Steering Head Bearings +Races Question

Guest Stanky98VFR

As JZH pointed out, Honda doesn't make bearings. The ones I have bothered to look at in the Honda packaging have been made by Nachi, but there may be exceptions.

You can "usually" get them at any bearing supply house. EXCEPT for RC51 front wheel bearings, as I found out the hard way. The I.D. is "special" on them, and the GIANT warehouse, the western Canadian distribution hub for NACHI bearings, could not source them, even though they had the exact NACHI bearing that I brought them, and had the NACHI P/N on it.

Because the I.D. is "different", it's a special one that NACHI manufactured just for Honda, and isn't used elsewhere in industry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

There are a few bearings like that in the rear hub as well. Only real source is Honda. For those bearings, however, another option is to simply buy a new rear hub assembly with the tricky bearings and seals already installed.

Ciao,

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone know which 'all balls' head bearings fit the vfr800 5th gen? I have a set here I bought for another bike,I'm wondering if alot of Hondas take the same head bearings?

What's the advantage to needles over balls? One in link looks like rollar...

The big Needle bearings will take on abuse better, they are used pretty much exclusively used in offroad bikes. Having said that, the key to the oem is making them right when the bike is new. Then they'll last a long time. The problem is they normally get loose right of the showroom floor, and 20,000 miles of play, trashes the bearings. But I have no issue with mine presently post 100,000 miles.

Thanks for that,unfortuneately the kit I have doesn't suit the vfr,it's 22-1021, it will suit something else again no doubt.

http://www.allballsracing.com/steering/22-1021.html

Steering Brg - Seal Kit Honda ATC250R 83-86, CR125R 82-89, CR250R 82-89, CR450R 81, CR480R 82-83, CR500R 84-89, CR80R 87-02, CR80RB 97-02, CR85R/RB 03-07, CRF150F 03-14, CRF150R/RB 07-14, CRF230F 03-14, CRF230L 08-09, CRF250L 13-14, CRM250AR (NOT US MODEL) 96-99, CTX200 03-11, FMX650 (Euro) 05-06, FX650 (Euro) 99-00, NX250 88-90, NX500 (EURO) 93-99, NX650 (Euro) 88-99, SLR 650 (Euro) 97-98, XL200R 83-84, XL250R 82-87, XL350R 84-85, XL500R 82, XL600R 83-87, XL600V TRANSALP (Euro) 87-99, XL650 TRANSALP (Euro) 00-06, XL700VAB (EURO) 08-11, XLR125 (Euro) 98, XR125L (Euro) 04-11, XR200R 81-02, XR250 TORNADO (EU) 01-02, XR250L 91-96, XR250R 81-04, XR350R 83-85, XR400R 96-04, XR500R 81-84, XR600R 85-00, XR650L 93-13, XR750L AFRICA TWIN (Euro) 90-00, XRE300 (SA) 10-12, Montesa 315R 00-04, 4RT 05-07

• Member Contributer

Just an FYI regarding bearings. You guys are throwing around the term "needle bearings" as being the same as "tapered roller bearings". They are not the same. If you look inside your rear suspension linkage you will see needle bearings; if you look at the wheel bearings on a BMW R100rs (or your F150 Ford PU truck) you will see tapered roller bearings. If you look at the steering head bearings Honda RC213 MotoGP bike you will see ball bearings.

• Member Contributer

Just an FYI regarding bearings. You guys are throwing around the term "needle bearings" as being the same as "tapered roller bearings". They are not the same. If you look inside your rear suspension linkage you will see needle bearings; if you look at the wheel bearings on a BMW R100rs (or your F150 Ford PU truck) you will see tapered roller bearings. If you look at the steering head bearings Honda RC213 MotoGP bike you will see ball bearings.

just FYI , read the whole thread before repeating it for the 187,328th time.... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

EXCEPT for RC51 front wheel bearings, as I found out the hard way. The I.D. is "special" on them, and the GIANT warehouse, the western Canadian distribution hub for NACHI bearings, could not source them, even though they had the exact NACHI bearing that I brought them, and had the NACHI P/N on it.

Because the I.D. is "different", it's a special one that NACHI manufactured just for Honda, and isn't used elsewhere in industry.

Although All Balls does sell this bearing too, I just put a set in. So is it the same bearing repackaged or another knock off of the Nachi bearing?

EXCEPT for RC51 front wheel bearings, as I found out the hard way. The I.D. is "special" on them, and the GIANT warehouse, the western Canadian distribution hub for NACHI bearings, could not source them, even though they had the exact NACHI bearing that I brought them, and had the NACHI P/N on it.

Although All Balls does sell this bearing too, I just put a set in. So is it the same bearing repackaged or another knock off of the Nachi bearing?
The All Balls sets that I have examined have all been KML bearings from China.

Nachi is Japanese, and since I could not source them from the WestCan Nachi distributor, I suspect All Balls could not either. There is probably an agreement between Honda and Nachi not to make those bearings available since they are made special for Honda.

So I'm gonna guess KML are making a knockoff.

• Member Contributer

The All Balls sets that I have examined have all been KML bearings from China.

Nachi is Japanese, and since I could not source them from the WestCan Nachi distributor, I suspect All Balls could not either. There is probably an agreement between Honda and Nachi not to make those bearings available since they are made special for Honda.

So I'm gonna guess KML are making a knockoff.

What I suspected. I didn't examine them closely for brand markings, was in a rush to install and get back running.

And it didn't solve the problem but that's another thread....

Archived