Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

There is something not quite right about that. Maybe its the cone shape and looks too long. I do like the angle its swept up at tho

My thoughts exactly. I really like that you can see the wheel, and I like the noise but the look...just doesn't quite work. No one else makes a high mount for this VFR though, which is kind of suprising to me. Maybe because the high mount really hampers fitting luggage.

There is a high mount for the crossrunner from some Japanese company. Looks like it'd fit. Stock parts look identical between the two bikes. I'm really, really tempted to chance it. Any thoughts on my odds of success? :smile2:

post-34766-0-88075300-1460609041.png

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be awesome. Who wants to be the guinea pig?

I'm within inches of going for it, but it's megabucks. If it doesn't fit it's really gonna suck. Crossrunners don't even exist in the USA so zero chance of re-selling it (domestically anyway) if it doesn't fit.

Looks so good though, and I think you could ditch the pegs too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the Ixil exhaust, received it in 2 days from Indiana.  I'm still up in the air on my decision though...  The small pipes have a different tone than what I'm used to, more raspy than a growl.  I took the db killers out of both and after a trip through downtown Madison with the tall buildings paralleling me I went back home to put them back in.  Too loud for my taste.  With them in it's ok, but it's not the same reverberation you get with the volume in a "regular" can.  Also the proportion of the the pipe to the rest of the bike is just a little off.  I do like how more of the rear wheel is visible.

I suppose while I have the old can off I'll see what I can do to modify it.  I actually don't mind the factory muffler other than the sound of course.  Aesthetically, I think it looks good.

P4230379.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hmmm......I have a 5th gen. stock muffler sitting on the floor of my garage right next to my 2014 VFR (Interceptor?).  Next time I remove the rear wheel for a new tire I will bolt it on and see the sound and appearance differences.  If I don't like the difference, I will likely have a 5th gen. can for sale.  The prices for aftermarket bolt on's are rather unrealistic for what they consist of and what they don't accomplish.  Buying a different sound for a bunch of money doesn't make sense to me but we're all different, thank goodness.  ; )

On 4/25/2016 at 3:08 PM, perseverantist said:

Ordered the Ixil exhaust, received it in 2 days from Indiana.  I'm still up in the air on my decision though...  The small pipes have a different tone than what I'm used to, more raspy than a growl.  I took the db killers out of both and after a trip through downtown Madison with the tall buildings paralleling me I went back home to put them back in.  Too loud for my taste.  With them in it's ok, but it's not the same reverberation you get with the volume in a "regular" can.  Also the proportion of the the pipe to the rest of the bike is just a little off.  I do like how more of the rear wheel is visible.

I suppose while I have the old can off I'll see what I can do to modify it.  I actually don't mind the factory muffler other than the sound of course.  Aesthetically, I think it looks good.

That Ixil is the best thing I've seen so far!

Well, after 9 months with my 14, I went with the Akropovic.  Beautiful craftsmanship.  Finally got to ride with it a little today, and I couldn't be happier.  It's been said it is not much louder.  That is true, but the sound is so much better--just what I wanted.  At idle it sounds like a motorcycle now, but I can still leave the cul-de-sac at < 6AM without disturbing the neighbors.  It sounds great while accelerating without being obnoxious, and it is perfect when cruising steady.  Having a sure fit with my factory bags was a factor, too.  I'll need more time to evaluate temps, MPG, power but I doubt Honda would endorse this one in Europe if those weren't fine.

The only con was a Torx 45 that I didn't have...

Just installed my Akro yesterday.  RC79Scott you summed it up perfectly.  Great sound, fits perfectly and looks good.  I was surprised that it was not real loud.   I luckily had a torn 45.  

One thing I found was that the specified torque on the muffler clamp seemed like it was over tightening it.  Did anyone else feel this?

14 minutes ago, Tbone322 said:

Just installed my Akro yesterday.  ...  One thing I found was that the specified torque on the muffler clamp seemed like it was over tightening it.  Did anyone else feel this?

Yep, I kept looking at my torque wrench to make sure it wasn't stuck or something.  I had already tightened it with a ratchet to where I thought it was almost torqued, but it kept turning and turning until my wrench finally clicked.  The clamp is almost closed on mine.

My clamp is closed.   I still didn't get a click but have to be darned close.   It's a new torque wrench and it's a good one so I know it's not off calibration.   I figure run it a few times and re-tighten.   I love the look, way nicer than stock.

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Have changed my stone-damaged carbon Scorpion for this, Arrow 'Race-Tech', £236 and arrived from Italy in a week which I thought was good. Nice sound, not that loud with the baffle in (can't go upsetting the rest of the village) but much deeper tone than stock. At 2.6 kilos it's about .5 kilo heaver than the carbon can but still only about half the weight of the Honda monstrosity. Can is longer than the Scorpion but the link pipe is a bit shorter so it only extends back as far as the wheel rim and sits a bit higher. Pretty happy with that.

2016-06-04_10.JPG

2016-06-04_8 Arrow fitted.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

If I didn't want the style of the Ixil, I would have a GPR.

I'm guessing there are still no headers? Something that gets rid of the cat and allows a small muffler to take its place? The Ixil does a decent job of showing off the wheel, but I'd like if it were completely out in the open.

• Member Contributer

I got the Ixil exhaust.  I like the style and option to run it with both db killers, only 1, or both removed.  Makes it a little more tunable IMO.  I made a short video of it.

• Member Contributer

Hi NodakVFR.

Nice video, I've been running the IXL for around 6 months now and love it. I've often thought of the option of running one db killer, however I do like its sound with both removed. Today I lead a group ride of 7 riders on a 330k trip, a buddy of mine following me on his beemer made comment on just how nice it sounds, as well as comments on how nice they look - its all personal opinion though, there's a good range of nice pipes out there now for the 8gen.

Cheers.

Grum

P1010078a.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 6/4/2016 at 6:41 PM, fatshoutybloke said:

Have changed my stone-damaged carbon Scorpion for this, Arrow 'Race-Tech', £236 and arrived from Italy in a week which I thought was good. Nice sound, not that loud with the baffle in (can't go upsetting the rest of the village) but much deeper tone than stock. At 2.6 kilos it's about .5 kilo heaver than the carbon can but still only about half the weight of the Honda monstrosity. Can is longer than the Scorpion but the link pipe is a bit shorter so it only extends back as far as the wheel rim and sits a bit higher. Pretty happy with that.

2016-06-04_10.JPG

2016-06-04_8 Arrow fitted.JPG

Looking at this in white, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARROW-SILENCER-NOKAT-RACE-TECH-ALUMINIUM-WHITE-CUP-C-HONDA-VFR-800-2014-14-/161806008449?hash=item25ac63c081:g:SrcAAOSwT6pV3Zaq

Got any videos of how this sounds?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, duccmann said:

Grum, thats the nicest looking pipe I've seen yet for the 8 gen. ..beautiful

Thanks duccmann, I appreciate your comment. Interesting the IXIL was half the price of the Arrow Pro Racing I had on it previously!! Do like the option of fitting either one or two db killers, but I like it with non.

Cheers.

Grum

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:38 AM, Grum said:

P1010078a.jpg

That is a very nice looking bike for sure.  The IXIL pipes look very well balanced.  It doesn't overwhelm that part of the bike.  The angle in which it sits is visually correct. 

11 hours ago, Nelix said:

Hi Nelix, I'll see if I can get one on my phone. Just so you know - the link pipe on these isn't a separate piece like the photo on eBay, it's welded to the can.

2016-06-04_7 Arrow fitted.JPG

Archived