. Section these California riders you speak of have been prosecuted under.  Is it a "fix-it" ticket, or something more serious?

Ciao,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/19/2016 at 11:34 PM, SlfAwre said:

I agree. I took reflectors off. They dont do much of anything good. If you wanna be seen put on more side marker lights.

I have the PIPEWERX can of the same style and love it. I have the high mount. I didnt buy it, but a friend found it. I think it Delkevic. Pipewerx is nice. The finish can scour easily but I think they all do from the mounts rubbing them.

• 7 months later...

Well I put an Akrapovic slip onto my VFR today!

Can't say that I have noticed any difference though. Still sounds the same, didn't notice any extra power and if anything, it felt a little bit heavier. :tongue:

Pouring down with rain atm and I've got limited room on my patio so no room for a decent pic with it properly installed.

Overall it was easy to install. The only hassle was fitting the centre stand stopper rubber into the Akra's bracket and torqueing the clamp with my 1/2 drive torque wrench adapted down to a T45 was fiddly.

Can't wait for the weather to clear up a bit to get out and try it on the road and take better pics.

2017.jpg

5 hours ago, Audible said:

Well I put an Akrapovic slip onto my VFR today!

Can't say that I have noticed any difference though. Still sounds the same, didn't notice any extra power and if anything, it felt a little bit heavier.

That must be disappointing! I'm toying with the idea of getting one, so I'll be interested to see if your opinion changes.

Otherwise, does anyone have a Remus exhaust? There was one installed on a showroom VFR which sounded good with the baffle out.

42 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

That must be disappointing! I'm toying with the idea of getting one, so I'll be interested to see if your opinion changes.

Otherwise, does anyone have a Remus exhaust? There was one installed on a showroom VFR which sounded good with the baffle out.

Oh, I'm sure my opinion of it will change once I've ridden it with the exhaust installed instead of strapped to the pillion seat in a box. :cool:

Archived