Modified Tail

Guest Tutman900

Guest Tutman900

Thought I would share with everyone my tail fairing that I am doing. I'm not a big fan of the look of the wide rear so I thought I'd thin it up a bit. This tail was busted up a bit so I didn't really mind chopping it up. I don't never really think of taking pictures until its too late so all the steps aren't there.

post-29828-0-73615600-1396839195.jpg

post-29828-0-76743900-1396839253.jpg

post-29828-0-03356900-1396839362.jpg

post-29828-0-64413200-1396839402.jpg

I like that look. I reckon I'd go further and plastic-up the whole tail light opening (leaving the half moon in place) then fit these lights, or the clear LED aftermarket ones that look the same (RC51 lights, bike is FotoMoto's bike when it had an RC45 tail):

gallery_611_2920_8772.jpg

Edit: And then of course I find exactly the bike I had in mind:

gallery_14579_3991_31974.jpg

Built by another member here, D4N, who has since sold it. Tail section is Thurn.

• Member Contributer

I have a busted up tail in my shed, so follow this with interest :beer:

• Member Contributer

With the tail light shown it would be a no brained to wire up the right and left sides to signal. Integrate the lot. Nice

Go for it - I also think this wide rear section is too big for the bike, visually. Are you doing this in fibreglass then?

Nope no fiberglass, I cut out a couple triangle shaped sections and used a heat gun to reshape the part that was left, used some of the pieces I cut out and trimmed them and glued them in place. If I remember ill get a picture of the inside of the fairing and you can see the pieces that were cut out and put back in. I'm using various glues for it, some type of superglue and 2 different epoxies to bond everything together and fill in the gaps. For this tail I'm going with the stock tail light but am hooking up an integrator to it. I have another tail section its an airtech race tail that came with the bike and i bought a zzr led tail light that I will be putting in that one . I'm making this tail one piece, all the pieces have been glued together and the seems filled in.

Just got my other tail light in today, so I'm gona start working on my other tail section, this light is led with built in blinkers, should look good I think. I got a whole set of race fairings with the bike, and I don't race so I figured is make it for the street and I like the single seat look.

post-29828-0-70174900-1397095589.jpg

post-29828-0-40940000-1397095610.jpg

Looking real good! I swear I have seen this before though. I think there is a member who had a 5th gen nose grafted to 4th gen bike and smoothed the tail as well. I think she lived in Europe somewhere, but cannot be sure.

Got some primer on, I'm going to do a little sanding so I can see my high and low spots and get those taken care of, so its almost done. I probably should have filled in those holes in the back but I didn't.

post-29828-0-67457800-1397182142.jpg

post-29828-0-06259500-1397182172.jpg

Looking real good! I swear I have seen this before though. I think there is a member who had a 5th gen nose grafted to 4th gen bike and smoothed the tail as well. I think she lived in Europe somewhere, but cannot be sure.

You have a very good memory, I'd forgotten about that bike. It did indeed look great.

Coming along nicely Tutman!

You have a very good memory, I'd forgotten about that bike. It did indeed look great.

Coming along nicely Tutman!

It's kind of hard to forget a beautiful woman who likes to ride and rides well and her choice is a custom VFR! Even my wife said, "Damn, she's cool!"

that was martina kap and she lives in NY.

member name martinkap. and her gallery has tons of pix

Thats the one! I don't know the etiquette of linking another members gallery or I would post a link to her pic's. Though now that I look through the pictures of the tail again, I like the direction of this one better. This one will have some contour lines that I believe will blend with the bike better.

Looking good Tutman. Another thing that can take visual weight out of the tail is application of 'race panel' graphics, like so:

13845263745_23de60129b_o.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photo - back in 1998 I didn't even own a camera, all my money went on this bike... the photo was taken on one of those disposable cardboard cameras :smile2:

Looking good Tutman. Another thing that can take visual weight out of the tail is application of 'race panel' graphics, like so:

13845263745_23de60129b_o.jpg

Excuse the quality of the photo - back in 1998 I didn't even own a camera, all my money went on this bike... the photo was taken on one of those disposable cardboard cameras :smile2:

Whoa... that is one of the prettiest 4th gens I have ever seen! I love the wheels and the raised white lettering on the tires! I bet you miss that bike.

LOL, no, I've still got it :smile2: although technically yes I do miss it, I haven't ridden it since 2002... thanks and I agree, it looked great! and sounded great with that snarly Staintune.

Hopefully she will rise from her slumber soon... but she doesn't look anything like that these days.

More pics - sorry Tutman!

13848076405_9aa3e48dca_o.jpg

13848313394_0cae15e460_o.jpg

13848076155_93a6e41cd2_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

Raised lettering..... that is old skool....

did that in the 80's on my K100RS and Lemans....

IM000029.jpg

Well, there you go Dutchy - what's eighties in Europe is nineties Down Under... we're a bit slow down here! Apparently there's this new group called Roxette... haven't heard them yet because I've got Duran Duran on my Walkman ; )

Well, there you go Dutchy - what's eighties in Europe is nineties Down Under... we're a bit slow down here! Apparently there's this new group called Roxette... haven't heard them yet because I've got Duran Duran on my Walkman ; )

lol, thats priceless. However you could have at least picked a better band that Roxette!

Raised lettering..... that is old skool....

Old school or not, it still looks cool!

• Member Contributer

Steady......................

:offtopic:

I dated a girl late 80's who looked like Marie Frederiksson; a big plus in my eyes then!

post-8974-0-13958500-1397494793.jpg

As for funky tails....

post-8974-0-94868200-1397495035.jpg

Archived