2014 Vfr800F - Diary

Guest NobbNibble

Guest NobbNibble

*** UPDATED - JUL-18-2014 ***

Hi All,

So I wanted to create a running diary of what it's like to ride, own and generally live with the new VFR800F, from new to whenever I decide to sell it - which as time goes by is looking less and less likely to be any time soon :-)

The crazy thing is, I bought this bike before even test riding it; much of that decision was based on the reputation of previous generation VFR's and having spoke to a great deal of friends who were/are past generation VFR owners. So back in Feb, when my local dealer told me they would be expecting their first delivery in May, I parted with the deposit and took a punt post lost of detailed discussions on this bikes all round ability to be a Sports-Tourer (i.e. something I could take to Europe or Ireland for a long weekend and not need a chiropractor following to keep me walking, and equally something I could use to get to and from work, but that could eat Motorway miles and be swift and capable around London-Town too) and as usual a solid bike, built only how Honda know-how :-)

Here it is, after first ride home from the dealer 2 weeks ago:

post-30411-0-30362100-1401294198.jpg

0 - 250 Miles

First thing you notice when you fire it up cold, is that it does sound like a sewing machine - or TINNY, as my wife would & younger brother would put it - which is a shame and I kind of agree with them. After a fair few miles and warming up it does get better with more of a bellowing grumble, but to be honest this bike really needs a better sounding exhaust, but Honda have recently got into this habit of pretty poor sounding stock exhausts on almost all of their 800 and less engines that aren't RR badged IMHO. I recently owned a CBR500R and embarrassingly I wouldn't say there's a great deal between how the VFR sounds now and my CBR500R did with it's stock exhaust.

When I sat on It, it immediately felt like a Sports-Bike and I remember thinking "Oh-God!" because I was looking for more of a Sports-Tourer in terms of feel and comfort. I work in the Ambulance Service riding a Yamaha FJR1300A on duty at times, and can honestly say I know what an out-and-out Sports-Tourer should feel like in terms of comfort.... unfortunately the VFR800F doesn't hit any of the markers. The feet are further back on the pegs than you would expect from a Sports-Tourer of the ilk of a VFR and the riding position is more forward than I expected too. Incredibly the CBR500R was more comfortable than the VFR800F. I remember getting sore wrists after just 20mins on the bike, and already felt my back getting uncomfortable before the 45min ride home ended. I put this down to the fact that I've been riding CBR500R and FJR1300A for the past while and I need to adapt to the new position. More on how that turns out later!

My first challenge was getting the layer of rubbish off the tyres and scrubbing them down in the turns. Make no underestimation guys, until you've got those tyres scrubbed almost all the way down to the "Chicken Line", do not throw this bike into corners or accelerate hard out of turns. To be fair I wasn't really able to test handling on the first ride back home, but it still didn't disappoint, It felt light, nimble and eager to turn in, flicking back up out of lean with ease. It sounded great too even with my reluctance to open it up fully as it's due a FIRST-SERVICE at 600miles and you really dont want to be pushing it harder until at least 300 MILES according to the dealer.

The one thing I wanted to clear straight away was when does the VTEC Engine kick in... It's at roughly 6500 REVS and you can feel the bike get an extra surge of power when you hit it, but it's not jerky at all, it's very very smooth and the noise change puts a grin on your face. It's at 6500 and above that it sounds like a true VFR with a lovely grumble and roar when you push it up to 11,000 - 12,000 marker. It's no slouch either, christ does it have tourque! the Front wheel will lift with ease in 1st, 2nd and 3rd from mid-range to screaming and with a pillion on the back, it's even more eager to lift.

post-30411-0-14136400-1401294201.jpg

250 - 500 Miles

So I've taken the bike on Motorways, A-Roads, B-Roads, around town, Into London, Rain, Hail, Sun, Fog and all the rest.

In terms of comfort, my body is finally adapting to the new riding position and things are starting to settle down. Riding 100 miles in one hit feels manageable, albeit there are still a few aches to deal with. Mainly from the Seat, which feels harder than it should and will definitely need a Gel Saddle Cover to make it more bearable on touring. One massive issue is with the Pillion Seat. There is a huge gap between the Rider and Pillion due to the seat design and it does mean the Pillion will often slip forward on braking into the groove left by the gap. The ergonomics of the seat design are shocking, it should come with an option for a lip at the end of the Pillion seat to prevent forward movement and better quality leather cover for more grip. The seat could also do with being much thicker for the more touring minded of us.

