98 Header On 02 Vtec

fixy

• Member Contributer

Rush the bottom header is after coating ?

And what you guess a 5% gain in HP's ..

Yes and yes... probably 3% - 5% gains to be realistic throughout all the people who have made this mod.

you need a hi-flow air filter and fuel tuning to maximize the benefit, but it is not an extreme change being it is stock OEM Honda so a PC may not be needed for a 6th gen. I swapped it out on a Y2K so it was just a performance upgrade to the existing model. I do have a BMC filter with Coderighter mod and a PCII.

You heard it here... Don't bother with performance mods unless you're slapping on a supercharger!

The guy is asking specific technical questions about swapping headers, not for opinions on whether or not he should do it.

WTH ^^^^ ..

IDK ?!?

Not aimed at you guys, just the "you won't notice a difference", "too small a gain", and "I don't think you should do this" crowd.

• Member Contributer

OK. I have lot of modifications. I have already removed cat last year, but it is a large empty spot in middle of headers. If 98 doesn't have cat, I think the flow is much better. The thing is, I have Leovince slip on, O2 sensor removed, k&n filter, a big hole in airbox(snorkl, flaper, out, with poliester made one big hole) Power commander 3USB, and I want this headers so I can take my bike to a motorsport company, that is tuning(making) costum maps for racing bikes, so they can make me a perfect map for my bike.

Someone wrote that is some thing with centerstand, is it possible to see with any pictures.

1998 is it a VFR750 or 800????????

My center stand bumper was on the mid-pipe going to the muffler... is this different on the 6th gens? Otherwise, your center stand will continue to bump against the mid-pipe bumper. Someone with a 6th gen may be able to help you get some clarity on that... I'm a 5th gen guy. The catless headers do not have the hanger that bolts up on the front side of the cat (see pic in previous post). They weigh less and weren't designed with the additional support.

Do you have the headers? If you do decide to make this mod may I recommend 2 things? First, smooth the welds on the exhaust runner flanges on the inside of the pipes where they bolt to the engine. I can't find my notes but when I measured these welds and then smoothed and polished them out with a Dremel grinding tool I increased the cross sectional area of the pipe at this critical transition by over 30%! I was blown away by the improvement with less than an hour of work. Don't go so deep as to compromise the weld, just grind away the roughness and polish lightly. Second, as mentioned earlier ceramic coat the the headers to protect your work and investment. Oh... and one more thing, when installing the headers only torque the flanges to exhaust manifold studs to spec. They bend easy and there is no reason to over tighten. The spec is real low, like 9 lbf/ft I think.

Then bring it in for a custom tune as you have planned and enjoy the benefits of your efforts!

gallery_19432_6921_12553.jpg

gallery_19432_6921_43080.jpg

gallery_19432_6921_125776.jpg

gallery_19432_6921_44533.jpg

• Member Contributer

WTH ^^^^ ..

IDK ?!?

Not aimed at you guys, just the "you won't notice a difference", "too small a gain", and "I don't think you should do this" crowd.

Ah gotcha I was lost there for a minute ....

I just can't get past the hassle of removing the old and re-installing the 5th gen one . Like I wrote before I have look at it before but the task looks daunting.

Rush the transition is much better nice job !!

• Member Contributer

Thanks SB... It really pulls all the way to the rev limiter now. It used fall off at the very top and start to lose pull after 10.5k or so. Now I sometimes bounce off the rev limiter because I don't have that distinct sensation that I've reached the top.

The swap may seem daunting... but it is really just a few nuts, maybe 10 or 12. The prep and coating takes way longer than the pull and swap. Has anyone done a how to thread? I've got a bunch of pics of the install but none of the disassemble otherwise I'd do one...

Maybe a TMAC parking lot job :goofy:

I'll bring my tools...

• Member Contributer

Thanks SB... It really pulls all the way to the rev limiter now. It used fall off at the very top and start to lose pull after 10.5k or so. Now I sometimes bounce off the rev limiter because I don't have that distinct sensation that I've reached the top.

