Noob Question On Wiring.

adamv

Hi,

I'm thinking of tinkering around with my 2009 VFR. In particular I'm thinking of installing Oxford heated grips, and a power source outlet.

I was just wondering - are their any do's or dont's when it comes to routing the wire. (I figure both will go straight back to the battery).

Re the oxford heated grips - should I run the heated grips from the left or right side of the bike (if one is better than the other for wiring?), and is their any preferred wiring route to take, or any other thing I should consider?

Likewise with the power outlet, is there a standard / common connector that is usually used on bikes to connect to the outlet. I know some people have used cigarette lighters, but I was thinking of a smaller outlet under the seat that I could plug in extention cords with covertes (for cigarette lighters, usb, etc) but I wasn't sure if I could just go down and grab any smaller plug from radio shack, or whether there is a more 'standard' for motorbikes that might make my setup compatible with other peoples toys later down the track. :)

So - I guess my question is whether there is a 'best practise' approach for these two jobs?

Cheers

Powerlet is the connector of choice.

Wire routing should be whatever works best for you. Check out wiremybike.com (no affiliation).

• Member Contributer

Cigarette sockets are a bit big, but you can plug in a lot more stuff than a Powerlet (which is the old BMW DIN standard, btw) without having to use adapters or change plugs, but Powerlet is made specifically for bikes, so it is a bit sturdier. Neither are at all waterproof, but neither are your OEM switches, if you think about it.

I don't have much use for either type of socket, but at least Powerlet stuff good quality, whereas the Radio Shack stuff usually is barely adequate.

It really comes down to what you expect to be plugging in. I often use a "trailer connector" for my heated gear, which also functions as a place to plug in a battery tender/charger.

Ciao,

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm just looking to plug in my mobile phone or GPS for charging. Can't imagine I'd be drawing much of a current.

I checked out that website. Like the idea of a steering head kit, but was wondering how it works. Do I have to drill, or how do you get a hole in the current centre part of the steering head?

• Member Contributer

There's already a hole in most Honda steering stems. They're just fitted with a plastic cap. Pop that out and you will have a hole! (It's the same ID as standard handlebars, btw, so you could also fit an aftermarket alloy bar-end if you wanted to.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

If you plan on having more than one accessory wired back to the battery consider adding a switched source like a Fuzeblock (http://www.fuzeblocks.com/). One will just fit under the seat on the right side where you can easily tap into the tail light for a source. Make your grips switched and your powerlet socket unswitched and you can back feed your battery with a Battery Tender through it.

Archived