Inland Empire Rides

• Member Contributer

CIMG0656-L.jpg

Here is one of my favorite annual springtime destinations: Palouse falls.

The Empire Builder railroad workers chiseled their tracks, tunnels, and trestles from the plains to the promised land of the west coast. This region ( NW Montana, N Idaho, and E Washington) is sometimes still referred to as the Inland Empire. I really like riding in these parts. The trains are mostly history now but you can still track them on the many gorgeous miles of roads that have been built to facilitate the regions economic progress. I will occasionally throw a few pics and blurbs up here so you guys can wish you were here! :happy:

The weather has finally relented from the winter death grip to cool and windy (sometimes wet). This gets me out the door.

Lots of folks used to ride these to get here:

CIMG0664-L.jpg

More to follow......

Another little outing on the Palouse... which is a high prairie area in eastern WA.

This is near Farmington WA

20140413_123306-L.jpg

20140413_123533-L.jpg

20140413_123551-L.jpg

Those were the days........

A few more pics from last weekend......Lake Coeur d'Alene

20140413_155803-L.jpg

20140413_155647-L.jpg

Palouse River,, i think

20140413_120347-L.jpg

A little ride I made to Aquarius, ID

CIMG0218-L.jpg

Some of the sights along the way............

CIMG0208-L.jpg

CIMG0207-L.jpg

CIMG0202-L.jpg

CIMG0206-L.jpg

CIMG0205-L.jpg

Spring is starting to spring nicely here in North Idaho

Last Saturday afternoon I cruised the very curvey and scenic Hwy 97 along the east side of Lake Coeur d'Alene down to Harrison.

Some of the views along the way....

20140503_164015-L.jpg

20140503_164001-L.jpg

The bridge just before you get to Harrison..

20140503_163852-L.jpg

Admiring the views in Harrison from the deck at 1 Shot Charlies

20140503_162520-L.jpg

20140503_162408-L.jpg

There were two of these...

20140503_162415-L.jpg

More soon, Cheers

I hope to make this route happen tomorrow.... the weather forecast is a bit sketchy, but not looking bad enough to be a deterrent...

Map%201-L.jpg

Hoping for some views like this..

CIMG2360-L.jpg

Reality check tomorrow........

• Member Contributer

Wow!

Is that a natural waterfall?

Yes......... Palouse falls is a natural waterfall, it is about 200' high. It is in the Easten Washington scablands. The cooleys were formed by the lake Missoula floods.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK! Here we go! Going to head down to Steens Mountain amongst other weird destinations over the next week.

Hope to report back with some cool pics for you.

• Member Contributer

I passed through Idaho on the way home from a trip to British Columbia.

I do not remember the roads I took. Just tried to stay off of the interstate. Found some fabulous mountain roads. Hoping to get back there someday.

Thanks for the report and very nice pics.

• Member Contributer

Max, if you are coming to the PNW ride in July, come a day early, and we can reintroduce you to some of the local tarmac.

• Member Contributer

Max, if you are coming to the PNW ride in July, come a day early, and we can reintroduce you to some of the local tarmac.

Hey JimBob, thanks for the invite. In fact I hope to maximize my locally-guided time in your fabulous area. I plan to leave MN a week or two before the meet-up, do some of the PCH, and continue on toward Calgary, Alberta and points unknown.

So I'll be contacting you for suggestions before I leave home.

In the mean time, don't let your local deer herd know I'm coming.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me!

• Member Contributer

Hey JimBob, thanks for the invite. In fact I hope to maximize my locally-guided time in your fabulous area. I plan to leave MN a week or two before the meet-up, do some of the PCH, and continue on toward Calgary, Alberta and points unknown.

So I'll be contacting you for suggestions before I leave home.

In the mean time, don't let your local deer herd know I'm coming.

Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me!

That sounds swell, Max! Ha! Keep me posted. I would be happy to help you wear down your tires a bit.

• Member Contributer

Dunno how I completely missed your report till today, but a belated well done. Some of your route is familiar but others I've never visited. Any chance of posting a map of the overall route?

• Member Contributer

I'll be in that neck of the woods this summer. I think Palouse Falls looks like it's worthy of a bit of a detour from highway 12 (Lolo Pass).

The Falls are easy to get to off Hwy 12.. The are straight North of Walla Walla for reference.. Off 12 (Westbound) you take Hwy 261 thru Starbuck which is a fun road about 15 miles to the falls........

• Member Contributer

I will post up a day at a time my trip last week, at least a few highlights for you.. I left Coeur d'Alene on Sat May 10th.. It was cold. 39 deg on the west plains..so i hauled ass down to south central Washington where thing started to warm up nicely..

I toook a couple pics at the Hanford Nuke Res..

CIMG0658-L.jpg

CIMG0660-L.jpg

From there the views got better...Mmmmm hops...

CIMG0663-L.jpg

The roads and the views were not too shabby, I wont bore you with a lot of prose....