The Self-Cancelling indicators are actually dangerous and work so shockingly bad, that I am looking for the wire to snip that disables this feature. On roundabouts, it'll self-cancel when you really really really don't want it to, mid way through the roundabout. It has a mind of it's own too and will decide sometimes to cancel when you complete a turn and other times not to. It's a total waste of an addition IMHO and I would rather have saved the money from the purchase price of the bike. If it were an option I wouldn't have gone for it.

Performance wise, this bike is awesome... I've been able to open to engine up quite a few times now and it's impressive. Low-Mid-High Tourque is all there when you need it and in the right gear, but it really comes into it's own above 6500 REVS as expected, when the VTEC kicks in and the sound is brilliant. I cant wait to see what an Akrapovic exhaust does to the sound (with baffler removed!) when it's finally available. I've had countless conversations with HONDA about options and the only thing I can get are the Rear Panniers - which I have ordered and are being fitted on Monday (Pictures to come) - the Rear Hugger, Exhaust, Tank Pad, 12v Socket, are not yet priced and are expected Mid-July, I'll be adding all of those options as soon as they are released, I bought this bike as a Sports-Tourer and will make it so :-)

Handling is a dream, quite literally. Honestly this bike can keep up with and out-handle the best of em. It just drops into the turns stays there until you're ready to come back up and gets on with it, slow, fast, even, uneven surface, whatever. I cant tell you enough how brilliant this bike handles, you really have to see for yourself, it's a different league. I suppose it's just the entire package, the engine, the chassis, the wonderfully adjustable suspension with for a 75Kg male is just perfect at stock settings.

post-30411-0-07382300-1401294203.jpg

500 - 1000 Miles

So ermmm, I havent put it in for its FIRST SERVICE yet - Doh! I am literally having too much fun with it and are having to take all the discipline in the world to leave it in the garage until it's been through it's first service now. I took it to the hills of Wales with some biker friends (Paramedics, etc..), with following FFR1300A's in tow and boy did we have a great time. The VFR out handled the FJR's on all roads in the Brecons and on the Motorway I was able to keep up with and ride past all the FJR's at ease - dont get me wrong the FJR's had plenty of punch to pull away at higher speeds, but the VFR wasnt left far behind at all, it kept up brilliantly and as we hit the higher speeds the VFR was a hell of a lot more stable.

The wind shielding is great and the design works. The Faring doesn't mean your legs get buffeted out to chicken wing position and I was always well protected from the elements. Whereas the FJR Riders were taking out the UK's population of bugs, I seemed to be the only one (even sat upright) in the group who had a relatively clean and visible visor :-) - Honda have done well with the design of the faring and wind shield, it works and it works great.

We had a fair bit of rain (as usual in Wales), but that didn't stop the VFR from being enjoyable. Stock tyres are clearly very capable in all conditions, and although you take it slower and change your lines to accommodate the wet roads, you could still make progress and the bike never felt twitchy or the ABS never overruled your every throttle response either. The VFR can be ridden smoothly with ease, the throttle doesn't bite and the bike does lurch forward on de-acceleration from throttle, it's all smooth, unless of course you want to be heavy handed and get that highly strung sports bike feel - which I did at times and left the FJR's for dust when the Sun came out.

I am getting around 185 - 200 miles per tank on varied riding, and it is improving, I'm not going to make a call on MPG or L/100km until it's had it's first service, but so far I am a little disappointed at the returns.

The looks are wonderful and at almost every pit stop, I had several come over take pictures, ask about the bike, wanting to jump on it (and most likely ride off quick!) and try it out. the Single side Swing arm, gives it that Italian flair and the Bronze coloured Engine casing and wheels just add to the overall look that makes it sweet!

We ended up riding back late and let me tell you those headlights turn night into day - every bike needs LED headlights now that I have them on the VFR. The LED"s on the wing mirrors give it a really nice touch, but all in all it simply works and looks bloody awesome too.

