Ogio Mach 3 Backpack Review

Rogue_Biker

I will come out and say it: I've always been anti-backpack for motorcycle use. Years ago I used a generic backpack for day rides and commutes and really hated it. It was very awkward to put backpacks on with the riding jacket on and good luck taking it off. I sweated and cussed more taking these off than any other luggage. EVER! Since then I swore off backpacks!

Today however, manufacturers have created backpacks specifically for motorcyclists, as opposed to optmizing them for college students and hikers. So the choices and fit have improved dramatically. However, judging by the reviews online and my personal experience, the most effective, most handsome, and best thought out backpack is the Ogio Mach series of aerodynamic backpacks.

I recently bought the Ogio Mach 3 (the middle of the range), then took it on a 1,000+ mile tour on my VFR. I rode with it in heavy rain, cold, and hot weather, with my leathers and over my raingear. Instead of cursing it, I ended up loving this backpack! I love it so much I'm writing this review to tell you all how great this thing is!

I'll get right to the point to answer all the questions many of us riders and commuters have been asking.

#1 Easy On/Off: The Ogio Mach series is EASY to put on and take off with leathers/bulky jackets. It slips on from the top even with your helmet on. A quick release on the left strap makes it come right off! Even with my leathers on plus my bulky rain gear, the Mach 3 came on and off with ease.

#2 Stays On: Once this pack is on your back it stays put. It does not move even in high winds from the side or front (I personally tested it to well over XXXmph!).

#3 Water Resistant: I rode it in heavy rain. The outside of the pack got some drops of rain but nothing penetrated. I think it helps that it sits on the rider's back and away from directly getting drenched in rain.

#4 Compartments: The Mach 3 has an organized compartment that will store up a 15" laptop plus the power cord and other stuff. It has another compartment for a hydration pack, as well as other little compartments to hold stuff that seem to just like to come along on every ride.

#5 Internal Space: I stuffed my Mach 3 with a big ass heated jacket liner, winter gloves, jeans, and a few other shirts. It was able to swallow it all. The internal compartment even has straps for storing and securing a simple set of walking shoes (not heavy boots).

#6 Comfortable: My Mack 3 stayed on my back for 8-12 hours on very long rides. I never got tired wearing it. The pack concentrates the weight down at the bottom, closer to the wearer's hips. It helps if you pack the heaviest stuff down there of course.

#7 Negatives: It's not perfect though. The Mack series is designed to be aerodynamic so its outer shell is sleek with nothing sticking out. Hence it has NO OUTSIDE pockets. To access anything on this pack you MUST remove if off your back. It's also not cheap! No good motorcycle backpack is cheap but the Ogio is priced near the top. Compared to its competitors from Europe like Givi it costs less. Ironically, the least expensive prices I've seen came directly from Ogion via Amazon. Retail at my local dealer my Mack 3 costs $134! But I got mine at about $120 shipped.

Pictures!

Ogio Mach 3 Backpack

Ogio Mach 3 - Straps

Ogio Mach 3 Inside Compartments

Ogio Mach 3 - Open

• Member Contributer

Nice write up, have never been a fan of backpacks , but might reconsider after reading this.thx

Archived