My Old Girl Is Getting A Makeover. (83 Vf750F)

bswiles

• Member Contributer

10175982_641350915933651_644303250_n.jpgI'm a long time lurker but enjoy the forums. I have owned this bike since 1988. I believe I am the 3rd owner. It has always had a special place in my heart in spite of the other bikes in my garage. I knew, deep down, that I would never get rid of her. My garage is the Hotel California for Motorcycles. "They can check out any time they like, but they can never leave." or as my wife says, it where bikes go to die. Well not this baby. She is currently undergoing a pretty substantial makeover. A fellow forum member's shop is doing the work.

I know it will never be worth the amount of money I will have in it, but me and this bike went through a lot. She hauled my butt around faithfully for years. She never let me down. When my wife and I were dirt poor and had only one lousy car, she was how I got to class and work and back. I'm excited to get her back and I can't wait to ride it.

Here is the list of parts coming in so far.

New Hagon Rear shock - New brake pads - Core Moto Braided Clutch and Brake lines - Supersprox rear sprocket, RK gold chain -

Race Tech Gold valve emulators - New fork seals - Front and rear wheel bearing set - Front & Rear caliper seal kits -Front & Rear Master cylinder rebuild kit - Front Master cylinder site glass replacement -

The calipers are getting powdercoated, the wheels and mufflers will also be powdercoated. Oiler mod will be installed...and I'm sure there will be more stuff that pops up along the way. Oh and a new decal kit will go on then a fresh paint job...

Here is her "before" picture.

If there is any interest, I will post more as they come in.

post-22116-0-72039300-1398101765.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome into the limelight lurker!

That beauty will take centre stage!!! :beer:

• Member Contributer

My heart always skips a beat when a red V45 flashes on the screen. I wish I had mine back. Please keep the pics and updates coming. Are those your R's in the background?

• Member Contributer

My heart always skips a beat when a red V45 flashes on the screen. I wish I had mine back. Please keep the pics and updates coming. Are those your R's in the background?

Kel, the R's in the backgorund are in the same shop as mine. I'm pretty sure at least one is owned by the owner of the shop however.

• Member Contributer

Once you polish this beauty to a shine, the bike will be happy and those signal lights will perk right up!

Can't wait to see more pictures!

• Member Contributer

That's a really nice story about the bike and your love for her. I hope you get her back soon so that the two of you can enjoy a nice long season of riding together.

Please keep the pictures coming.

• Member Contributer

Always a great idea to upgrade brakes in my opinion. Never money thrown away.

Soooooooo, about them extra pics... :-)

C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

valve cover shot 2.jpgThe cams are being rebuilt by Mega Cycles out of California. That and the oiler mod should keep the bike going for a long time. While its a bummer, it was not completely unexpected. More pics will be posted as I get them.

post-22116-0-89389500-1399948702.jpg

• Member Contributer

Up close on the Cam.jpgBack end torn down.jpgUp close of the dreaded cams

On to other things while the cams are off to be rebuilt. Joe has started on the back end tear down

post-22116-0-77357400-1400343066.jpg

post-22116-0-95822800-1400343195.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oiler mod.jpgThe oiler mod that is getting ready to go on.

I've decided to go ahead and have the frame powder coated. (We've come this far so why not) I was initially going with the stock color but now I'm not sure.

Black? Pewter gray or silver. The bodywork is being painted stock colors with new decals. The wheels are being powder coated a satin black. The calipers are being powder coated a darker charcoal gray. I'm concerned about having too many colors but I like the thought of changing things up a bit.

Any thoughts on different colors for the frame?

post-22116-0-62347400-1400952459.jpg

• Member Contributer

Close to stock or black if you're not going to do the swingarm is my vote. Looking great so far!!! Nice.

• Member Contributer

Up close picture of the satin black powder coating on the wheels. We decided to go with satin black on the frame to match the wheels.

More parts back from the powder coating place.

post-22116-0-40952000-1401386549.jpg

post-22116-0-63897100-1401386729.jpg

I think the black should look great on the frame. Something I want to do when I finally tear mine apart for a proper resto/mod.

Archived