Low Charge Situation & I'm On Vacation With My 6Th Gen

pres589

I got the old stator out this morning. It looks burned pretty badly like the oem one did when I replaced it. New one in, bike mostly buttoned up, started. After a minute of idling the voltage at the r/r is about 14.45, batt at 14.20. I don't know why the drop increased between batt & r/r. So far, about 10 minutes idling, and the fans came on (as they should) and r/r output actually went up to 14.65. Before it'd drop about .8V or more.

Issue; stator wires before 3pin connector got hot fast. Wires after that connector in the r/r side feel just fine. What the devil? Also have discover right side fan seems inop. Will investigate.

Looking a lot better.

Ack, there is no right side fan, never mind that noise.

You need to cut the 3 pin connector out and direct solder the stator to the rr. It is building up resistance in the connection, thats why one side is hot and the other isn't...

• Member Contributer

Resistance in a leg isn't going to causs what you're describing; I think this is a gauge issue. All I need is a custom wound stator with something more substantial than 18ga wires running to the connector...

Switchblade: I keep forgetting how goofy the cooling system is on these bikes.

• Member Contributer

I thought I would write about how this all went. After 2,000 miles of riding, the bike is fine. I haven't checked the three-position connector between the stator and the r/r yet but I never had a flicker at the voltage display LED over the course of the trip and the bike ran along just fine. Perhaps I need to just change the stator every 20,000 miles or when it dies, which ever comes first? I'm thinking about getting a spare parts box together that stays in my garage and if this happens again I have someone overnight me the box to wherever I'm stranded. Have a new gasket sitting in there and maybe a little tube of Hondabond or similar sealant. I've already got a brand new r/r to start the box off...

Thanks to everyone that threw out ideas, linked me to good threads, etc. I'm actually wondering about having Ricks or someone else custom wire up a stator with heavier leads from the stator connector into the windings. It really seemed like they're smaller on one side of the connector vs. the other, which is horrible engineering, and "should" be corrected but that's always easier said than done.

Archived