Keyless Gas Cap With Hinge?

marriedman

I've been thinking about getting a keyless gas cap, but the ones that I am finding are not hinged. I don't like the fact that you have to hold on to the gas cap. You run the risk of dropping it while fueling up. Anybody know of one?

• Member Contributer

I used to have a bike with a keyless gas cap, but I can't remember what it was. You had to push down on the cap and push a button off to the side a little, which unfastened the cap. Seems like it might have been a 1971 Honda 350, but just kind of guessing.

Just set the cap on the pump, on the ground, not a big deal. That's the way almost all used to be.

• Member Contributer

When I bought my keyless gas cap I envisioned dropping it and watching the thing roll across the parking lot and down into a storm drain. Fortunately, after six hundred thousand million fill-ups later I have yet to drop it. It fits nicely into the map pocket of my tankbag.

182299_535622199782509_1570192174_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks cool, but why do you have that rather than the lockable?

Honestly, I wanted an all black gas cap and was too lazy to tear the stock one apart to paint it. Plus a lot less wear and tear on the key.

That looks cool, but why do you have that rather than the lockable?

For me it would be strictly convenience. Plus I don't like my keyring hanging down enough to scratch the tank.

In Bristol a several years back, CaptainApe lost the carbon fiber cap on his RSV4. We spent time in Lowe's trying to source a replacement in the form of a plumbing test plug. One day like that and I bet you never have it happen again.

Okay Dutch, that works.

MarriedMan, keyring? I've never, ever, ever used a keyring on a bike. Ever, Never, ever.

my first bike was a 1977 CB550 honda. had the ignition key on my keyring along with all my other keys. went through the original ignition switch, and then two more before i found out the only key on the ring should be the ignition key. all the extra weight and bouncing around from all the other keys kept frying the ignition switch. in conclusion 1 split ring, 1 ignition key, 1 small day-glo tag so you wont lose it

• Member Contributer

Totally off the topic of the original post, but I use one of these. Used to have a boat key on it, now have one for each of my keys. Shortened the little rope loop so it doesn't flap around much, it is easily visible, and soft so it wont scratch anything. Plus it floats!

On the topic: I had a keyless tank lid on my monster because I wanted it solid black or silver colored (stock was gold w/ silver ring). I was going to take it apart to paint, but I managed to break off one of the tabs that the hinge pin passes through while trying to drive the pin out. After learning how much a new cover costs, I opted for aftermarket which meant no key and no hinge. Not sure what material honda casts their cover out of, but be careful if you opt for disassembly and painting.

• Member Contributer

Okay Dutch, that works.

MarriedMan, keyring? I've never, ever, ever used a keyring on a bike. Ever, Never, ever.

Yep, no key rings for me, never ever, too.

Okay Dutch, that works.

Yep, no key rings for me, never ever, too.

I have the bike key, luggage key and my house key. I didn't think that was too bad. It's not like I have the janitors keyring.

james2.jpg

Truth be told, this is the keyring I have now:

mkKWqyIkONTXR1ArLm12vlA.jpg

meh. The keys don't come off and go back on very smooth/quick either.

• Member Contributer

This is what you need

http://www.lowes.com/pd_33292-37672-701278_0__?productId=4712763&Ntt=key+rings&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkey%2Brings&facetInfo=

one side on your bike key, other side hooked on your zipper pull on your jacket or suit.... Keys in your pocket.

• 2 months later...

Archived