Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

• Member Contributer

It passed the sound meter test. Not sure there's anything else to say.

Administered by the same folks who thought all aftermarket cans were illegal. :laugh:

FYI, NRS 484D.415 requires all vehicles to have mufflers, and "muffler" is defined as a device with baffles.

Have fun!

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All.

I am selling my Arrow Pro Racing exhaust ( see more pictures on Page 25 of this thread) I have three sets of exhausts so one has to go. The Arrow is carbon tipped has had very little use and are in absolutely perfect condition ( no scratches, marks, dents), they are highly polished Nickel/Chrome. They are compatible with the Honda panniers. It took me 5 weeks the get them and cost me $834AU. Asking $600AU hopefully to someone in Australia or overseas if they are happy to organise shipping. If you are local I will happily fit them to your bike if needed. Email me if interested grumsmith@hotmail.com

Cheers.

Grum

So what pipe are you using now then Grum?

Hey Grum out of the three exhuasts you have which did you find improved the power, if any, and which sounded the best? Cheers MADMICK.

• Member Contributer

Hi Dogman and Madmick.

Gone to the ixil L3X Black and love it, no real difference in sound between it and the Arrow but the ixil really looks the part, more modern, aggressive and shorter in length. Madmick as for power I can't really tell the difference between all three, perhaps its just my riding style! and sound wise I would probably be splitting hairs between the Arrow and the ixil, but if I had to chose I'd go with the ixil.

Cheers.

Grum.

Hi Dogman and Madmick.

Gone to the ixil L3X Black and love it, no real difference in sound between it and the Arrow but the ixil really looks the part, more modern, aggressive and shorter in length. Madmick as for power I can't really tell the difference between all three, perhaps its just my riding style! and sound wise I would probably be splitting hairs between the Arrow and the ixil, but if I had to chose I'd go with the ixil.

Cheers.

Grum.

Grum, would you be up for a ride one weekend? I'd love to hear first-hand what the IXIL sounds like. Plus I've yet to find another 8th-Gen rider to come out with the missus and I;- I still don't know what the bike looks like in motion (too busy doing my own looking deep into the corners around Kinglake/St.Andrews!)

Cheers - Cam.

• Member Contributer

Hi Dogman and Madmick.

Cheers.

Grum.

Grum, would you be up for a ride one weekend? I'd love to hear first-hand what the IXIL sounds like. Plus I've yet to find another 8th-Gen rider to come out with the missus and I;- I still don't know what the bike looks like in motion (too busy doing my own looking deep into the corners around Kinglake/St.Andrews!)

Cheers - Cam.

Hi Cam.

No problems for a ride. I am retired so have week days free as well. Can you send me an email with phone contact and we could arrange something.

Cheers.

Grum.

Question about the iXiL, can it be mounted without the passenger peg/bracket? Since its so short it looks like it'd be sturdy enough without it and that would clean up the rear even more...for those that ride solo of course.

• Member Contributer

Question about the iXiL, can it be mounted without the passenger peg/bracket? Since its so short it looks like it'd be sturdy enough without it and that would clean up the rear even more...for those that ride solo of course.

In my opinion absolutely NOT, only supporting the exhaust via the clamp onto the cat converter would be very risky. Without the support at the other end at the foot peg I'd reckon some bumpy roads would have the thing snap off.

Cheers Grum

So I read through every single page of this thread, googled for hours and narrowed the list of exhausts that I deemed acceptable down to three. My criteria were:

- not obnoxiously loud

- Looked good and showed off as much of the rear wheel as possible

- Worked with Panniers

The options were the Arrow Proracing system, the DAM, and the SC-Project conic. In the end, the SC-Project won out. This is a different model of the SC-Project to one that was showcased in this thread: http://motoroar.com.au/honda-vfr-800-f.html

I've ordered one (which has to be built and shipped from Italy). I'm expecting it sometime around Christmas.

When it arrives I'll create some videos (with good audio) for comparison.

Of all alternatives there is, this one really appealed to me! Makes the bike really good looking. I am very near the "add to basket" button. :wub:

Though I can't find anything about fitting with panniers. This is a must! Where did you read this?

(By the judging of photos, it seem to fit with the standard panniers, but I want/need that confirmed...)

So I read through every single page of this thread, googled for hours and narrowed the list of exhausts that I deemed acceptable down to three. My criteria were:

- not obnoxiously loud

- Worked with Panniers

The options were the Arrow Proracing system, the DAM, and the SC-Project conic. In the end, the SC-Project won out. This is a different model of the SC-Project to one that was showcased in this thread: http://motoroar.com.au/honda-vfr-800-f.html

I've ordered one (which has to be built and shipped from Italy). I'm expecting it sometime around Christmas.

