2014 Vfr800F Test Ride

Skids

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's me at the top of the page. Fame at last!

That picture looks posed but it's not. Not sure what James is doing but Simon and I were genuinely saying, "what's that weird lump on the left footrest hanger for, doesn't seem to be doing anything?" (the answer, as we found out later, is that it's the mounting for the optional quickshifter linkage which the test bike doesn't have...yet).

• Member Contributer

The "Verdicts" of the three VFR pilots seem to contradict slightly the overall tone of the article...interesting none the less.

Mick, do you plan on carry copies or reprints for all of the followers and hangers-on who will want autographs and selfies now?

I'm almost certain I saw the two silver-haired cobbers in a bike mechanic's shop couple days ago in southern Spain; one one a white crossrunner and the other on a black cb-something naked streetfighter. Too much of a coincidence I reckon.

I want a white one!!!

Either that... or get the radiator for the new one and make a custom fairing for mine... hmmm. Probably a lot cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My local Honda dealership invited me over for a test ride today - they had just uncrated a white and a red one and I must say the red looks stunning but the white is even better in person.

The fit and finish are excellent and the bronze touches on the wheels, casings and handlebars are classy. I went in quite ready to trade in the 6th Gen after reading the Bike UK extended review - a magazine I trust.

Alas - in three words this is my humble verdict - refined, composed but vaguely unexciting. (4 words actually)

The engine is smooth and the bike is vibration free. The VTEC transition though noticeable is mainly an engine note change now, rather than providing any additional grunt and it seems to occur a little higher in the rev range than my 6th Gen - closer to 7k – judging by the tach. Unfortunately the engine almost seems neutered and a bit character-less. Also low speed fuelling at parking lots speeds is a bit now you see me, now you dont. Nothing extreme but definitely noticeable. The handling is pretty decent with unadjusted suspension and the bike has a plush but composed ride.

For me at least this 8th Gen doesn’t speak to me like my old 4th Gen with its better engine and lively demeanour.

I also think Honda needs to pull their collective heads out of you know where if they want $14K plus for this bike. You can only charge that much of a premium for build quality.

By way of contrast - I am now the owner of an Yamaha FZ-09 (MT-09) for about 2 months now and have over 2300 miles on it. That bike is ASTONISHING value at $8100 out the door here in the DC Metro area. Granted the suspension is a bit lacking but a little less than $1K has fixed that and left room for various farkles. And oooh. that torque..,,,

Honda is trying to sell a very limited pool of customers an expensive motorcycle using the nostalgia card. I wish them luck and would love to be proved wrong.

Even if in their infinite wisdom, 800cc was enough - this 2014 model should have been lighter, more powerful and a huge leap forward - sadly it is not.

The bean counters have taken over the asylum - hope there is a coup in the not too distant future and the engineers regain control.

In the meantime, BMW is now what Honda was, cornering the sports bike market with the S1000RR and now the naked version of that bike and making exciting products. Not that I find them desirable.

My new sweetheart....grunty, full of character and wheelie good fun!!!

IMG_4951.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting up your take on the new VFR.

I am waiting for the Honda guys in Chattanooga to call back when their first ones arrive. They said it should be any day now.

Having NOT ridden one I am on the fence as my current 5th Gen is the perfect back roads bike but it is monoposto...I have an ST1300 for when my wife wants to ride but it can be a hassle to get both bikes up to a destination for a week of riding.

I swapped bikes with my son for a day ride with the wife and others one day at TexasMac this year and she was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable she found the Sargent seat and the 6th Gen (full disclosure, this Sargent has the atomic foam in the pillion section as well).

In the fall we are doing 11 days on a VFR1200 in Europe. Depending on her rear seat evaluation, we will probably be moving the ST1300 along and replacing it with one of those two options (7th or 8th Gen VFR).

• Member Contributer

Can I ask why you are thinking of getting rid of a bike like the ST1300? Seems like a superior 2up bike overall.

• Member Contributer

It is a great bike for two up but the design was last freshened up in 2003...It is heavy (even if only at parking lot speeds) and I wish it had a 6th gear.

