How To Comply With Pre-Ride Inspection. (How To Check Coolant)

adamv

Hi,

Reading the manual for the VFR 800 the Pre-Ride inspection says (amongst other things) to check the coolant level, and to check for leaks.

However according to the manual, it appears as though I have to remove the left front cowl to access this to check it.

Are we expected to remove our fender before every ride? :unsure: Is there another way to check coolant levels? What do you guys do?

Cheers

Adam.

• Member Contributer

actually you can... flash a light on the opposite side i,e. gear lever and should be able to see the level from the front gap where the coolant is.

Isnt there a modified version, that is when you walk out to the bike and if coolant is on the ground, check it, otherwise keep riding and check the res every year or 2, when you have the cover off.

Its really a non issue to check that bottle unless the bike has some weird issue, it doesn't eat coolant, on a good functioning bike.

• Member Contributer

On the 4th gen, one has to remove the side panel so I check this maybe once a year or when I take the panel off for another reason.

Pre ride check I do is tyre thread, chain slack and fule level.

Every 3rd stop for fuel I check tyre pressure.

• Member Contributer

I would check once in a while or after a long stop and go ride.

Or if the bike is heating up.

thanks Anik

• Member Contributer

I usually have that side off for an oil/filter change. That is often enough to check the coolant reservoir and adjust if necessary.

Archived