Where Your Eyes Are Through Curves

landlover

• Member Contributer

So the ST is now faster than the NC, if I want it to be. The Bridgestone T30 GTs turned my nice, mild mannered sport tourer into a Motard. I actually ran down a motard today on the ST and I joined Yellow Wolf for a BMW GT1600 chase that was very entertaining. I don't know if my ST's suspension is stock the way it was hauling a$$ today. Shock probably is but the forks may be resprung. I will check tomorrow night.

ST owners need to stock up on the T30 GTs if this weekend is any measure. The bike feels like it lost 300 pounds. Most amazing transformation of a bike i have ever felt.

Fabulous day of riding capping off a great weekend.

KEB

The eyes follow the curves.

But they get stuck on the Camel Toe.

Wait, is this the right thread? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

The eyes follow the curves.

But they get stuck on the Camel Toe.

Wait, is this the right thread? :goofy:

A quote from The Pace 6.9 I believe. Totally relevant.

• Member Contributer

I've been trained to always look through the turns. This is track instruction I am referring to. At a track day I follow this 100%.

On the street (twisties is all I ride on the street, no commuting) I tend to veer away from this. If you've ever watched Valentino he looks down in front of the bike instead of looking through the turn. I tend to do the same thing. I'll look through the turn first for obstructions then down at the Tarmac in front of me. This technique has saved me countless times from hitting gravel, animals, you name it. It's also not something I would recommend to someone else because it goes against the general rules of always looking through the turn.

It's just what works for me.

To me, being smooth on the throttle, and smooth on the brakes when faced with adversity is as important or more important. A panic braking maneuver can quickly launch you over the bars or cause you to low slide.

• Member Contributer

True. Target fixation probably causes more spills than any other thing besides speeding beyond your abilities.

Yes, so true, look where you want to go, NOT where you do not want to go. Bad habits from driving cars! I have to consciously think about don't stare at that gravel, pothole, etc. etc.. Look where you want to go!!!!!!! Need to drill it in my head!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

There are a number of books that will provide thorough answers to your questions. I still pull the "Proficient Motorcycling" books off the shelf for a read.

One thing that will help - if you aren't already doing it - is to cock your head in the turn. So, in a sharp left-hander, cock your head slightly toward your right shoulder to keep your eyes level with the road as you search through the turn. Obviously, it's the opposite for a right-hander.

Yes, need to read proficient motorcycling. Think it would be a good overall basic skills book.

Will try turning my head in the opposite direction of the turn.

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

There are a number of books that will provide thorough answers to your questions. I still pull the "Proficient Motorcycling" books off the shelf for a read.

One thing that will help - if you aren't already doing it - is to cock your head in the turn. So, in a sharp left-hander, cock your head slightly toward your right shoulder to keep your eyes level with the road as you search through the turn. Obviously, it's the opposite for a right-hander.

Juneau, Alaska Wow, bet you have quite a few favorite routes!!

If where you look is where you go there should be a lot more bike accidents up girls bums :tour:

I bet they mostly go unreported. :laugh:

Archived