98 Header On 02 Vtec

fixy

OK, my vtec frends. I know there is an answer for my question on the forum, but I don't have enough time to search all the topics, so I am asking here if I could get all the answers.

I own 2002 vtec abs, I want to put on 98 headers. In some topics it is answered they fit to my model. Is that correct?. Are there needed any modification to fit or just fit and drive?

Next thing. Does the pipe fit from the header fit directly to pipe of exhaust, like with original headers?(mark 1 on the picture)

The nuts fitted to engine, the lower bolt are all alligned correctly?

And because of the new gaskets, what gasket must I buy?

For 1998? Or for 2002?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VFR800-Fi-VTEC-2000-2009-EXHAUST-GASKETS-SEAL-RINGS-SET-COMPLETE-/360893297201?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5406eab231

I would like to make no leakage, so I would like to add sealant to pipes connecting the leovince exhaust, what sealant is good for the job.

post-28784-0-38503700-1396512605.jpg

1. do they fit? Yes

2. any mods? No, apart from O2 eliminators, that I cant answer, I dont have them.

3. Does the pipe fit from the header fit directly to pipe of exhaust, like with original headers? Yes

4. The nuts fitted to engine, the lower bolt are all alligned correctly? Yes, it all bolts up exactly the same. These are fragile bots, dont overtighten !!

5. gaskets? Get the earlier ones. Or check the part numbers, they may be the same anyway. These are almost destroyed each time you take the headers off. Mine were when I got my hears jet-hot coated.

6. Sealant? Dunno, I've never bothered.

Alos, do yourself a favour and use some copper grease (but sparingly) on the gaskets and other joining points, it will help everything slide back together.

HTH !

• Member Contributer

In addition to the exhaustive (see what I did there?) list above you may have to fab a bracket that keeps your chain off of the centerstand as the 98-99 headers have a bump stop that hits the clamp area while the 6G has a specific brackets that extends just aft of the cat...

• Member Contributer

If you go with Y2K or 2001 headers you can keep the O2 sensors, as they have ports for them. Likewise if you go after market SS headers, the later years have O2 sensor ports. Other than that they are the same. Point to note is that the 5th Gen headers do NOT cross over like the 6th Gen ones, but the pipes still link the same pots. You will need to re sync your starter valves & I would suggest that the 5th Gen settings be used as they are based on this exhaust layout !

• Member Contributer

Why '98 headers? They will rust. 2000/2001 models had stainless headers so unless there's another reason for using '98 ones, I'd look for later model ones so they wont rust.

• Member Contributer

98-99 are cat-less.

Any exhaust can be cat-less. I'd far rather have a S-S one with the cat cut out than a rust-prone mild steel one with a cat.

JMHO.

98-99 are cat-less.

Any exhaust can be cat-less. I'd far rather have a S-S one with the cat cut out than a rust-prone mild steel one with a cat.

JMHO.

Or you can just get the 98's coated.

• Member Contributer

I bought a set of cat-less '98 headers for my 5 Gen and had them ceramic coated, getting them put on is another story. I bought another set for my 6 Gen but that set needs to cleaned up a bit and I'll have them ceramic coated too.

• Member Contributer

If you go with Y2K or 2001 headers you can keep the O2 sensors, as they have ports for them. Likewise if you go after market SS headers, the later years have O2 sensor ports. Other than that they are the same. Point to note is that the 5th Gen headers do NOT cross over like the 6th Gen ones, but the pipes still link the same pots. You will need to re sync your starter valves & I would suggest that the 5th Gen settings be used as they are based on this exhaust layout !

In the US the 2000 - 01 5th gens have catalytic converters and the exhaust crosses over... we sometimes refer to them as gen 5.5

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Found this out last time, if you have it coated make sure to tell them to "flow coat" it, otherwise they just do the exterior and whatever a quick shot to the inside of the pipe, its not the entire inside. To me thats where the difference is made, exterior is more corrosion.

Why '98 headers? They will rust. 2000/2001 models had stainless headers so unless there's another reason for using '98 ones, I'd look for later model ones so they wont rust.

Catless and designed better to be catless.

PLUS they have 3mm Larger tube dia. making them flow more/better !!!!

I think Motad or Delvek make a SS Catless set, but neither are quality built like OEM Honda.

• Member Contributer

Nice DIY job... looks good. No offense, but that cat chamber was designed to maximize catalyst surface area as the exhaust passes through the honeycomb not efficiently usher exhaust gases out when the chamber is empty. That in conjuction with the larger diameter exhaust runners that BR pointed out makes a 98-99 header more of a performance upgrade than a gutted cat chamber on a later model

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Ok guys, I get the increased flow theory regarding the 98/99 headers plus the cat box too, but I fitted a set of de-catted 6th Gen headers to my 5th Gen 7 years/70k miles ago and noticed NO performance difference whatsoever. It still feels stronger than my 6th Gen mid-range and it doesn't rust. So despite the theory, in practice I don't think that anyone could notice whatever performance difference there may be.