CIMG0662-L.jpg

CIMG0665-L.jpg

CIMG0694-L.jpg

CIMG0673-L.jpg

CIMG0670-L.jpg

CIMG0674-L.jpg

CIMG0676-L.jpg

CIMG0667-L.jpg

20140511_083631-L.jpg

Camped nite #1 near here in Cottonwood Canyon....

20140510_170704-L.jpg

I had a pretty good day one, as it is now sunny and warm. I am a happy camper...

• Member Contributer

Beautiful backroads.. Someday I hope....

• Member Contributer

Day two was from Cottonwood canyon on the John Day River down to French Glen at the base of Steens Mountain

Day%202-L.jpg

I rode some pretty bitchin and scenic roads down along the way

CIMG0686-L.jpg

CIMG0689-L.jpg

CIMG0691-L.jpg

South of Burns Or.I headed out here..

CIMG0698-L.jpg

Steens Mountain came into view

CIMG0696-L.jpg

Shot of the awesome wildlife refuge:

CIMG0702-L.jpg

CIMG0706-L.jpg

A shady rest along the way..

CIMG0685-L.jpg

Home sweet home for the nite..

20140511_174859-L.jpg

• Member Contributer
Day 3; Monday May 12th Steens Mountain to Lake Owyhee. (had wrong map first time, fixed it)

Day%203-L.jpg

It got pretty chilly last night under a clear starbright sky.... high thirties. So i took my time getting organized until the sun started to peek over the top of the high steep hillsides.. Once motivated and rolled up, I rode the 4 miles of crunchy gravel road back to the highway in French Glen. By about 10am the sun was smiling brightly for me.

The first stop for the day was Diamond Or. Not much there, but this cool old hotel might be good for a return visit some day.

CIMG0709-L.jpg

CIMG0708-L.jpg

Another place that might be fun,

CIMG0711-L.jpg

With Diamond in the dust behind me i tooled out Lava Bed Rd htrough weird formations until i got to French's round barn. I found this to be cool:

CIMG0722-L.jpg

A really cutting edge design for the times.......

CIMG0726-L.jpg

CIMG0723-L.jpg

The circular training track

CIMG0725-L.jpg

I headed north... up to a curvy Oregon Highway 20 along the Malheur River...

• Member Contributer

I rember that place,,..

Back then (1987/August), we rode in Black & White.

BW1987-08-35.jpg

Ha ha ... I have those memories too.. If I only had a digital camera back then... er, well ok, maybe that wouldn't be so good..

Great pictures, I have to see Palouse Falls one day...

Palouse Falls is awesome in May, that is the time...

• Member Contributer
From the Buena Vista overlook of the wildlife refuge to the Lava Beds this region around Steens Mountain is fascinating, and I am likely to return sometime when the high country will be accessible. That will have to be in August...also I hear the bugs can be pretty bad out here. My visit has been great.
I romped up over some big climbs on the smooth 2-laner Hwy 20 over the Stinking Water Mountains, and smae name creek, bombed through the canyons of the Malheur River, arriving in Vale Or. with a huge grin on my face. Hwy 20 exceeded all expectations :). Here is where i found fuel and grocery supplies for my excursion down to Lake Owyhee state Park.
Just a bit south of Vale on the Hwy known as Lytle Blvd..i came to a historical Oregon Trail site.. This is Oregon, after all. Among the various exhibits was this. It make my campout trip seem pretty puny..
CIMG0732-L.jpg
There are well preserved wagon ruts here too, but just take alook at most any sagebrush covered field, and there you have it..
With calm and clear blue skies above me, and time on my side, I motored up the Owyhee River canyon.. The road is fun, but not fast, and the scenery got more dramatic with every bend until I got to here :
CIMG0735-L.jpg
Then you get to this....
CIMG0737-L.jpg
My campground views....
20140512_174535-L.jpg
20140512_174916-L.jpg
Happy camper
CIMG0745-L.jpg

Day 4, Tuesday May 13, Lake Owyhee State Park to Gooding Idaho
Day%204-L.jpg
This morning arrived much warmer than yesterday which was really nice to relax with the coffee in the mild sunny weather as the lake changed colors with the rising sun angle. Lk Owyhee State Park amenities are great and I help myself to a second shower this morning..(first one last nite) .. After putzing around camp and reorganizing my now dry and defrosted gear, I finally hit the road about 10am.. No great urgency today as I have until 6pm to finish off about 210 mile to my Sisters house.
I slowly navigated the crazy road around the lake back to the dam that is the lake maker.. Due caution is advised on this road…
CIMG0748-L.jpg
On down the canyon I was entertained by the fishing activity, obviously this is a popular place for the linemen, cars are parked at every available wide spot. Waders are the style. The road was pretty entertaining too.
CIMG0749-L.jpg
Out of the Owyhee valley . Looking back
CIMG0750-L.jpg
took the turn and headed for Adrian OR.........

Archived