I have the 2004 edition (only year of the dark blue) ABS model here in the US and after putting a couple thousand miles on the 1200 in the mountains of Austria, Italy and Switzerland this fall will likely keep the ST to complete a ride to Alaska with my uncle next year before deciding which other V4 to get.

I know both the new 800 and the 1200 will be compromises for the sort of riding I do with the ST (the 800 doesn't have 80 ft lbs of torque and the 1200 doesn't have 200 miles of range two up at my pace so nowhere close to 325+ miles of range) but both are lighter and if Mrs Carver likes the feel of the 1200 with the top box and panniers that could be the way forward

• Member Contributer

It is a great bike for two up but the design was last freshened up in 2003...It is heavy (even if only at parking lot speeds) and I wish it had a 6th gear. I have the 2004 edition (only year of the dark blue) ABS model here in the US and after putting a couple thousand miles on the 1200 in the mountains of Austria, Italy and Switzerland this fall will likely keep the ST to complete a ride to Alaska with my uncle next year before deciding which other V4 to get. I know both the new 800 and the 1200 will be compromises for the sort of riding I do with the ST (the 800 doesn't have 80 ft lbs of torque and the 1200 doesn't have 200 miles of range two up at my pace so nowhere close to 325+ miles of range) but both are lighter and if Mrs Carver likes the feel of the 1200 with the top box and panniers that could be the way forward

Fuel cans strapped on the rack? :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I'm curious what my reaction to the refreshed 6th gen will be. The stories about low end torque brings me way back. I owned my 6th gen long enough to get into the (apparently bad) habit of yanking hard on the throttle once I had launched. This would engage the VTEC and get some grunt out of the bike. I did love the handling of the 6th gen, and when tired or just wanted to admire the road & scenary, it was a very comfortable and enjoyable ride. But I last rode an 'Orgami' in late 2008.

In the spring of 2009 based on my life style, commute, and magazine reviews, I bought a then new CBR600RR. The ergos are slightly harsher than the VFR, but unlike other supersports I've owned or ridden, I could ride the CBR all day, the plank of a seat not-with-standing. The day I picked the bike up from the dealership, I turned out of the parking lot, and mindlessly yanked hard on the throttle just like on my old VTEC. That was a mistake, albeit without any long term consequences. The new and slippery rear tire spun on the cold asphault and the back end of the bike tried to overtake the front end. Fortunately I've ridden a few times, and quickly eased off the throttle and concentrated on keeping the shiny side up. After nearly soiling my underwear and nearly completely humiliating myself in front of the dealership sales team, I straightened the bike out and pointed it in the right direction. Since then, I apply power smoothly, and thanks to various municipalities with eagle eyed law enforcement, I am often past the speed limit in 2nd gear.

I look forward to riding the latest VFR, but not sure I'll be trading in the 5 year old CBR. Though I miss the solid smooth handling of the VTEC. Having to lift and shift my weight to get the CBR to corner gets tiresome.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting up your take on the new VFR.I am waiting for the Honda guys in Chattanooga to call back when their first ones arrive. They said it should be any day now. Having NOT ridden one I am on the fence as my current 5th Gen is the perfect back roads bike but it is monoposto...).

Wondering if you had a chance to test ride the new bike and what your thoughts are given your history with Honda V-4s

• Member Contributer

It is available in Chattanooga now but my travel schedule has been tough the past few weeks.

I hope to get there for a test of the Dee-Luxe model around the 15th-18th of this month...I will for sure post up here what I think, not that many who know me care :goofy:

Good Evening All

Having had the chance to spend a few hours, 80-odd miles on a 2014 VFR800F in all road conditions I thought I would give a review, but try to be a little more subjective than RoystonRocket 2 whos review I feel missed the point.

I happened upon this post and I thought I would add my 2 penneth. Firstly, I have been riding Motorcycles on the road since July 2008, and since then have owned a number of bikes (listed below), and covered approximately 50-60k Miles on motorcycles.

I have owned and ridden:

1999 Honda Hornet 600

2009 FZ1 Fazer

2010 Kawasaki ER6-F

2010 GSX-R600 L1

2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade

2010 VFR800 A10 VTEC

As you can see this is a good spread, so gives me the opportunity to compare the new VFR to these and give my opinion.