JMHO of course.

• Member Contributer

Ok guys, I get the increased flow theory regarding the 98/99 headers plus the cat box too, but I fitted a set of de-catted 6th Gen headers to my 5th Gen 7 years/70k miles ago and noticed NO performance difference whatsoever. It still feels stronger than my 6th Gen mid-range and it doesn't rust. So despite the theory, in practice I don't think that anyone could notice whatever performance difference there may be.

JMHO of course.

Fair enough, by the seat of the pants with nothing to compare side by side you probably can't notice a few missing horsepower or ft/lbs of torque... but its there and its measurable; and if you had another identical bike with a properly set-up performance exhaust to ride right after riding yours... I think you would feel the difference.

• Member Contributer

JMHO of course.

Fair enough, by the seat of the pants with nothing to compare side by side you probably can't notice a few missing horsepower or ft/lbs of torque... but its there and its measurable; and if you had another identical bike with a properly set-up performance exhaust to ride right after riding yours... I think you would feel the difference.

I don't doubt what you say. Interesting though.

OK. I have lot of modifications. I have already removed cat last year, but it is a large empty spot in middle of headers. If 98 doesn't have cat, I think the flow is much better. The thing is, I have Leovince slip on, O2 sensor removed, k&n filter, a big hole in airbox(snorkl, flaper, out, with poliester made one big hole) Power commander 3USB, and I want this headers so I can take my bike to a motorsport company, that is tuning(making) costum maps for racing bikes, so they can make me a perfect map for my bike.

Someone wrote that is some thing with centerstand, is it possible to see with any pictures.

1998 is it a VFR750 or 800????????

• Member Contributer

OK. I have lot of modifications. I have already removed cat last year, but it is a large empty spot in middle of headers. If 98 doesn't have cat, I think the flow is much better. The thing is, I have Leovince slip on, O2 sensor removed, k&n filter, a big hole in airbox(snorkl, flaper, out, with poliester made one big hole) Power commander 3USB, and I want this headers so I can take my bike to a motorsport company, that is tuning(making) costum maps for racing bikes, so they can make me a perfect map for my bike.

Someone wrote that is some thing with centerstand, is it possible to see with any pictures.

1998 is it a VFR750 or 800????????

The '98 is the first 800.

I'm still not convinced that in the real, day-to-day world of road riding, anyone would notice the difference between the different headers. Sure if you line a fully-tuned 6th Gen up against a stock 6th Gen with wider bore headers/no Cat, there may be a discernible difference, but my experience of fitting 6th Gen smaller diameter headers to a '98 model is that there is no difference, at least not in the real day-to-day world. Indeed I ride a lot with other VFRs (4th, 5th & 6th Gen) and there is no noticeable difference. The benefit of non-corroding headers make this a no-brainer for me so I would not consider putting '98 headers on a 6th Gen but then you're not me, it's a free world (mostly) and you can do what you want.

If you are planning to race the bike, then that is a different story.

I agree with Skids. In the real day to day riding world any improvement gained, IMHO, would not be of any real use and I guess is only a very small gain anyway. I ride one of the other VFRs he mentions riding with BTW and in our regular group the proof is there, my standard Gen 5 (albeit with after market end can) but still with cat doesn't have any issues keeping up with those modified for 'better flow' or non cat versions anyway.

• Member Contributer

So you are saying the gutted system is worse off by collector design?

What I'm saying is a cat-less '98 - '99 exhaust header is a better performance mod than a gutted cat system. The empty cat chamber is not designed or shaped as an efficient "Y" collector pipe and the empty chamber will have turbulent gas flow because of that. Because of the shoulder, or squareness, of the chamber it can even develop a resonance with a reflected wave that could reduce exhaust scavenging effect at certain rpms. The tubes of the catalyst honeycomb would direct gas flow and prevent this in normal operation.

The 2 into 1 collector on the '98 - '99 exhaust header has a more efficient "Y" shape design and the exhaust pipe runners exiting the motor have a 3mm larger diameter than the stainless cat systems and flow exhaust better at higher rpms. The stainless cat systems uses the smaller diameter pipes to increase exhaust gas velocity to get hotter exhaust gases to the catalytic converter quicker to heat up the catalyst surface and reduce emissions. The sacrifice with this is more back pressure and reduced exhaust gas volume flow at higher rpms when compared with the '98 - '99 exhaust header.

Sand blast the headers with aluminum oxide, not glass bead because the silicates left behind can interfere with ceramic adhesion, and ceramic coat and corrosion is a non-issue. The whole thing cost me less than $150 including buying the headers.

gallery_19432_6921_53778.jpg

• Member Contributer

Which is quite right and excellent that you can do that.

Most of us would have to pay for things like that to be done (I even had to pay £10 for a guy at work to cut my cat out) but if you have the skill & tools then stuff like this is much more easily achieved.

I still doubt you'd notice any difference in performance though. :beatdeadhorse::beer:

Archived