Aluminum Parts Stripping And/or Painting

Texfoto

• Member Contributer

I have another topic going about Variobars but this one is more related to painting so I thought I'd start a new post.

I have purchased a set of these aftermarket bar risers off of ebay here in the UK. They are not the color I wanted but the price was too good to pass up compared to buying them new.

As you can see by the pic they are gold. They are made of aluminum. I have two choices 1) to strip the paint and leave them their natural aluminum color or 2) paint them. What is the best way to get these either stripped and/or repainted?

Variobar Parts

Is it paint or anodising?

If paint, you want a good quality paint stripper that won't etch the aluminium - POR make a good one.

If anodised, oven or drain cleaner will remove the coating.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/help-removing-anodized-finish-aluminum-233675/

They look anodized to me.

I wouldn't paint them. It'll play havoc with the pivoting/adjustment mechanisms.

You could have them stripped and re-anodized another colour, one that you like.

• Member Contributer

Just looked it up and they are anodized. The color layer looks very thin as I see some of it is rubbed off on the threading on the bar ends and very slight color wear on some of the contact areas.

Can I strip them and if so, how? I'm thinking I may need to take them to someone who can do this and then have them get them to another color.

Archived