2014 Vfr Caution

VFRRelic

I get my 2014 VFR 7 days ago. I am a 67 yr old very conservative driver. I took it in for the first service and hold on:
The service manager informed me the front wheel was BENT and CRACKED. On further examination the rear wheel was determined to be BENT. What did you hit he asked? I do not remember anything that made me think, now that was hard! I have been at the same dealer for 30 odd years and they are at a loss as to what happened. When they unmounted the front tire they determined that it too was compromised.
A consensus seems to be developing that they shaved too much weight from the wheels with the consequent loss of strength. If you get a 2014, and it is a great bike, I love it, this should be kept an eye on, and inspect after any rough ride.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Relic

• Member Contributer

I've seen a couple of emails on the google VFR list saying the same thing. One fellow had an issue on a test ride.

Really? That's surprising.

In our CAD/CAM world, and the number of years Honda has been building motorcycles, one would think that it would be fairly straightforward to design a set of new wheels.

I mean, they know the stresses involved, and have a wealth of information about existing wheel designs, and the strength they offer.

Durability and materials testing is absolutely a standard part of the production process, so WTH happened?

And, before anyone says anything, yes, I know, the wheels are manufactured by Enkei for Honda, but the same things apply.

Enkei is a major wheel manufacturer for cars and have been supplying Honda MC wheels for a long while.

• Member Contributer

Surprised they claim the wheels are bent but you never noticed any difference in handling. Odd situation and a major bummer on a brand new ride.

Wow that is concerning. I love the wheels on the VFR as well those dark gold with thin spokes look fantastic. I didn't check mine before trading it back in 2 days later but I should have. Did you get the Deluxe or Standard? Hows the ride quality, I had all sorts of problems with the front suspension and with no adjustability I couldn't tolerate it.

Like any manufacturing it might be just a bad batch so could be a very limited number of wheels but it would be very disconcerting because a wheel failure can cause major rider damage so if there is a problem you would think Honda will action something very quickly. They do extensive testing & if the wheels had a design floor surely it would have shown up during testing because they don't just ride on smooth hot mix.

• Member Contributer

I've seen a couple of emails on the google VFR list saying the same thing. One fellow had an issue on a test ride.

Links? Cant find any trace of these.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vfr-list

It is a closed/moderated list, but here is a direct link (not sure it will work w/o a subscription):

8th gen wheel thread - Looks like Relic started the thread there as well.

• Member Contributer

Like any manufacturing it might be just a bad batch so could be a very limited number of wheels but it would be very disconcerting because a wheel failure can cause major rider damage so if there is a problem you would think Honda will action something very quickly. They do extensive testing & if the wheels had a design floor surely it would have shown up during testing because they don't just ride on smooth hot mix.

For sure, Honda did make the wheels ..

Links? Cant find any trace of these.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vfr-list

It is a closed/moderated list, but here is a direct link (not sure it will work w/o a subscription):

8th gen wheel thread - Looks like Relic started the thread there as well.

Can't get in, can you cut/paste so we can see? With Relic starting both threads my step with caution light is flickering on

• Member Contributer

I sent this thread to the 1 Dutch owner I know of a new 2014; he inspected his rims and sees nothing untowards. May that stay that way!

"With Relic starting both threads my step with caution light is flickering on", I agree, with no other sources yet I will watch for more examples but not condemn an entire new cycle model. Id be interested in seeing a photo of the wheels in question.

I am very skeptical about this.

Both wheels and the tire are damaged. Does not sound like a defective wheel. It would take a severe impact to damage the tire.

A new owner hits a curb hard, goes to dealer, is he going to admit causing the damage?

Was there too little air in the tire?

Was the bike test driven by others?

Years ago I worked for a major tire manufacturer, you would be amazed at the claims customers made when they brought tires in that blew out. In all those years I could always find a puncture in a blown out tire regardless of who made it, they were usually near the blow out, and on a close belt. Another was sidewall bulges and bent rims with obvious damage from potholes, curbs, etc. There are a few new VFR owners in the UK who have had there bikes for weeks now, see if any of them comment.

Mine comes in next week, I already have a VIN number and my insurance set up, all i need now is for it to show up at the dealer.

• Member Contributer

"With Relic starting both threads my step with caution light is flickering on", I agree, with no other sources yet I will watch for more examples but not condemn an entire new cycle model. Id be interested in seeing a photo of the wheels in question.

On the VFR List thread Relic started, another person (also in Canada) reported the same sort of thing after he "hit a couple of expansion joints" on a test ride... :unsure:

Ciao,

Anyone in Europe who has seen the same damage? They've had the bike for an extra few weeks. So far I hear crickets.... Maybe someone took that one for a very wild test ride, and you wonder why almost all dealers dont allow test rides.

Well i am still waiting to see the damage!! You ride a bike to the dealer for a service and you dont know you have bent wheels and a knackered tyre?. Hope relic posts back soon.

Archived