I have to say at this point I am now in love with the VFR - I almost sold it at around 250 miles, thinking I've been conned into buying a Sports bike that was pitched as a tourer. A few of my police biker buddies have said it reminds them of their old BlackBird Bikes and is definitely more of a Sports feel than tourer, but all in all they seemed to like the position and of course the looks. I am literally finding every excuse to take it out and will put lots more miles on it.

I'm looking forward to getting the Panniers fitted on Monday and will share the pictures and my experience of how the bike handles when they are fully loaded.

So far my verdict is; if you can get past the initial comfort issues of expecting a true Sports-Tourer and let the bike bed itself it, you'll not be dissapointed. It has some minors and really is not going to be a bike that can currently take your Pillion on long journeys, but it will do the miles (quite clearly!) and you'll have the chance to give it beans when you feel like it and not be afraid of pegging out, or having a wallowly bike in turns that sucks your confidence around twisties, like the larger Sports-Tourers.

1000 Miles (Pre-Service - SEAT LOWERED & REAR SEAT COWL ADDED)

So last night I decided after some good advice on here to adjust the Seat Height to it's lowest setting. You can see pictures in the trail of this post on how it's done, but it's a fairly straight forward process and took around 15mins all in all, being very careful and loosing some tools along the way.

I have to say that the adjustment has transformed the riding position totally. Whereas before you were forward and in a more sports position, the new height means you sit deeper into the chassis, slightly back and therefore instantly have a more comfort sports feel. I took it for a quick ride and had to get used to the new position in terms of turn-in at bends and round-abouts - however town and open road cruising was a much better experience. I've definitely found the position I've been looking for from a VFR, don't see any reason why I would ever go back to the original stock seat position.

post-30411-0-36047900-1401611550.jpg post-30411-0-17951500-1401611556.jpg

1000 Miles (Post Service - Rear Pannier Set ADDED)

So I just picked it up this morning from the first service, cost was £159.00 (Approx $260.00), not too shabby, but a little more than I had expected. Nonetheless, I am over the moon to have it ready for longer miles and more road-testing, up until it's next service which is 8000miles OR 1 Year, whichever comes first. I took a punt on the Rear Pannier set, rather than the top-box, mainly because I dont want any permanent fixtures on the bike and definitely not a mounting bracket that would quite simply ruin the wonderful lines this bike has been born with. Panniers suit me fine, pop on/pop off and use when needed. OK they do affect lean angle and if you're extra-careful you'll want to balance the weight well, but all in all, it's "Horses for Courses" and these ponies suit my course all day long.

You do notice the extra bulk when sitting on the bike and be aware that there is significant overhang from these panniers, beyond your wing-mirror edges, I'll need to get exact measurements, but it looks at least 1Inch (give or take). Road handling is not really affected. Apart from the noticeable extra kit and the buffeting on the panniers from traffic wind-turbulence on open roads/motorways, the rest is pretty civilised and predictably Honda (great build quality, solid feel). Also note (clearly) because of their size, you've got reduced lean angles before contact with terra-firma....

post-30411-0-66409800-1401721926.jpg post-30411-0-38162200-1401721933.jpg

I also added a HRC Tank-Pad, which looks great too IMHO :-)

post-30411-0-47428000-1401722031.jpg

The next project is the new Michelin Pilot Road 4's, Rear Hugger, Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust, 12-V DC Outlet and the Quick Shifter, when available next month. For now it's time to get it out on the open road for some serious mileage and all weather conditions testing, including a short trip to the Emerald Isles and maybe even France for a long weekend.

3600 Miles

Hi All, apologies for the delay on the latest update, I wanted to wait until I had a good run with the bike, in literally as many varied conditions as I could muster and the weather would allow. Suffice to say some of my impressions have changed and so has the bike!

So over the past month and a bit, the bike has been ridden for all purposes, Work, Pleasure, Pleasure with Pillion, Work with Panniers fully loaded and a bag on my back, Dry sunny days, Torrential Rain, slippy roads, lumpy roads, races with a Yamaha R1, emergency braking situations (x3), Traction Control kicking in and some life-saving ABS moments!

