Hooking Up A Switch And Need To Double Check This

WGREGT

I'm about to set up my GPS on the VTEC, and wanted to verify my thoughts first.

I'm thinking of wiring a simple cig lighter into the brake light wire (cause it gets power only when the key is on) and simply putting it under the seat somewhere. There are many ways to hardwire in my Garmin GPS, but I'm choosing to simply buy another car plug like the one that came with the unit, and plug that in under the seat as well. Nothing permanent, and easy to remove if I sell it and the next guy doesn't like it/need it/want it.

So, now it wil come on when I turn the key like I want, but...it also will turn on when I'm not carrying the GPS with me. That cord will have power all the time. Sure, I could remove the seat and unplug it, but I also have Ken's solo rack, which needs to come off first, as well as an ill-fitting Corbin that is a PITA to get locked down.

So, I was thinking I'd like to have a simple SPST switch like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

and wire it up so the cig plug is only hot when the key is on AND the switch is thrown.

I *think* I can do that (and here's where I need this double-checked) by:

-running two wires from the switch (since it has only two tabs on the switch) to the hot/red cig lighter wire. I'd cut that hot/red cig lighter wire (that goes to the rear brake light) in half, and one of the switch wires gets sodlered to one half of that hot/red cig lighter wire, and the other wire from the switch gets soldered to the other half. This way, the switch completes the circuit and I get power when the switch is thrown and the key is on, and no power when it's off.

That sound right? I know just enough about 12V systems to be a liability in most cases.

• Member Contributer

So your writeup is just confusing enough, that I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I think you have it. The following schematic is how it should be:

Tail Light + splice-------Switch------Outlet + Outlet - ---------------Ground

It is good practice to use a switch with some level of ingress protection (dust/water protection). I'd recommend IP54 in an exposed location, but IP51 is probably sufficient.

Here's a diagram of what I was talking about that may explain it better? Basically I'm thinking that by cutting the hot/red wire that runs from the cig plug outlet to the rear brake wire in half, and connecting a short wire that runs from the switch to each half of this wire, the switch when off or on will complete the circuit for me, and allow power to the cig lighter outlet, or not.

And yes, the GPS has an off switch, but I'm doing this so the wire doesn't have power going to it all the time when I am not carrying a GPS with me.

post-8118-0-84601800-1396925874.jpg

• Member Contributer

go straight to the battery with the cig plug...

add an on /off button where ever you want..

the reason is simple. you may want to charge a phone with out the bike running or sitting with all the lights on. :beer:

the reason is simple. you may want to charge a phone with out the bike running or sitting with all the lights on. :beer:

A good thought. Add the switch just like I'm thinking here...by cutting the hot wire in half and wiring in the two wires from the switch?

• Member Contributer

Yes, the way you have drawn is fine. You can fuse it if you want, but I would go with lower rated than the lighting circuit fuse. That way if you get a short in this circuit, you shouldn't loose your lights. If you use higher rating than the lighting fuse, then it will be pointless, as you will just blow the lighting fuse anyway.

Why would it be an issue for the cig plug to be energized at all times when the key is on?

If nothing is plugged into it, and 12v is present, there is no problem.

The ones in your car are energized all the time..........

• Member Contributer

Why would it be an issue for the cig plug to be energized at all times when the key is on?

If nothing is plugged into it, and 12v is present, there is no problem.

The ones in your car are energized all the time..........

he needs an off switch ,so he CAN leave the gps/phone charger plugged in all the time with out killing the battery of the gps/phone/camera and whatever else works with the cord. :wink:

• Member Contributer

He said it was going to be plugged into the taillight circuit, so it would only be on when the key is on. I still don't see the need for a switch???

what happens when you over charge your bikes battery? it fries!!!

whant to guys what happens when you leave your phone charger in every day and never let it drain?? the battery life drops ! big time!!

if you own an electric car.. and you dont let the battery drain before charging you are cutting life short by 3 to 7 YEARS!!

imagine shelling out 6 grand for batteries 2 years after buying your "GREEN" car..

yeah a phone battery is only 10 bucks .. thats IF you can take it out and replace it..