The swap may seem daunting... but it is really just a few nuts, maybe 10 or 12. The prep and coating takes way longer than the pull and swap. Has anyone done a how to thread? I've got a bunch of pics of the install but none of the disassemble otherwise I'd do one...

I'll bring my tools...

That's funny No really can we ?

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'll bring my tools...

Yes we can... It's that easy.

Do you have a center stand? Prep the header before and mail it to the hotel, get the 4 exhaust header gaskets, 2 runner gaskets for the back pipe connections, and the big single gasket for the header to mid-pipe connection, a couple of zip lock sandwich bags to hold the hardware so it doesn't roll down a drain. potato vodka, Coke Zero, flashlight, and some ball bearings...

• Member Contributer

So seems like whats being said is you will gain as much performance as the ratio to how much weight the bike will lose. Some say not worth the effort.

Rush2112 stealing my thunder. Yup did this 10 years or so ago just before having the header coated.

Personally I think it was worth the effort. And yes any mod has an effect on the system, more air here, more flow out, more fuel needed, gains realized when tuned as a system.

post-24095-0-84404300-1396995897.jpg

• Member Contributer

So seems like whats being said is you will gain as much performance as the ratio to how much weight the bike will lose. Some say not worth the effort.

Rush2112 stealing my thunder. Yup did this 10 years or so ago just before having the header coated.

Personally I think it was worth the effort. And yes any mod has an effect on the system, more air here, more flow out, more fuel needed, gains realized when tuned as a system.

Wow, you took it all the way down to flush.... I was afraid that might compromise the weld integrity and shorten the life span. I stopped just before that. Any issues with the that area of the pipe after 10 yrs?

• Member Contributer

No issues at all, looks like pic date was 3/05 so since then. If i had had a hone the correct size i probably would have finished with that! If memory serves correct the weld bead was stout, both sides maybe. Flow smooth my friends.

• Member Contributer

I'll bring my tools...

Yes we can... It's that easy.

Do you have a center stand? Prep the header before and mail it to the hotel, get the 4 exhaust header gaskets, 2 runner gaskets for the back pipe connections, and the big single gasket for the header to mid-pipe connection, a couple of zip lock sandwich bags to hold the hardware so it doesn't roll down a drain. potato vodka, Coke Zero, flashlight, and some ball bearings...

Your are the man ....

• Member Contributer

You heard it here... Don't bother with performance mods unless you're slapping on a supercharger!

The guy is asking specific technical questions about swapping headers, not for opinions on whether or not he should do it.

Which is quite right and excellent that you can do that.

I don't doubt what you say. Interesting though.

You need to read posts properly then.

I was merely questioning why and when he explained I did offer an opinion. Am I not entitled to one, nor to express it? Based on 14 years and 150k+ of riding VFRs.

Excuse me for thinking this was a place of free speech.

I have got all the answers that I need. There is a trouble to find any headers that I need. I guy was selling 98 VFR for parts, I called him, he said he had headers, no problem, 40€. I was so happy. Then he asked me ''how can you put 750 headers on 800''. And I said what? He said, yes this is VFR750. I told him 750 was until 97, 98 can only be 800. He said ''maybe I made a mistake''. Maybe I will leave catless headers on, cause I have planned next week for costum tuning. Thank you for the answers.

Mitja

Slovenija

• 3 months later...

:smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

I really have to thank you all for the personal involvement in this intelligent discussion.
I found in these few pages anything to fulfill my interest/curiosity about the topic. Something I have searched about for about three months...
Yes, I have bought the vfr 98 headers.
I have a 2002 vtec ( PC3, laser exhaust, no lambdas, wife not so happy about the use of my savings)
I followed your technical advices, and polished the inner diameters of the runners.
Prepared the bike for the upgrade. Waiting for the gasket kit to arrive.

GREETINGS FROM MONT-BLANC

• 1 year later...

Archived