Going To Texas Tornado Boot Camp 4/15-18. Any One Else?

jstanwood

• Member Contributer

I'm doing a bucket list item and going to a riding school. In the past, I had wanted to got to the Fast Freddie or Schwantz schools, but those are defunct. I got hooked on the idea of sliding around, flat track style, once I went to the Indy Mile race last year. Something about getting sideways just looks really fun.

This camp is a mix of riding school, gun range time, and hanging out with Colin Edwards and friends. I've seen that JD Beach, Brad Baker, Bradley Smith, and Scott Redding are going. This is the post-COTA camp, so there might be more surprise attendees.

I'm beyond excited, but also nervous. I don't know how many mere mortals will be there besides me. My goals are to make it home in one piece and to not be slowest among the mortals. BTW, this will be my first time riding a dirt bike other than a pit bike. :blink:

Are any other VFRD members going? Does anyone want to try to meet up for dinner Friday, 4/18? I'll be leaving the camp in Montgomery/Conroe, TX around 5 pm and making my way back to HOU. I have an early flight out Saturday morning.

I plan on a full report once I get home and recover. I've been training as best as I can since January to get in some sort of shape. I have a GoPro rental on the way, so I hope I get some good footage.

Now, the last thing is to be productive through 3 more days of work!

• Member Contributer

I so want to attend one of these, Someday when time, money and everything else comes together!

I had been saying the same thing for several years. Things like $, airline miles, and hotel points worked out this year, so I'm doing it before I get any older and more brittle! My bum lower back and repaired shoulder are not going to be happy with me...

It's not cheap, but the reviews I've read say it's very much worth it. The memories should last a lifetime, too.

• Member Contributer

WOW!!!

I wish...

With you in spirit , Man... make us proud and come back and let us know how awesome it was and how we haven't lived our lives to fullest...

I heard Collin never loses and even stacks the deck in his favor... check his tires and see if he has the freshest knobbies!

• Member Contributer

Just get Colin to say 'NACAs are the besr' on tape will ya??? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I am WAAAAAAY jealous. I want to do this one day. I hope he is still doing the school in a few years when I can finally go.

• Member Contributer

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!

Represent the V4 brigade with style and aplomb.

Try to remember when you are immersed in it how amazing it is that you are there. Soak it all in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I made back in one piece. What a week it was! :cheerleader:In short, it was worth every penny, and I'm ready to go again (as soon as I heal up and earn more vacation time).

As you said, Keith, it was truly amazing to be there. I really had to pinch myself a few times. Colin, his family, and his friends/staff are great folks. They're just a bunch of big kids.

I have lots of video and photos to go through and process, so it may take a while.

• Member Contributer

So........ Did you get Colin to say it???? :-)

Crap! No, I forgot! He sure said a lot of other stuff, though. What a character.

I did get Bradley Smith to record a video for a coworker of mine who is NOT a fan of his. Bradley was a good sport about it, and my coworker got burned. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Was Rolph there attending? He is a german dude!

I don't remember meeting a Rolf. There were two Germans, though: Moto2 rider Marcel Schrötter and a woman named Bettina.

There were a bunch of Aussies from Yamaha there. Some might have been speaking German, because they were hard to understand. :goofy:

Archived