My Initial impressions were that it felt smaller and more compact than my current VFR800 VTEC, and the new riding position suited me very nicely. I came to the VTEC VFR from a Fireblade, which I absolutely loved, but needed something slower, as I would have lost my licence on the 'Blade. Therefore the new, more sporty riding position definitely was to my taste.

I didn't have any problems with the new 14 VFR around town, it got on with it so well that part of the journey almost paled into insignificance. The fueling was good, it felt light and easy to maneuver. Much easier than the my 2010 VFR.

Once I got onto the dual carriageway/freeway again it felt good, pulled very similar to the 2010 VFR, and never left me feeling like it was lacking. Yes its not got the grunt of a Fireblade or a VFR1200, but if you want this kind of grunt your looking at the wrong bike. The whole point of me getting a VFR8 was so that it HAS GOT a little LESS grunt and is SLIGHTLY MORE work to get it to licence loosing/prison speeds. Therefore, RoystonRockets complaint about the power is largely unfounded, and you would of course find this when comparing it to the VFR1200. (I thought a Hayabusa was lacking when I tested it, compared to my Fireblade, which I thought felt much faster).

THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS BIKE...FOR ME

Once I got off the freeway and into the twisties, this bike came into its own. I LOVED the sound, I thought it handled brilliantly, was fast and fun, and my thoughts were that it felt like a big, comfy sports 600 that you could stay on all day, and carry hard luggage if you so wished. The induction noise is addictive, and I felt I could really thrash the bike (which I like) without always thinking Id be on my way to prison if I got caught. That said, it will tank along at 100+ all day if you so wish.

The main point though i suppose is that I never felt that this bike was lacking in any way. I loved the power delivery, loved the smoothness and loved the handling, although the stock tyres are a little scary!!

If you compare it to a VFR1200 it probably will feel flat, but when I got on my 2010 VFR800 VTEC for the first time after owning and riding a fireblade for 2.5 years, the VFR8 felt like a moped. I soon got used to it though, and found that I had more confidence and much more enjoyment thrashing a VFR to within an inch of its life than I ever did tickling a 'Blade and looking down thinking 'f*** i'm going to get locked up here'.

Conclusion

Is the new VFR a bad bike...NO. In my opinion Its an absolutely FANTASTIC bike. It does everything I want a motorcycle to do, and I can go for a proper thrash on the road, and go touring all in relative comfort whilst retaining an intact licence.

If anyone has any questions please ask!

Good Evening All

Having had the chance to spend a few hours, 80-odd miles on a 2014 VFR800F in all road conditions I thought I would give a review, but try to be a little more subjective than RoystonRocket 2 whos review I feel missed the point.

I happened upon this post and I thought I would add my 2 penneth. Firstly, I have been riding Motorcycles on the road since July 2008, and since then have owned a number of bikes (listed below), and covered approximately 50-60k Miles on motorcycles.

I have owned and ridden:

1999 Honda Hornet 600

2009 FZ1 Fazer

2010 Kawasaki ER6-F

2010 GSX-R600 L1

2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade

2010 VFR800 A10 VTEC

As you can see this is a good spread, so gives me the opportunity to compare the new VFR to these and give my opinion.

My Initial impressions were that it felt smaller and more compact than my current VFR800 VTEC, and the new riding position suited me very nicely. I came to the VTEC VFR from a Fireblade, which I absolutely loved, but needed something slower, as I would have lost my licence on the 'Blade. Therefore the new, more sporty riding position definitely was to my taste.

I didn't have any problems with the new 14 VFR around town, it got on with it so well that part of the journey almost paled into insignificance. The fueling was good, it felt light and easy to maneuver. Much easier than the my 2010 VFR.

Once I got onto the dual carriageway/freeway again it felt good, pulled very similar to the 2010 VFR, and never left me feeling like it was lacking. Yes its not got the grunt of a Fireblade or a VFR1200, but if you want this kind of grunt your looking at the wrong bike. The whole point of me getting a VFR8 was so that it HAS GOT a little LESS grunt and is SLIGHTLY MORE work to get it to licence loosing/prison speeds. Therefore, RoystonRockets complaint about the power is largely unfounded, and you would of course find this when comparing it to the VFR1200. (I thought a Hayabusa was lacking when I tested it, compared to my Fireblade, which I thought felt much faster).

THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS BIKE...FOR ME

Once I got off the freeway and into the twisties, this bike came into its own. I LOVED the sound, I thought it handled brilliantly, was fast and fun, and my thoughts were that it felt like a big, comfy sports 600 that you could stay on all day, and carry hard luggage if you so wished. The induction noise is addictive, and I felt I could really thrash the bike (which I like) without always thinking Id be on my way to prison if I got caught. That said, it will tank along at 100+ all day if you so wish.

The main point though i suppose is that I never felt that this bike was lacking in any way. I loved the power delivery, loved the smoothness and loved the handling, although the stock tyres are a little scary!!

If you compare it to a VFR1200 it probably will feel flat, but when I got on my 2010 VFR800 VTEC for the first time after owning and riding a fireblade for 2.5 years, the VFR8 felt like a moped. I soon got used to it though, and found that I had more confidence and much more enjoyment thrashing a VFR to within an inch of its life than I ever did tickling a 'Blade and looking down thinking 'f*** i'm going to get locked up here'.

Conclusion

Is the new VFR a bad bike...NO. In my opinion Its an absolutely FANTASTIC bike. It does everything I want a motorcycle to do, and I can go for a proper thrash on the road, and go touring all in relative comfort whilst retaining an intact licence.

If anyone has any questions please ask!

I agree totally with your assesment.

I sold a 2011 fireblade to buy this bike for exactly the same reasons that you mentioned.

Cheers!

Coming from a cbr600 (14 years plus) to this bike I like the power, its everywhere from the start to the end (I dont have to wait until its at 7000 rpms), very smooth, and always available, yet doesnt feel like its far too much. I like the fact that it feels very light, and handles so great. I dont get that workout I got taking my cbr down a twisty road, not to mention that I dont have to shift constantly.

I have no need for cbr1000 type horsepower, this bike has more than I need, and I can make use of far more of it riding on the road.

In fact this bike is very deceptive, you dont realize just how fast you are going, or how quickly you got there because the power is so smooth and linear, it feels like you are going slower than you actually are.

I can take a couple hour long ride and feel comfortable, it feels good even riding slow in town. It definitely rides 2 up far better than a cbr600, it also has an extra 3 inches of wheel base, and I dont feel cramped a bit like I did on the 600 on a longer ride.

Riding to work today with 29 mph gusts of wind crossing a large highway bridge over the Susquehanna river it feels stable and doesnt get blown all over the bridge like my old CBR did.

On occasion I used to ride a friends old 2000 ZX9R which had 143 hp I believe, that bike felt big and heavy and didnt seem to handle very well at all, but had alot of grunt. I also experienced his R1 which he got new a few years later, that bike felt like it had too much power (it got him into trouble a few times, each time he did not realize how fast he was going at all), and I never felt comfortable making use of it (now he has no cycle, oh well maybe someday again). He also had an SV650 for a short time until he got bored of it, and he didnt like the lack of wind protection on the highway before he traded it on the R1 (I never rode the SV, he had it for soo little time).

• Member Contributer

It is a great bike for two up but the design was last freshened up in 2003...It is heavy (even if only at parking lot speeds) and I wish it had a 6th gear. I have the 2004 edition (only year of the dark blue) ABS model here in the US and after putting a couple thousand miles on the 1200 in the mountains of Austria, Italy and Switzerland this fall will likely keep the ST to complete a ride to Alaska with my uncle next year before deciding which other V4 to get. I know both the new 800 and the 1200 will be compromises for the sort of riding I do with the ST (the 800 doesn't have 80 ft lbs of torque and the 1200 doesn't have 200 miles of range two up at my pace so nowhere close to 325+ miles of range) but both are lighter and if Mrs Carver likes the feel of the 1200 with the top box and panniers that could be the way forward

From you avatar you may be able to help a fellow sort out a couple of reusable drop tanks...

• Member Contributer

From you avatar you may be able to help a fellow sort out a couple of reusable drop tanks...

Haha, yes, we have one or 2 spare. Plan is to put them up to 4 tanks each so we can take them abroad next year.

Archived