2014 Vfr800F Test Ride

Skids

• Member Contributer

I managed to finish work early today and on the off-chance called my local dealer and there were no more test rides so I took the new VFR800F out for a test ride this afternoon. I had about an hour and managed just over 30 miles through rush-hour traffic, some busy country roads and highway. But I didn’t need any more…..wow, what a beautiful machine to ride.

Luckily, the test bike was a black one with 173 miles on the clock. After signing my life away, off I rode. Through town initially, the bike fuels well at low revs/low speed, in fact I couldn’t find fault with the smoothness of the fuelling; no surging or on/off that you get with the Vtec. I tend to use the rear brake in traffic and found the de-linked system a little less able to slow the bike than the linked system but I quickly got used to it. One thing I will say….the dashboard is glared out by sunshine. It covers the whole of the dash and makes it difficult to read. Also I’m used to having mirror extenders on both my VFRs and so the new ones did not give me the rearwards vision I’m used to and with the running & turn lights mounted there, it may prove a tricky job to fit mirror extenders.

Out of town came the opportunity to open her up and find out if there is still a lull in torque around 5k rpm and what the Vtec transition feels like; well, there is no lull and I barely felt the Vtec transition at all and probably only that because I was looking for it. To actually feel it for sure you have to ease the throttle as you approach 6500rpm and ease through it and you can feel it change, but rev through like we all do and it’s only noticeable by a very slight and very smooth increase in acceleration. The exhaust note changes, but otherwise it’s very smooth. It felt like it accelerated a little quicker than my Vtec and revs smoothly all the way to the rev limiter. I didn’t notice any vibration in the mirrors.

Handling is typically neutral, turn in quicker than the Vtec and the bike feels narrower and lighter, despite figures to the contrary on the weight. It’s very stable with no discernible issue when changing down or up in corners, just like previous models.

All-in-all, it seems to be what we all asked for; the feel of the Fi engine (smooth, non-stop torque) with the rasp of the Vtec range combined with outstanding handling & stopping…..yes, the front brake is very, very good!

Back at the dealers, I notice the white model with the accessories list by it so took a picky…..Akrapovic exhaust available!!! Plus a power socket, and reasonable luggage. Oh, and the seat hump is extra!

Pics to follow:

IMAG0519_zpsd000315d.jpg

IMAG0527_zps177f65c0.jpg

IMAG0520_zpsd305aee5.jpg

IMAG0522_zps5cac4233.jpg

IMAG0524_zpsa0a4a586.jpg

IMAG0526_zpsaa9f4ae4.jpg

IMAG0537_zps5a9fe52e.jpg

IMAG0542_zps6c12f3c2.jpg

IMAG0539_zps7bf5a7af.jpg

IMAG0539_zps7bf5a7af.jpg

IMAG0544_zpsd0d414f3.jpg

IMAG0546_zpsda4985ec.jpg

IMAG0547_zps71cb4840.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice one!!

How much are the hardbags? Do they come w liner bags?

How was the front suspension?

No prices yet on any extras but liners are available on the accessories list (see pic).

Didn't really notice anything significant about the front suspension but thinking back, I'd say it felt slightly harder than my stock 6th Gen.

Akrapovic fitted (from sales brochure).

IMAG0550_zpsc5f63968.jpg

• Member Contributer

Some afterthoughts:

It's much easier to get onto the centre stand than either of my other 2 VFRs.

The grips are a much narrower diameter.

Self-cancelling indicators do just that.

Pearlescent paint on both black & white models.

Bike accelerates from 2k rpm in 4th & 5th with no issues.

Found some lurching (on/off) in 1st around a small roundabout at about 10-15mph.

6k rpm = 86mph indicated. :cool:

Average fuel read 43.9 mpg which is pretty good for the 1st 170 miles considering all the testers must have thrashed the knackers off it.....all except me that is, of course!

I can't wait to see a tear down on the rear tail. The thing looks like it was diesgned for an undertail exhaust with the way it flares on the sides. But, even with the side mounted can, I bet with a custom midpipe, any can on ebay could be made to fit.

... Also I’m used to having mirror extenders on both my VFRs and so the new ones did not give me the rearwards vision I’m used to and with the running & turn lights mounted there, it may prove a tricky job to fit mirror extenders.

Mirrors are the same of VFR 1200 F and CBR 1000 RR, so the extenders are already available.

See here for example:

http://www.vfritaliaclub.it/node/3369

• Member Contributer

Not a smart idea with the clear instrument cover and I'm 50/50 with the split seat option.

Thanks for the review and pics.

• Member Contributer

I like the split seat option on the ST1300, it allows the pilot to adjust for their comfort without negatively impacting the pillion.

I have contacted my Honda dealer again to inquire about test rides.

Thanks for posting your thoughts Skids.

Thanks Skds awesome write-up. I take it you're in Europe somewhere or Australia. with the stock exhaust does it still sound like a sewing machine?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Thanks Skds awesome write-up. I take it you're in Europe somewhere or Australia. with the stock exhaust does it still sound like a sewing machine?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

England m8.

Yes, it sounds like a standard VFR with the strangling can on it......I'm sure it'll sound great with a decent aftermarket slip-on though.

Good write up M8. Did you enquire what they are asking for the seat cowl? Must be the first VFR ever to come without one supplied.

I am looking foreward to getting mine in a few weeks (red).

• Member Contributer

Good write up M8. Did you enquire what they are asking for the seat cowl? Must be the first VFR ever to come without one supplied.

I am looking foreward to getting mine in a few weeks (red).

No m8, I didn't, sorry. He did say though that red ones are as rare as rocking horse sh1t.

• Member Contributer

After looking at this beast a couple dozen times, it does look like an evolution of the 5th gen -- especially the front view.

• Member Contributer

Where is the R/R located?

no idea bud.

• Member Contributer

Just checked my local dealership, said latest manifest indicates next two weeks for delivery of his inventory of one for this year. First in line for test ride.

What a gorgeous bike! I couldn't help but wonder though, what it might look like with an underbody exhaust and a tail tidy. So I did a little photoshopping on Skids image. With Skid's permission, here it is....

gallery_26770_7233_81500.jpg

• Member Contributer

Skids,

I see you're in Beds. What dealer?

I want to test ride one but then I don't because it may put my 5th gen to shame. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Skids,

I want to test ride one but then I don't because it may put my 5th gen to shame. :goofy:

It WILL put it to shame m8.

Norton Way Honda in Letchworth.

• Member Contributer

Skids,

Ahhh, I almost guessed that. I've been down to them as Grafton in MK just isn't, well, lets just say I'm not impressed. I may pop down to see what I'm missing.

My 2001 5th gen was spotless with 5500miles when I bought it last October. It's 7500 now. It's still a bargain compared to a new Viffer but I may just try it to see how far behind mine is. A suspension upgrade on mine would go a long ways.

• Member Contributer

Skids,

Ahhh, I almost guessed that. I've been down to them as Grafton in MK just isn't, well, lets just say I'm not impressed. I may pop down to see what I'm missing.

My 2001 5th gen was spotless with 5500miles when I bought it last October. It's 7500 now. It's still a bargain compared to a new Viffer but I may just try it to see how far behind mine is. A suspension upgrade on mine would go a long ways.

Well, service is very slow but they're fine with test rides.

My 98 had 5900 on it when I bought it in 01, has 130k on it now and I love it.

But it's absolutely clear that the new VFR is a significantly better machine.....at a price. New suspension and good maintenance, which isn't difficult, will keep your bike running for a decade or longer and she'll return fantastic service as mine has.

Archived