2014 Vfr Caution

VFRRelic

• Member Contributer

Shouldn't we be hearing from the Down-Under contingent? I thought that's where Honda does its beta testing?

• 2 weeks later...

Found out that Honda is promoting these rims as special. They are hollow aluminium which in this very statement does not make me think they are strong. I am awaiting a recall so hopefully I can get my $2,400 back.

• Member Contributer

Why are you awaiting? Have you not contacted Honda Canada and Honda Japan? :unsure:

Found out that Honda is promoting these rims as special. They are hollow aluminium which in this very statement does not make me think they are strong. I am awaiting a recall so hopefully I can get my $2,400 back.

Honda is promoting the whole bike as special. Its called marketing. Who are the wheels made by? Hollow cast wheels are not new tech & have a good record in service. You stated that the front tyre was inspected & found to be damaged. Had you checked the tyre pressure prior to riding the bike? If the tyre was inflated correctly & its sustained damage then its pretty obvious you hit something substantial on the road & you should be contacting your insurance company rather than screaming product defect.

Yup my R1 front wheel is hollow as well. Even with the huge brakes, it weighs the same as the Vfr wheel! I have been throwing big clutch up wheelies at it all day every day and haven't broken it yet lol XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wheels on the CBR600f4, f4i, 600rr, 929, 954, 1000, etc from about 1999 on are all hollow spoke cast aluminum alloy wheels, also the VFR1200 has them. In fact kawasaki, yamaha, and suzuki have used them as well many others on most of their sport bikes and other cycles for several years. This just happens to be the first VFR800 with hollow spoke cast aluminum alloy wheels.

• Member Contributer

I'm a bit skeptical about this.

A don't think a rim can damage a tyre.

Tyre and rim damage is from hitting something bloody hard.

I replaced my rear rim not long ago after hitting a huge hole, front went over it as I was gunning it.

It wasn't a crack or anything, but a dent on the left side, tyre was fine.

I suspect it hit something by owner, or before he got it.

Yeah I have a dent in my old factory front wheel. The tire was fine after the impact and stayed balanced and held air fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Time to update and close this issue.

There are only 2 incidents that I am aware of.

The dealer is supporting me and has never seen this before. He has still not received wheels from Honda to replace the ones he gave me of another showroom unit.

I had an engineer look at the wheel. He felt it should be given to a metallurgist to X-ray and examine. Too much money.

Someone said it could be a development wheel, I have unit #9.

A claim has been made to Honda, no reply I am aware of.

Insurance covered part of the damage, of course Honda did not.

I am the only person to drive this bike as I was there when it was taken out of the crate.

The pressures were checked when we took it out of he crate.

I am done. The bike is great and I am enjoying driving it.

Thanks for all the comments people have taken the time to provide, both positive and negative.

• Member Contributer

I'm taking delivery of my 8th Gen today. I am in New York City where the pavement maintenance makes most third world countries laugh hysterically, so if anything will be a test of the bike's fortitude this will be it. I'll chime in if and when I notice anything worrisome.

• Member Contributer

Most 3rd world countries donot have pavements, just dirt..... :-)

But having visited NYC twice, I catch your drift...

• Member Contributer

Dirt here would be an improvement over the pavement, especially after the damage wrought by this past winter.

Let's see if my wheels are still straight and intact by 8pm. That would be about three hours of riding. :wink:

I am in New York City where the pavement maintenance makes most third world countries laugh hysterically, so if anything will be a test of the bike's fortitude this will be it.

Ever driven on many Pennsylvania roads, my last trips to NY state I enjoyed how smooth some of your roads were in comparison (at least from what I saw from the PA line all of the way to Syracuse). I regularly get bumped around pretty hard on many of our roads, sometimes its part of the fun to dodge potholes riding in PA (not really). Im sure NYC has plenty of nice "tank traps" to negotiate while riding also.

Archived