Missing Some Power, Maybe Tp-Sensor?

Guest derdiek

Guest derdiek

Hello, I am new to this forum.

My name is Manuel and live in Germany.

I just bought a VFR 800 ´01 with 35000km.

When accelerating it feels like it is the same if I open the throttle 100% or 75%, it just feels the same and I think there must be some power missing because when I drive in 4th or 5th gear (there it mostly happens) sometimes I get a short loss of power at about 9000 rpm. It only happens when having full throttle and only in this rpm area. When I say short, I mean its about 200ms. After this loss of power, the machine accelerates again directly. There is no light flashing or any other symptom of electrical problem. But maybe there is something wrong with the fuel or ignition system.

So I started measuring the sensors today and found something unusual (for me) when checking the TP-Sensor which is mounted to the throttle-system.

I disconnected the grey 22P connector from the ECM and measured the light-green and green/orange pins. In idle state I measured 840 Ohm and when opening throttle the resistance raises to 2,2kOhm, but at about 75% of the throttle the resistance goes down again to 1,7kOhm. For me this means the potentiometer is worn.

Could someone of you verify if the resistance is ok or not? In the service-manual they want to use a test-box which is only 2000€ in Germany without the cables :-) and I don´t want to disassemble the connectors to put wires inside to measure the voltage.

Thanks in advance!

Manuel

Manuel - welcome to VFRD!

As this bike is new to you - do yourself a favour before doing anything electrical and lift the gas tank to inspect your air filter. Rodents have been known to build their houses on top of the air filter and that could be your issue.

Just ask MAXSWELL........

• 1 month later...

I´ve made a big service when I bought the bike. So the air filter, sparks, oil, thermostat are new. It is not an original Honda air filter but the problem was already there with the old parts before I made the service.

I also noticed that the bike does not run with the same power when the motor is below 65°. It feels like getting into a "hole" when opening the throttle at low rpms.

Archived