What Will 4Th Gen Owners Do?

artyldr01

I hear many comparisons to 6th gen and some 5th gen bikes, however, I own a beloved, but in need of a little TLC, 1994 with 88,000+ miles on it. Truth be told I have only put the 8,000 on it in the ten years I've owned it (feel free to flog me...my excuses are long and boring). It has been my dream bike since it first arrived in 94. I love it but must admit some "modern bike" envy and would like to add at least a bike made in the 21st century to the garage. I have been waiting...and waiting...for a new VFR that I love as much as mine. This one doesn't quite do it but is growing on me. It will be hard to justify to two bikes in the garage to the Mrs.

That said, does anyone hear have any opinions, perhaps through extrapolation of their 6th/5th Gen bikes, on a comparison between the stock 4th gen and the 20-years-newer 8th gen?

I suspect my trade-in value might be low and not worth trading so I might get to keep them both on financial/sentimental basis but ultimately, will this bike make other 4th-gen owners take the plunge?

If you love the one you have, then either find a lower mileage example to swap over to, and/or hang onto yours until you find one that does tug the right strings in your being.

My 6th gen was love at first sight when I saw that sexy rear end on Cycle World's "New for 2002" magazine cover. I almost got that feeling again with this new bike. Almost.

My guess is that the 8th Gen will wipe the floor with the 4th Gen in every area, so don't test an 8th Gen if you've still got some 4th Gen love going on. And I say that as a committed 4th Genner... I rode a 6th Gen when they were just released and loooooved it; just not enough to make me want to switch camps.

• Member Contributer

I'd buy one tomorrow. (if I had the $-son just started graduate school-lottery tickets here I come!) But it would share garage space with my 4th gen.

• Member Contributer

wait? they make other VFRS? i thought the vfrs stopped in 2001.. :unsure:

mean everyone knows real VFRs have gear driven cams.. :goofy:

if its not a 2nd 3rd or 4th gen.. i dont want it.. no FI for me! no siree!

• Member Contributer

The big things you will give up if you upgrade is the gear driven cams (if that's to your liking), and the super smooth operation of the carbs. If you can live with losing those two, then I'd at least go look at one at a dealer, and maybe try a test ride.

• Member Contributer

Your middle name not Judas per chance?? :goofy:

Maybe 30 pieces of silver will buy you one.....

NACA's are the BEST!!!

Your middle name not Judas per chance?? :goofy:

Maybe 30 pieces of silver will buy you one.....

NACA's are the BEST!!!

Ha! That's kind of how I feel...Like being married to the hotest, smartest, coolest, funnest woman with the highest libido on the planet...and still cheating on her. LOL BUT if she is THAT awesome perhaps she would mind some company!

• Member Contributer

I sometimes have similar thoughts. I've ridden several more modern bikes since I got my 4th gen in 2006. Every time I get back on mine, I wonder why I had those cheating thoughts.

The fact that it was paid-off the moment I bought it helps, too.

Paid cash for mine too. Gaining a payment NOT very appealing. Putting money into a R/R (that I think is fried at the moment), fork job, chain/sprocket, some cosmetic scuffs from slow speed/embarrassing tip overs, adding heli-bars and Givi bags/trunk are the things I need or want to do. Adding all that has me still on the fence.

I have the friendly Honda Dealer nearby on orders to call me as soon as the new one arrives (also insisting on bags) so I can take a look. If it isn't love at first sight/sound/ride then I think I'll have my answer.

• Member Contributer

artyldr01,

I too have a Gen4 and consider it the best all-around motorcycle I've ever owned. Bought mine new in '94 and have racked up over 120k miles and it still runs flawlessly. Other than the R/R and tail crack issues, it has been a perfect everyday bike. I'd never part with it. However, after 20 years, I too got the new bike itch. Thought about waiting for the Gen8, but for me, without a liter class V4 motor, it just isn't enough to get me to pull the trigger, though it will certainly be "better" than the Gen4.

I bought the Gen7 DCT and thought of selling the Gen4, but wouldn't have gotten enough to overcome my loyalty to it. So, now I have them both! I suspect this might work for you too, regardless of which new bike you choose.

• Member Contributer

I've found it's good to have a backup bike. But I have deer hunting me. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

ridden the 5th and 6th gens... each generation seems to get just a little bit better. where Honda lost me is when they gave up the gear-drive cams after the 5th... my 4th is simple and bullet-proof and does everything the way it's supposed to. I don't know what I'll do yet, once the parts (fairings, gaskets, etc) gets to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

• Member Contributer

ridden the 5th and 6th gens... each generation seems to get just a little bit better. where Honda lost me is when they gave up the gear-drive cams after the 5th... my 4th is simple and bullet-proof and does everything the way it's supposed to. I don't know what I'll do yet, once the parts (fairings, gaskets, etc) gets to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

No need to look 10 years in the future just yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It's pointless speculating; you need to go and try the new bike and only then will anyone know if the new bike is for them.

I've test ridden it and I want one. As a 5th & 6th Gen owner, it's better than both of them in every sphere that I consider important (actually, pretty much every area it is better).

Whether or not I would end up loving it as much as I love my 130,000 mile 5th Gen is something only time will tell.

I started off with a 5thgen, have had 2 6th gens, now I have a 4th gen which is immaculate, relatively low Ks which I bought because it has an Australian superbike replica paintjob produced by honda Australia to comemorate the 93 94 Ozzy superbike championship winning RC30. Only 25 were produced

Anyway, back OT as stated all the gens get better and better in terms of handling and braking but the 4th gen engine is SWEET.

The front end however leaves a lot to be desired in standard form, IMO (brakes and forks).

I have resprung and revalved the forkes and fitted a Wilbers rear shock and now it handles and stops OK.

I will be keeping this bike because it is collectable, but I am getting the 2014 model because it ticks the boxes for me (except for vtec).

This will be my regular ride.

I have not test ridden one but if it is not significantly better than all the previous ones I will be very surprised.

Archived