2014 Vfr800F - Diary

Guest NobbNibble

• Member Contributer

Hi Rob.

Sounds like you need to do the simple wiring mod that SlideRule did to disabled the auto indicators, by removing the front and rear wheel sense wires from the flasher controller.

Cheers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hi all,

my 2cents :cheerleader:

ive just changed from the stock bridgestones to pr4's ( i wanted the pr4GT's but would have had to wait 3-4 weeks, bridgestones were slick 9000kms done had to change now !!)

my vtec transition was un-noticable till about 3000kms, from then till now it seems to depend on the gear im in, i know in 4th and accelerating progresively the transition is not nice if youre not expecting it with a corner coming up, now that im used to the V4 and know the feel/sound i just adapt, unfortunate though, but suportable considering the +'s . when accelerating hard it is quite smooth .

The indicators/turn signals are an absolute HORSES ASS in france !! with the french laws of the rode ( when over taking, indicator must stay on till overtake is completed, day to day is fine but : if your on a duel carrigway over taking trucks for 40kms it has to stay on, nobody told honda me thinksssss ) thousands of trucks from all over europe cross france to and from the uk/spain/portugal/etc ..... each day.

in roudabouts it sucks too and is dangerous for a biker not to use .

that said i still love this bike and it is a keeper .

thanks for the diary Nobbnibble, you really helped me make up my mind last year .

cheers .

I noticed that you installed the arrow slip on at around 2,000 kms (which is close to when you first noticed the vtec change-over more). Any chance there is a cause/effect between the different exhaust w/o db killer and the change in smoothness of vtec change-over?

• Member Contributer

Its probably a red herring but maybe put the noise killer back in for a while and see if it has any impact on the change in smoothness of vtec change over--if your as curious as me that is :)

I am curious because several people on the forum have noticed that there was very smooth changeover at first and then later not as much. One person (OP-Nobby) also said his stock exhaust became much more of a growl over time and I'm wondering if maybe it is an exhaust restriction/tuning thing. But I am no engine expert by any means.

Any feedback from people with Akra slip-ons regarding change in smoothness of vtec?

• Member Contributer

Hi Windyrun and Bonjour Rob.

I have the same exhaust fitted that Rob916 has, it's the Arrow Pro Racing Exhaust. I've had the DB restrictor removed since the day I installed the pipe and have travelled approx 6,000kms with the new exhaust, have notice no change in the VTEC transition. It certainly depends on how aggressive you are on the throttle at the point of transition.

From what I know of my previous model, the ECU manages the VTEC spool valve (to engage or dis-engage the other valves) based on engine temp and RPM. If the RC79 is the same I can't see how an aftermarket exhaust would effect the VTEC transition. (and, after all it's NOT true VTEC, there is no variable valve timing, its two valve operation or the switch over to four valve operation!). Also the aftermarket pipes I fitted to all my previous VTEC Vfr's had no effect. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Grum.

Its probably a red herring but maybe put the noise killer back in for a while and see if it has any impact on the change in smoothness of vtec change over--if your as curious as me that is :)

I am curious because several people on the forum have noticed that there was very smooth changeover at first and then later not as much. One person (OP-Nobby) also said his stock exhaust became much more of a growl over time and I'm wondering if maybe it is an exhaust restriction/tuning thing. But I am no engine expert by any means.

Any feedback from people with Akra slip-ons regarding change in smoothness of vtec?

No issue here, 6000 miles since August, 4500 with the Akra.

post-12595-0-16164500-1421678112.jpg

Archived