HANDLING

First things first - The bike still handles like a dream - quite literally it's one of the most well balanced bikes I've ever ridden, from Yamaha's to Suzuki's to Harleys and the likes. It still handles bends and roundabouts like a dream, and the confidence it gives you in the turns is incredible... so much so I've pegged-out on 3 occasions (not clever I know, but just an example on how a relatively new rider like me can be lulled into a false sense of ability given this bikes exceptional handling and balance).

ENGINE

Second thing and most importantly is that the switch in the VTEC is now very noticeable - for some reason as the bike gets more run in, it's now very clear when you go from 2 to 4... There is a noticeable lurch forward and it is no way near as smooth as it was when in the first 1500 miles... This is such a shame, we'll see what happens at it's 6000mile service.

The sound on the STOCK exhaust has become a great deal more "mature" and sounds sweet now. There is the initial startup tin sound, but after a few minutes it really develops a nice bellowing grumble that it didn't in the first 2000 miles or so. In fact it's so good, that I'm considering not putting any new exhaust on it, I genuinely don't think it's needed... that said I do own a Harley and nothing beats that for sound!

Mine has developed a very concerning slip-out-of-gear issue from 3rd to 4th and it's sporadic, but always during harder acceleration. I've also had instances where the bike display hasnt a clue what gear it's in and just spins the number view, until the engine is restarted... very strange and will be looked at.

BRAKING (ABS & TC)

So this is a part of the bike I've become very familiar with.

ABS works and it works bloody well. I've had instances where cars have pulled out on very uneven and sometimes mud laden roads and I can honestly say, if it weren't for the ABS, I wouldn't be in a position to write this blog! ABS performs flawlessly, even in the wet, it just wont let the bike slide - thank god! Interestingly though is that ABS works even more brilliantly on the back brake... I've had instances on wet roads mainly where my use of the back-brake has been interrupted with pressure back on the brake through my foot, removing pressure applied... Quite clearly I am over-using the back brake (need to sort that out), but also the bike is preventing a rear-wheel skid, which when in the Rain is another God-Send...

TC - I've tried so very hard to get TC working and it finally happened twice in one week (just recently)... One instance was on a right hand bend at dusk; came in a little hot on a sweeping right-hander, and hit a manhole cover that caused a sideways slide of the bike towards the hedge - I felt it and immediately attempted to feather the throttle to power traction through the rear wheel to get me out of the slight slight - clearly I put in more power than was needed - instantly the bike applied TC, reduced power ( you can clearly feel it ) and when traction was found, away we went - all intact.... Pretty sure this was another example of the bike saving my life, due to my incompetence! You really do have to try very hard in the wet to get TC to kick in, but I had managed it once when hitting surface water and pretty much causing a split-second aqua-plane.. the TC kicked in, traction found and away we went...

ECONOMY & OTHERS

So I haven't touched the MPG calculator since I purchased it and we're showing 46.4MPG average over the life of the bike. I am getting 200 miles to a tank under a mixture of hard and cruise riding and as high as 240 or so when sensible most of the time.

The HeadLights are exceptional at night - they really do light up the road, better than any bike I've owned.. I know there are other good ones out there, but many will be hard pressed to do it as well as the VFR does!

One of the Panniers developed a crack on it's mounting bracket, Honda say it's not their fault, I beg to differ, so that battle continues. Also one of them dont close well, again perhaps another shoddy build issue, that battle also continues.

Pillion reports it's generally comfortable, but on some roads a little teeth chattery - this can be easily fixed on the adjustable suspension and once sorted, it's like riding on a cloud :-)

Some of reported that the display is hard to see in bright sunlight - well I can tell you that is rubbish.. it's fine in all lights and I love the way it changes from a gold background in day, to the blue lit background at night - very nice touch :-)

SUMMARY

All in all a solid, dream bike that is still a dream to ride and that can keep up with the best of them when ridden by someone who is capable enough to get the best out of the bike. I would still buy one now that I've put over 3600 on mine :-)

BIT OF FUN ON A CHARITY RIDE-OUT RECENTLY:

post-30411-0-35134400-1405719250.jpg

Thats all for now, no options available yet still waiting - when they are fitted, I'll take pictures and send details!

Cheers

Nobby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. - Keep it coming.

Is this your 1st VFR ? ?

Any traction control?? If it has TC a report on that would be interesting..

• Member Contributer

Nice one....errr....Nobb....or Nibble. :goofy:

The test bike I had averaged 47+ mpg and with only 170 miles on the clock and I did abuse it a little.

