Gutted Stock Exhaust Too Loud

C4cycle

I recently picked up a 2002 VFR, exhaust was fully gutted by previous owner. I personally find it too loud and will at some point replace it with an aftermarket set of silencers. However, having just bought it (and subsequently tapping all available funds for the time being) I would simply like to reduce the DBs on the cheap. Any suggestions? Is there a simple baffle I can have welded? Stuff it with steel wool? I'm a little new to street bikes, not sure whats possible or how exactly to affect the change.

Cheers,

C4

It was a few years ago but I bought a stock exhaust for $75. They were going on ebay for about that price since many were buying aftermarket exhausts and the stock cans were going cheap. Post a want to buy ad in the classified here and check out ebay for a while to see if one shows up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-vfr-800-oem-exhaust-mufflers-/151320643111?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233b69c627&vxp=mtr

Here you go

I will take a pic when I finish work today, it has the end caps on, seems to be pretty empty in there tho.

As for making any purchases, I was hoping for a quick easy fix as I would just buy a Delkevic for $400 otherwise (unless something local came up in Vancouver).

Well, I had a better look. Looks like a hole saw was used (the cat is fine). End caps are in place, looking inside I can see small diameter pipes close to the larger outlets. I guess it is what it is. No easy fix. Pony up for replacement OEM (which are a bit too quiet fir my liking) or aftermarket. I was just hoping one stuff steel wool or some such in there as a tried method. I see thats not likely as it would just fry.

• Member Contributer

If you can pack it somehow but think steelwool will burn or blow out as capn stated glass packing holds up well. If you can get cheap oem's and just start with smaller holes drilled to get some sound back, just not as big as current.

WHAT!!? :)

Its a careful balance for sure. Love the sound, just not too much. I love it when its good and bass-y, but not over the top. I have a friend who is a phenomenal welder, maybe we can figure something out. Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't had the bike for lonh at all, but wow is it growing on me!

• Member Contributer

I don't know how it sounds now with the gut using a holesaw method, but a full gut, e.g. cut off the end cap, pull out all the guts and re-weld the cap, sounds pretty nice.

You may want to try that - Nothing to lose in your situation.

True. Its probably not that different than a full removal. I have to say tho, I like the look, sound and price of Delkevic's and will likely go that way soon. Why not fiddle with the stock cans in the meantime?

• Member Contributer

isn't there an aftermarket set in the cassified's now, make an offer

My understanding is that most aftermarket cans are not necessarily louder (w/baffles), just nicer sounding, good bass. Maybe I'm wrong. I will try the classifieds, they are usually a hassle tho, as most offers are not in Canada. Shipping trans border isn't the best. But, one must try, its true.

Lots of aftermatket cans like Staintunes come with silencing tip "spud" that can be removed by the owner if one wants a louder sound from them. The spudded pipes are much quieter that ones without them, but still louder than stock.

I suggest you find a muffler set with the silencing spud feature, so you have at least the option of running the loud or silenced.....

• Member Contributer

My Remus cans have that feature and it's nice to have. It probably seems a more dramatic difference to passerby than to the rider. I've been running them with the spuds out.

The "spud" / baffles in the pipes I put on my Ape were just metal cones with a bunch of holes in them, stuck inside the pipe.

Think an orange road cone, shrunk to size and perforated along the sides.

And made of metal of course. You might be able to make your own. :comp13:

Ok, ya. Thats kinda what I was hoping, fab up a simple insert, steel tube with perf holes. I might just try that. Should last just fine out of nearly any steel. Cheers.

And yes, there seems to be a number of removeable baffle options out there (delkevic is one that has the option for baffle or not).

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I didnt know stock exhausts were only worth $100. yeesh

I have perfectly stock exhaust from my 07 vfr800 if you are interested.

I didnt know stock exhausts were only worth $100. yeesh

I have perfectly stock exhaust from my 07 vfr800 if you are interested

My feelings exactly, I have a stock set from my 05 sitting in my garage, didn't figure I would get anything for em, so there they sit.

Most of my musings have been based on the fact that I spent about $6000 on my VFR and riding gear, etc. only a coupla months ago. I will almost surely be going with an aftermarket setup after this winter sometime, I'm not a real fan of the stock exhaust (looks) and sound with the guts out. That said, I pretty much exclusively wear earplugs, so it doesn't really bother me as much anymore.

Archived