Of all alternatives there is, this one really appealed to me! Makes the bike really good looking. I am very near the "add to basket" button. :wub:

Though I can't find anything about fitting with panniers. This is a must! Where did you read this?

(By the judging of photos, it seem to fit with the standard panniers, but I want/need that confirmed...)

It was confirmed in writing by the AU reseller that it was fine with standard panniers. I would check with your local reseller or SC-Project directly though, for peace of mind, just in case the AU guy has it wrong (I'm certainly hoping that's not the case!)

- not obnoxiously loud

- Worked with Panniers

It was confirmed in writing by the AU reseller that it was fine with standard panniers. I would check with your local reseller or SC-Project directly though, for peace of mind, just in case the AU guy has it wrong (I'm certainly hoping that's not the case!)

Thanks Grumpy. I acctually did so but did not get any reply. I guess I ended up in the spam-box. I resent the question and got the following reassuring reply:

"Dear customer, yes of course don’t worry.

Our product fit properly also with bags.

Regards

SC Project"

So Christmas present to myself is solved, then. :happy:

Thanks Grumpy. I acctually did so but did not get any reply. I guess I ended up in the spam-box. I resent the question and got the following reassuring reply:

"Dear customer, yes of course don’t worry.

Our product fit properly also with bags.

Regards

SC Project"

So Christmas present to myself is solved, then. :happy:

Great news - happy early Christmas to you!

New can is on with no problems, really easy job. Looks good, sounds good, weighs a lot less. I weighed the Scorpion with link pipe at 1.99 kg before I put it on and the OE can at 4.96 kg after removal, I work that out at 4lb 6oz compared to 10 lb 14oz. (I think, words not numbers were always my thing!)

post-13632-0-14802200-1446984376.jpg

post-13632-0-30981600-1446984418.jpg

post-13632-0-27463500-1446984456.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New can is on with no problems, really easy job. Looks good, sounds good, weighs a lot less. I weighed the Scorpion with link pipe at 1.99 kg before I put it on and the OE can at 4.96 kg after removal, I work that out at 4lb 6oz compared to 10 lb 14oz. (I think, words not numbers were always my thing!)

Looks like a Serket Taper. All I see on their website is the Parallel. Do you have video? Looks really nice. How does it sound?

It is a Taper, bought it on eBay. Yes, they don't have it on the website (?) but it fits perfectly so the link pipe at least is obviously right. Sounds great, not much louder than stock with the db killer in but a much deeper note. I work odd hours and have nice neighbours so baffle out is not a long-term option! Will see what I can do about video at the weekend.

So the SC Project exhaust finally arrived. I was so excited I nearly hyperventilated ;)

Fitted it last night. It's slightly louder than stock with the baffle in but has a much deeper note. It's MUCH louder without. I haven't ridden with it out yet but I will on the weekend - for now I've left it in because I like my neighbours.

Pics of before/after. I love the way it looks, very sleek.

Before:
post-34119-0-85924700-1448493534.jpg

After:
post-34119-0-35745300-1448493570.jpg

And here's a comparison video - stock vs baffle vs no baffle. I recorded this with professional microphones and recording equipment because I wanted to give a decent sense for how it sounded.

• Member Contributer

Question from this. Does new pipe retain centre stand?

From the video I gained feck all info about new pipe apart from it sounds a lot meatier when the throttle is continually blipped, not that I spend my day going round blipping throttles on a cold bike.

What I would have preferred was to hear a comparison of the pipes with the throttle held at say 5k for 5-10 seconds in the open air as opposed to being reflected off garage walls.

Make us all jealous at this time of year padding around in your shorts n bare feet in the sunshine. Lol

Well I ain't gonna go back and put the other pipe on just to do that for you, sorry :wink: .

I'll start by saying the bike wasn't cold - took off the old pipe hot as soon as I got home from work (and changed). It took about 20mins to get the new one fitted.

Garage walls or not it still shows just how different the sound is (which was my goal, precisely 0 videos of this pipe on this bike existed so wanted to make something to demonstrate). The garage is the only flat ground I have at home - I wasn't gonna drag all the recording gear and tools somewhere else flat in order to do it outside. Not ideal I know, but I did my best to minimise the amount of reflections being picked up by using careful mic placement.

Besides, it's meatier at idle too, so that's two things you gained - also that it looks far better - should we make it 3? :wink:

Yes, new pipe retains centre stand - although it hangs a little lower now due to a lower bracket - it hasn't changed the ground clearance (I don't think - the exhaust appears to still be slightly lower) but I'll definitely be looking for a rubber pad that's thinner than the stock one to regain some of the clearance (reused the stock rubber bumper).

Archived