Your report confirms my impression of the handling.....even better than my 6th Gen and certainly far better than the 5th Gen, even mine with Ohlins & WP Racing springs. I also mentioned to the salesman that I wanted it overnight so I could see the LEDs at work but I don't think he'll let me.

Glad you are settling down with her....it is a helluva package and yr only experiencing the issues with accessories because you've bought it right at the start.

Whereabouts do you live? We manage a few rideouts with mates from London-way so you'd be most welcome.

Keep the reports coming! :beer:

Almost forgot.....new guy buys the beers (if your bank balance can take the strain after your recent purchase)! :beer:

Here it is, after first ride home from the dealer 2 weeks ago:

TWO WEEKS? It took you this long to get on here and brag?!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting pictures of that beaut.

Doesn't this make him the first forum member with an 8th gen?

• Member Contributer

I think you are right... :cool:

-Gotta finagle a test ride somewhere...

• Member Contributer

I think you are right... :cool:

-Gotta finagle a test ride somewhere...

Since I owe you a big favor I can get you a test ride, long drive however lol.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Nice intro post, NN. :beer:

Welcome to VFRD. You might think handlebar conversion vs bar risers. :happy:

Hi Guys,

Good call on the Traction Control Report (I'll have a play with it next week and look for both Wet and Dry conditions to see how it performs) - I'll get that posted on here ASAP, with some pictures of the roads I've been testing it on.

I feel honoured to be the first 8th Gen owner :-). I've not ever owned a VFR before, but honestly it's reputation precedes it & I am not surprised at why! I picked it up on Sat 17th May - so I'm sure there'll be newer owners out there who haven't yet given us their verdict :-)

SKIDS, I am always up for ride-outs and beers (even if I am buying!)...

I feel like I should lower the bike a little (my parents are from the shire and technically that makes me a Hobbit), but alas no lowering kit available, the joys of jumping in on the new bike scene.

More to come, when it's through it's first service and I've fitted a nice Go-Pro to share some video's of if on the road :-)

the Front wheel will lift with ease in 1st, 2nd and 3rd from mid-range to screaming

That's a fairly bold statement.

Thanks for the write up. I am on the fence here. I guess its time to ride one

• Member Contributer

Have you lowered the seat to its lowest setting? (It may come set to that as standard)

• Member Contributer

When you do your 1000 mile checkup can you take some pic's of the air box ?

And thanks very much for the report ...

Just found this excellent forum, When doing a search for this new bike and good to get a report from someone who owns one so hello to everyone. Did not even know there was a new vfr coming out till last weekend, but got out on the demo bike and put in a order for a red one with luggage. Told that i would get it in july, was hoping earlier.

Nobbnibble, is that dunlop roadsmarts that are fitted, forgot to look when i road tested it. The bike i tested came with the seat on the highest setting, you need to get the tools out to move brackets if you want to lower it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the write up. I'm interested to see how you like it after a couple of months. And welcome!

• Member Contributer

Nobbnibble, is that dunlop roadsmarts that are fitted, forgot to look when i road tested it. The bike i tested came with the seat on the highest setting, you need to get the tools out to move brackets if you want to lower it.

My tester was, so I guess all the UK bikes at least come with them.

Hi Guys,

Will grab the tyre models for y'all later today when back home. Bloody awesome day for a ride out, but alas stuck on shift for the next while! Pretty sure it's Dunlop Roadsmarts - I am changing to Michelin Road Pilot IV next week anyway, I've used them on all my previous bikes and it's in the wet that the Michelins come into their own, worth every penny! I genuinely have noticed the difference between the Dunlop's over the michelins on my old CBR, or maybe I'm just a creature of habit! Also going for a treatment called "puncture Safe" - blue gloop that is put inside the tyre then re inflated so that it binds binds to the compound wall and helps prevent blowouts or stop punctures when tyre is pierced - mate of mine was able to ride home a further 50miles (albeit at reduced speeds) when he had a nail go right through his bike tyre! Cheap to do too..

I didn't check the seat height - my bad, completely forgot about the fact that I have an adjustable seat! Mechanical credibility destroyed in one post :-)

Will get that picture of the air box for you at he service on Monday :-)

Need to see what other options there are for exhausts out there - getting impatient!

