New Exhaust Concerns

JMS

• Member Contributer

Hello all. I am new to the forum, as this is my first post. I recently (2 months ago), purchased a 2007 VFR800 (RWB), with 900 miles. I LOVE it. I purchased an aftermarket exhaust (Delkevic 8" Carbon Fiber), and noticed that I will have to lose the heat shield on the right hand side of the exhaust..... My question is, should this be a major concern, and also, is there an alternative that some of you veteran riders can recommend in regards to replacing the heat shield with something else?

On a side note.... I am contemplating removing the center stand, (asthetics and weight).....and was hoping some of you who have been riding alot longer than me could weigh in on the pros and cons of doing so....

Not sure about the exhaust, I have Remus and love them, didn't have to alter anything except my license plate. As for the center stand, I would not have a bike without one unless it was a track bike or dirt bike. Love it, the weight is not much and carried as low and centralized as anything could be. It makes changing tires, oiling chain, mounting soft bags all that easier, and when I wheel my bike into the garage, and put it on the center stand it takes up less room and my bike shares the garage with my wood shop tools and a washer/dry and hot water heater.

How do you plan to oil your chain on a multi-week road trip? I just pop it up on the center stand, put it in first gear and let the chain spin, works great.

• Member Contributer

Great point on the center stand. I guess im falling victim to a handful of my peer riders who tend to at times give me a hard time about my center stand. I can see how removing the center stand would give it a cleaner look, but tend to think that functionality is far more important.

My stock exhaust has welded tab in which the heat shield attaches to directly. The aftermarket delkevic does not have that tab, thus nothing to attach the stock shield to. Was just wondering how much of an inconvenience, if any at all, would losing the shield be...

• Member Contributer

Keep that center stand. I'll promise you can't possibly tell the difference riding a bike with or without one and neither can your friends no matter what they tell you. It makes cleaning and lubing your chain SO easy, tire changes are a snap anywhere, and you can fill your tank to the top which is nice on longer rides. Oil changes would also be a pain in the axx with your bike leaned over on a side stand. Then again, the guys I know that say things like center stands slow you down are also the same guys that say you can't wheelie with it and they most likely NEVER do any real maintenance.

My Leo Vince pipes came with a replacement heat shield but I'm pretty sure my boots or pants never come in contact with it any way.

Archived