ecuunleashed or pisani engineering must cut open the ECU to reflash it. We do not. We have reverse engineered the factory flashing protocol for the newer Honda ECUs to flash through the harness connector. To my knowledge, the ECUs previous to 2006 for the VFR800 do not use this protocol.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'll be following your development with keen interest. I would kindly ask if you can contrast what the ECU reflash option provides that the PCV cannot. Very keen to understand that, and what the advantages of the reflash approach is compared to the pc. Many thanks for your efforts with this, if there is a link we can go to see the development, blog etc let us know. (Apologies if this has already been shared)

Dave.

If you guys could develop something like TuneECU, http://www.tuneecu.com you would do the world a huge favor!!! I know when I had my Triumph Sprint RS how fantastic it was to download an Open Source program, buy a $15.00 cable and make any adjustments to my bike I wanted.

ecuunleashed or pisani engineering must cut open the ECU to reflash it. We do not. We have reverse engineered the factory flashing protocol for the newer Honda ECUs to flash through the harness connector. To my knowledge, the ECUs previous to 2006 for the VFR800 do not use this protocol.

GuhlMotors, what is the chance of you offering quick shift, launch control and multiple maps. I want to buy your product, but have no reason to do so yet.... Can you please sell me on a 6th gen reflash?

My Rapid Bike 2 already does fuel, ignition and quick shift. Plus there is no top speed limiter or gear dependent restrictions on the vfr800...

• Member Contributer

Am mainly interested in low speed throttle control. As far as smoothing out VTEC, maybe. I want to keep anything that prevents the engine from turning faster than what it was designed for. If it's possible to keep the bike running cooler without working the fan more then am interested in that also, someone brought it up earlier and hey you never know.

I am interested as well. I hope to eliminate the low rpm surging and option to switch between 2 map for power and economical mode for lazy Sunday. Possible to have TCS as well for those with ABS model?

• Member Contributer

Most common issues faced are low throttle fueling/lack of torque, which affects in-town drivability and VTEC transition.

I must note though that my bike is pretty smooth under both conditions.

Here are my mods:

- PAIR block-off

- K&N filter

- Slightly altered snorkel

I am 2 hours away from you may consider dropping off my 2006 to be used as a test mule.

In June - After T-Mack :)

How much time do you think it will be at your place and what benefits do you think the reflash will realize?

• Member Contributer

My bike is the 2010 VFR 1200F (standard).

Well.... :goofy: Just got home from doing 200 miles on the "New and Improved" 2010 VFR1200, and I mean it. The restrictions are all gone, throttle response is perfect with no lag at all, and not violent either. 1st and 2nd gears are what they should have been all along :cheerleader: No error codes (servo removed). Transitions between gears and throttle position is smooth as a .... :cool: And boy does this thing corner nicely now, with no hiccups when going on/off the throttle. Also the fuel map that Don put in there gets rid of the stumble between 3k-5k with the throttle 10%-30%. The only thing I was not able to test was the top speed limiter... Not enough road.

I'll report back when I get the Dyno run done on May 12th.

I would definitely get this done if I was anyone who is on the fence. And Don also told me that the fuel map is the same for the DCT version, So contact Don and send it in.

My bike is stock except, DAM exhaust, and PAIR system removed.

Stock air filter.

Stock header with CAT.

If you call the shop and the voicemail picks up, just call back.

Guhl Motors 717-618-4212

Guhl Motors can you get rid of the fuel cut? as in the factory emissions setting where RPMs over 5 or 6 thousand with 0 throttle have no fueling, which makes for a rough on off transition between 0% throttle and then opening up the throttle when at high RPMs and high speed and down shifting while braking and turning. I would be very interested in disabling this with a reflash. Plus shooting flames out the exhaust on the over run would be awesome lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

By richening up the lean portions of the map, that should definitely help our bikes run cooler. :-) I understand this is a reflash of the ECU. I strongly believe therefore there is no switchability between different maps as our original ECU didn't allow for this in the first place. (You need a different map = you need a new reflash) Last thought is that tcs would be controlled by the onboard ABS controller, I believe; and not the ECU. I'm quite intrigued by this approach for our bikes and the level of control this will allow to truly address all parameters of the ECU setup. Hoping Guhl Motors can confirm my speculation. :laugh:

Like most here, driveablity (rideablity?) issues are the most important to me. The bike is never going to be a power-house, so I could care less about timing advance, etc. When I bought my 07 VFR 800, I had assumed, being a Honda, the fuel injection would be well sorted out. Of course, I was quite disappointed in that regard. The lean surge around 4000 rpms is a real nuance. I was going to go the Power Commander V route, but a re-flashed ECU might be a cleaner, easier option.

Quick shift would definitely be cool. Getting rid of the horrible off throttle lightswitch by adding more fuel to the low rpms would be huge, but, I only have a 2005.

I wonder what an eighth generation ECU would be like on a 2005??? Honda is supposed to have worked out the bugs in fueling, I think.

Hard to believe that a company that has been making FI vehicles for so long, and that has such a long and successful racing history, where ALL fueling issues are eliminated, can't get something so simple right. They will literally dump TENS OF MILLIONS into factory race bikes, but then fail miserably with something so simple, and yet as crucial to the street as it is on the track. I don't accept that it can't be done because of emissions or noise or any other justification, because other companies are already doing it.

I pm'd Don a couple of weeks back to ask about a swap. Turns out the connectors were changed with the 06 up ECU's.

And so was the fuel system.

06 and up vfr800 share the injectors and ecu with the 07 cbr1000rr.

• Member Contributer

When I bought my 07 VFR 800, I had assumed, being a Honda, the fuel injection would be well sorted out. Of course, I was quite disappointed in that regard. The lean surge around 4000 rpms is a real nuance. I was going to go the Power Commander V route, but a re-flashed ECU might be a cleaner, easier option.

I'm with you. I have had a couple fuel injected Hondas and ridden several more; they have always been exceptional compared to every other manufacturer. My last bike was a 919 and it had perfect fueling; I was expecting my VFR to have the same. It doesn't.

I still love the bike but a flash fix would be delightful. Sadly, mine is an '02

• Member Contributer

And so was the fuel system.

06 and up vfr800 share the injectors and ecu with the 07 cbr1000rr.

On the fuel injectors I believe the 2004 - 2007 CBR1000 are the same as the later 6th gens ('06 - '09)... both primary and secondary injectors on the CBR are the same as the VFR. .. are you sure about the ECU?

How can an I4 ECU work with a V4 timing?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

VFR's and 04-07 cbrs, do not have secondary injectors. There is nothing about an ecu that makes it physically specific to I4 or v4 configurations, it's just the mapping. Theoretically you can now buy an 07 cbr1000 ecu and gave it flashed with the Vfr maps and it will work on the Vfr.

Well it doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention, but the more I think about this, the more I am liking this idea. What I would like to do is get all the engine work and mods done to my bike that I'm gonna do. Then get a dyno tune on my rapid bike fuel/ignition controller. Then some time after that, send my ecu and rapid bike map away and get it reflashed. So I could ditch the rapid bike and pick up a stand alone quickshift from translogic. That would be awesome.

• Member Contributer

VFR's and 04-07 cbrs, do not have secondary injectors. There is nothing about an ecu that makes it physically specific to I4 or v4 configurations, it's just the mapping. Theoretically you can now buy an 07 cbr1000 ecu and gave it flashed with the Vfr maps and it will work on the Vfr.

I respectfully disagree... I have a complete throttle body assembly with primary and secondary injectors off an '07 CBR1000. All 8 injectors are the same part number as '06 - '09 VFR.

Interesting comment on the ECU... I'm thinking along the same lines for my trackbike....

• Member Contributer

I respectfully disagree... I have a complete throttle body assembly with primary and secondary injectors off an '07 CBR1000. All 8 injectors are the same part number as '06 - '09 VFR.

Interesting comment on the ECU... I'm thinking along the same lines for my trackbike....

My earlier question about the ECU arises from the fuel injection timing and ignition timing differences between an I4 and V4... I'd have to dig more into the camshaft/crankshaft position sensor(s) to have a better understanding of the triggers and controls associated with each bike... my gut says that the uneven firing of the V4 may require one more sensor for the second intake cam when compared to the single intake cam on the CBR, but I could be wrong...

...I often am :goofy:

PS: The secondary injectors on the CBR operate as shower injectors over the throttle bodies and are on a different microfiche then the others, that may be why you didn't see them...

• Member Contributer

My only complaints about my '09 VFR are the abrupt throttle response and surging. Personally, I don't find the VTec transition problematic.

I followed the progress of your work on the VFR1200 and look forward to hearing the result.

• Member Contributer

Oh man I need to look into this more

Let us know what you find out...

Archived