Cheers

Nobby

• Member Contributer

Are you sure about the tyre "goop"? Blowouts are very infrequent and tyres usually reduce in pressure slowly. When I go away I carry a proper puncture repair kit & a portable inflator powered from my bikes power socket. Those kind of repairs have been known to last the life of the tyre whereas I've heard mixed reports about "goop"-type products.

Just a thought.

I may well fit PR4s next after spending the winter on PR3s.

VFR800F - POST SEAT LOWERING:

Well, well ,well, well...... What a HELL of a difference simply lowering the seat has made! Incredibly so, it's a bloody different bike altogether!

So I looked through the manual as directed and removed the front and rear seats:

post-30411-0-04440000-1401569075.jpg

You can see the higher setting from the picture above. Here is how much lower the brackets are afterwards:

post-30411-0-98674500-1401568219.jpg

It also exposes more of the tank (obviously) - What is strange is that they decided to have a sheet panel over the tank, which is exposed now that the seat is lowered - interesting, I am not an engineer, so I dont know why this is like it is, I dont understand why they didnt account for those who would want to lower the seat ,and make the tank so that this doesnt show in the lowest position (no biggie really, just a thought!)

post-30411-0-97514300-1401568476.jpg

So, I took it out for a ride and OMG! It has instantly become a SPORTS-TOURER, but still slightly more on the sportier side, If I could drop the pegs a little, it'd be more Tourer than sports, but when I took it out for a ride, it was a new experience. Clearly you sit deeper into the seat and lower on the bike, but this has the net effect of changing your position significantly enough to bring you back down and into a more touring position. On the road it was a great deal more touring feel, and in my opinion more comfortable by a long way. Definitely consider making this adjustment if you feel it's too sporty in position for you, but watch out as the pegs will mean your knee's rise higher, for me it's not enough to be a concern, but I am sure taller people (5ft 10inch and higher perhaps) will feel the difference when the knee's come up, in an already very knee high, feet back position.

Whilst I was at it, I decided to add the Rear Seat Cowl, and I have to say it looks SMART! really SMART!

post-30411-0-79661900-1401568274.jpg post-30411-0-36252400-1401569171.jpg

Cheers

Nobby

Intriguing my 6th Gen has 70,000 miles still impresses me riding it today

Are you sure about the tyre "goop"? Blowouts are very infrequent and tyres usually reduce in pressure slowly. When I go away I carry a proper puncture repair kit & a portable inflator powered from my bikes power socket. Those kind of repairs have been known to last the life of the tyre whereas I've heard mixed reports about "goop"-type products.

Just a thought.

I may well fit PR4s next after spending the winter on PR3s.

Angels are awesome

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys,

Will grab the tyre models for y'all later today when back home. Bloody awesome day for a ride out, but alas stuck on shift for the next while! Pretty sure it's Dunlop Roadsmarts - I am changing to Michelin Road Pilot IV next week anyway, I've used them on all my previous bikes and it's in the wet that the Michelins come into their own, worth every penny! I genuinely have noticed the difference between the Dunlop's over the michelins on my old CBR, or maybe I'm just a creature of habit! Also going for a treatment called "puncture Safe" - blue gloop that is put inside the tyre then re inflated so that it binds binds to the compound wall and helps prevent blowouts or stop punctures when tyre is pierced - mate of mine was able to ride home a further 50miles (albeit at reduced speeds) when he had a nail go right through his bike tyre! Cheap to do too..

I didn't check the seat height - my bad, completely forgot about the fact that I have an adjustable seat! Mechanical credibility destroyed in one post :-)

Need to see what other options there are for exhausts out there - getting impatient!

Cheers

Nobby

THANKS, curios as to how it has changed ..

Hi mate,

Did the seat cowl come with the bike or was it an extra?

The clear sheet on the tank would be to protect the tank so that you dont see scuff marks if you lower the seat. Its little details like that that make VFRs such a great bikes IMO, Honda's attention to detail.

I am getting anxious about their appearance in Oz, it shouldn be soon..

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Nobby

THANKS, curios as to how it has changed ..

Yep - Dunlop SportMax Front and Rear - No change if I suppose its works well in the past!

Archived