California Highway Patrol Ad Campaign

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

It's nice to see ads on TV aimed towards cage drivers to keep an eye out for motorcycles..

wow, that was a cloudy issue at best when I lived there. some said it was ok as long as you were only going x number of mph, others said no, etc, etc. It was confusing at best

• Member Contributer

wow, that was a cloudy issue at best when I lived there. some said it was ok as long as you were only going x number of mph, others said no, etc, etc. It was confusing at best

Still confusing as ever...as there is no exact law limiting lane splitting, just a "guideline" and you can get a citation at anytime for doing it as it's at the discretion of the officer issuing the citation whether he/she felt you were not following the guidelines. A risk I am willing to take any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Splitting lanes, heck even being able to ride in the carpool lane has saved me countless hours of sitting in traffic.

• Member Contributer

I have never seen or heard of anyone pulled over for splitting or filtering personally. CHP always move over and make room for me to split by them so I'm sure as long as you're not riding like an idiot you're fine.

• Member Contributer

The ad on tv is great, but makes me wonder if the CHP is worried that state government is going to succeed at changing that vehicle code, which someone at the capitol is always trying to do. Hopefully, they are spending that money to help keep motorcyclists safer, cops included. :unsure:

As for the "cloudiness with chance of meatheads" , mcr, the vehicle code here allows 2 vehicles to occupy the same lane at the same time, cars and bikes, as long as it is "safe" and at a reasonable speed, hence the term "lane sharing". If your experience and skill level allow you to do that , it is much safer statistically than sitting between cars that are speeding up and slowing down. Especially now that half the drivers behind you are looking at their cellphone or GPS, or high! :mad:

As for the "space cushion" from MSF class, that is a matter of your comfort with your ability to control that distance, be it 6 inches or 6 feet. Be aware of your surroundings, have confidence in your ability to control your position and motorcycle, and like Duc said, lane sharing is very advantageous and less dangerous. One very good reason for living in California if you ride. :fing02:

Ded

• Member Contributer

It's amazing to me how many cagers in this state think it's illegal. Maybe this'll educate 'em if they see it.

The last time I talked with a CHP I asked about the rules of splitting lanes...he told me no more then 15 mph splitting not to exceed the speed limit. take it for what its worth. I split lanes every single day going to work and really really have to pay attention to all the Nimrods out there... think they just don't know what they don't know... but there are a large number of people that actually get over for you and I always think them with a wavey

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I have installed a modulator on my '02. It has REALLY made a difference with the splitting awareness factor. In the past perhaps 10% of the traffic would give way or clearly move away from the center line and at least an equal amount would seem to crowd the center either intentionally or just from sheer stupidity(texting/phone/eating/make up application and on the 101 reading) NOW at least 30-40% give way to some degree and virtually no one crowds. There will always a few Assholes who "don't think its fair" that we split, however...

I think it's good CHP has issued some guidelines, and tried to make the cage drivers more aware of motorcycles,

and our God given right to lane split. :happy:

I'd rather not ride in that kind of traffic, but when I do would rather split traffic than be stuck in it.

Not just the freeway, filtering up to red lights in city traffic can save a ton of time.

And I'm not slowing anybody down one bit like I would if I was in a car.

Those car people stuck in traffic should thank us for doing our bit to reduce it. :beer:

Archived