I'm thinking of wiring a simple cig lighter into the brake light wire (cause it gets power only when the key is on)

No, only when you hit the brakes, hard to navigate this way.

I have an auxilary plug that is always live, when I am parked and need to plan a route on my GPS I prefer not to have to turn on the ignition. Also this way I can leave the phone on the charger when I am parked (e.g. for lunch, with the bike in my sight).

But for what you want I would recommend hooking up the plug using the positive wire from the tail light: tail light + => in line fuse => switch => positive terminal of the plug, negative running straight to ground.

Or use a relais if whatever you intend to plug into the cig. plug can draw a lot of current.

elektriek4.jpg

Cig lighter plug on 30, 85 not running to the battery but to the positive tail light wire.

Hmmm...good thoughts about having to run the GPS on the side of the road, and not having to turn the lights, etc on.

So, looks like an on/off switch on my cig plug socket wire, or simply running it to an "always hot" wire or the battery seems like a good idea now.

I thought about simply installing a cig plug socket somewhere close where I can just use it like in a car, but on the VTEC the dash options are limited. And my Garmin plug is tall...I thought about putting it in the plastic dash panel on the left or right (the black ABS horizontal part where it slopes right in the inner dash by the bar ends) but the bars would surely hit the Garmin plug on full lock situations.

• Member Contributer

+ battery --------------- 5 amp fuse ------- on/off switch --------- +cig

ground---------------------------------------------------------------------neg cig..

get it?

got it? GOOD!!

i had duel set up phone charger with the usb cable slot in back.

i shrink wrapped the cables together and used a 2 rubberbands to keep the charger in the cig port.

and it tucked under my seat the cables exited near the dash. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Yeah? How so?

"Hmmm...good thoughts about having to run the GPS on the side of the road, and not having to turn the lights, etc on. "

• Member Contributer

I'm about to set up my GPS on the VTEC, and wanted to verify my thoughts first.

I'm thinking of wiring a simple cig lighter into the brake light wire (cause it gets power only when the key is on) and simply putting it under the seat somewhere. There are many ways to hardwire in my Garmin GPS, but I'm choosing to simply buy another car plug like the one that came with the unit, and plug that in under the seat as well. Nothing permanent, and easy to remove if I sell it and the next guy doesn't like it/need it/want it.

There are aftermarket chargers available for garmin which don't require the cigarette lighter socket. Much less bulky.

http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Hardwire-Charger-StreetPilot-receiver/dp/B007WN4RL6

Just google 'garmin hardwire charger'.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

There are aftermarket chargers available for garmin which don't require the cigarette lighter socket. Much less bulky.

http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Hardwire-Charger-StreetPilot-receiver/dp/B007WN4RL6

Just google 'garmin hardwire charger'.

true , but with the cig socket you can plug in anything you may pick up later..

like your girls i phone charger or laptop charger. or...? :wink:

Yeah, I saw those, but they don't have the "live traffic" box on them like the Garmin ones do. It lets you know of traffic issues ahead, delay times, and rerouting ideas.

So, it sounds like I could just wire the cig socket right into the battery, forget about the on/off switch, let it be on all the time, even when I'm not running a GPS, and it would be fine? I guess I was thinking the battery might run down if left like this indefinitely? Also, if left live and the GPS-end of the cord got wet in the rain, then what? Possible short-outs?

So, it sounds like I could just wire the cig socket right into the battery, forget about the on/off switch, let it be on all the time, even when I'm not running a GPS, and it would be fine?

Never had any issues with mine, it is supposed to be waterproof (with the cap closed).

!CEo0bN!EGk~$(KGrHqYOKm8Ez4Eg6eiqBNSeQfv

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I saw those, but they don't have the "live traffic" box on them like the Garmin ones do. It lets you know of traffic issues ahead, delay times, and rerouting ideas.

So, it sounds like I could just wire the cig socket right into the battery, forget about the on/off switch, let it be on all the time, even when I'm not running a GPS, and it would be fine? I guess I was thinking the battery might run down if left like this indefinitely? Also, if left live and the GPS-end of the cord got wet in the rain, then what? Possible short-outs?

seriously? you cant spend 5 min to add a push button on /off switch? :huh:

Archived