Carbon Fiber Windscreen?

PirateRiderBen

So I am swapping my tall and awkward looking Givi touring screen for the OEM. However, It's scratched and just not as ascetically pleasing as the rest of my near mint 5th gen. I just saw Seb did a carbon piece for his BuellYamahaCatSpider, and it got me thinking, who, where, and how much to make a cf windscreen for my bike? Has anyone done this before around the forums? Yes, I am aware of the smoked screens from Xero Gravity, and may well go that route, but thought I wold ask first. I have been long interested in accenting the bike with some carbon pieces.

-PRB

Price would be lot more expensive than any acrylic aftermarket screens.

You could try wrapping your existing screen in 3M carbon fibre wrap?

It's about $40-50 in materials and more than a few hours of labor to do an overlay on a spare screen, finished. If you wanted just carbon on a screen that large, you'd have to do multiple layers and bag it to make it strong and light, or reinforce it with 'glass mat which adds time and weight.

• Member Contributer

Some interesting links:

#1 - drop down selection shows it fits a 1998 VFR but then there is a disclaimer above the box. Confusing but might be worth a call to them?

#2 - Interesting video .... maybe enough to get you started?

#3 - Perhaps you can get in touch with the guy who made his own 1000RR carbon fiber shield.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/CARBON-FIBER-WORKS-CARBON-FIBER-WINDSCREEN

http://youtu.be/kIbLldH1TcY

www.1000rr.net/.../16486-made-my-own-06-carbon-fiber-windscreen.html (just noticed this post is from 2006!!!!!!)

I am thinking this is a solid winter project for this coming winter.... Might even attempt to make a carbon pillion cover as well, we'll see how good I am working with this stuff.

Archived