Paint Job And Powder Coating Questions

Guest xundercoverx

Guest xundercoverx

I've been seriously thinking of returning lola to her former glory by fixing a few dents and scratches and giving her a nice paint job and getting the wheels and frame powered coated but having the least amount of knowledge about any fixing (unless its a computer) or painting I was hoping some of you nice and kind gentlemen could point me in the right direction.

BEAT UP VIFFER 5

BEAT UP VIFFER 4

BEAT UP VIFFER 3

BEAT UP VIFFER 2

BEAT UP VIFFER 1

• Member Contributer

I don't know about powder coating, but I did show my '94 some love and changed her color...I bought a 10 x 11 "Shed in a box", compressor & paint gun from Harbor Freight and painted her myself. I figure if I can do it anyone can :unsure: All in all it cost me under 1,000.00 and although it isn't perfect, I did it all myself :cheerleader: Good Luck! you will enjoy it

2013 06 07 20.00.40

2013 06 16 14.17.25

2013 06 22 15.39.56

IMG 0020

Powder coating is easy, but time consuming. I only paint in the easiest colour, so no help there. Also, that 4th Gen in white looks fabu!

I don't know about powder coating, but I did show my '94 some love and changed her color...I bought a 10 x 11 "Shed in a box", compressor & paint gun from Harbor Freight and painted her myself. I figure if I can do it anyone can :unsure: All in all it cost me under 1,000.00 and although it isn't perfect, I did it all myself :cheerleader: Good Luck! you will enjoy it

i want to do white fairings with a black powder coated frame and repsol orange wheels with a delkevic slip on

BEAT UP VIFFER 4

does anyone have an idea on what are those spots on the frame i tried everything to get it off to no avail

im guessing you didint have to fix any cracks or scratches?

• Member Contributer

Well then you would have guessed wrong, I had to plastifix a couple of places, fixed cracks & reinforced stressed areas....I just didn't take any pictures. and that is why it looks better at a distance then up close :wink:

• Member Contributer

There's a product called a 'stud lever' that looks much better than a slide hammer for pulling dents. But obviously you want to make sure your tank is totally free of gas fumes before you attempt such a thing. Might be best to leave that to a shop.

• Member Contributer

I increased the fuel capacity of my 5th gen tank by almost a half gallon when I tried to use one of those stud guns on an improperly purged tank. Problem was it wouldn't fit back on the bike after that mod. Be very careful around fuel tanks. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I increased the fuel capacity of my 5th gen tank by almost a half gallon when I tried to use one of those stud guns on an improperly purged tank. Problem was it wouldn't fit back on the bike after that mod. Be very careful around fuel tanks. :wink:

You didn't happen to video this particular mod did you? You know, for education. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, no. It would have looked pretty cool. The flame, which seemed to be about three feet long, that shot out of the gas filler hole was quite visible. This was after the paper towels stuffed in the filler hole flew across the shop. The old time body man that was helping me said "Ha! Haven't done that in a while." No injuries other than pride and wallet. The interesting thing was that all the metal movement was to the bottom of the tank. The top looked completely normal.

• Member Contributer

Dam son your lucky to be alive .

My grandfather always told me if gonna do anything to a gas tank fill it full of water first .

I had a welder tell me the safest way to work on a gas tank was to fill it with diesel fuel, then wash it out good, then steam clean it, and then have someone else work on it. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Dam son your lucky to be alive .

My grandfather always told me if gonna do anything to a gas tank fill it full of water first .

I had a welder tell me the safest way to work on a gas tank was to fill it with diesel fuel, then wash it out good, then steam clean it, and then have someone else work on it. :cool:

Good advise !!!

• Member Contributer

Hey all those guys are complaining about small tanks on their 7th Gens...here's a new mod for them. :laughing6-hehe:

Sorry but as I was reading your post I could "see" it happen. :laugh2: Glad you are still around to talk about it, could have been a really bad day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived