2014 Vfr 800 Review

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I know Honda is going to want a pile of money for one of those swingarms and I should probably just buy some suspension work, but I WANT one of those swingarms. I used to like the body work more until someone brought up the resemblance to a panigale that was punched in the face.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the link scmiata1990. I'm sold! Now all I need is the money and a place to park it ... :laugh: I'm eagerly awaiting the first test ride/owner ride reports by site members :fing02:

• Member Contributer

It sounds like there will be more room under the seat for storage than on 6th gens . . . finally, a place to put some gear!

• Member Contributer

"although it went a bit cocky and NR750-esque in the Nineties,"

FU VD!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Just as soon as I think I'm committed to buying a 6th gen... this review comes along and throws me for a loop. The pictures in the article really invite the eye to study the subtleties of the new design. I like it more and more, each time I see it!

• Member Contributer

Where are the bags?

Probably still in the Givi design shop.

It seemed to be a positive review, albeit lacking in detail especially regarding the ride itself; perhaps they weren't allowed much time on it.

There should be a plethora of ride reports over the next few weeks as the main bike mags publish. I know next months Bike (UK magazine) has a test ride report on it. I'm dubious of the legality of photocopying and putting it on the site but maybe they'll do an electronic version we can link to.

I want to know if the headlights are any good.

Because the VTEC headlights are just about unbeatable, in my opinion!

It's true they illuminate the road and upcoming objects like no other and w hi-beams on even moreso.. but they are also part of the 6th gens' stator-frying suicidal tendencies.

Led technology in cage headlights has been perfected. Shouldn't be a problem and I imagine is Honda's attempt to rectify the critical failure glitch in the 6th gen's charging system. Less demand and a stator with lower output = less potential overheating.

The 5th gen I owned before my 6th gen didn't light up almost anything, so it can't be worse than pre-VTEC models.

I'd buy, but am seriously economically challenged at the moment. I reckon it's what the 6th gen should've been, at least the 2006 modified 6.5 gen version.

• Member Contributer

It's true they illuminate the road and upcoming objects like no other and w hi-beams on even moreso.. but they are also part of the 6th gens' stator-frying suicidal tendencies.

Led technology in cage headlights has been perfected. Shouldn't be a problem and I imagine is Honda's attempt to rectify the critical failure glitch in the 6th gen's charging system. Less demand and a stator with lower output = less potential overheating.

The 5th gen I owned before my 6th gen didn't light up almost anything, so it can't be worse than pre-VTEC models.

I'd buy, but am seriously economically challenged at the moment. I reckon it's what the 6th gen should've been, at least the 2006 modified 6.5 gen version.

How curious.....in 13 years/160k miles of VFR riding my experience is the exact opposite; the 5th Gen fries the electrics yet has excellent headlights. Not quite as good as the 6th Gen, but bloody brilliant still. 6th Gen has no issues with electrics at all. I wonder if the differences are down to regional differences?

And another review http://www.morebikes.co.uk/2014vfr/

For those that want to see luggage

Thinking about trading my r1200gs for this. Hired one in 2002 for NZ tour and hated the vtec transition and linked brakes. They failed due to poor maintenance and left me with no brakes.

Looks like a lot of positive development to me.

How curious.....in 13 years/160k miles of VFR riding my experience is the exact opposite; the 5th Gen fries the electrics yet has excellent headlights. Not quite as good as the 6th Gen, but bloody brilliant still. 6th Gen has no issues with electrics at all. I wonder if the differences are down to regional differences?

I've had no problems with the electrics (still on the original R/R as far as I know), only my second? third ? battery in 10 years, and the lights (55/60 W with adaptor rings) are very good. I've only ridden 1 sixth Gen - that was immediately before I test-rode and bought my current bike.

I've had several opportunities to buy a newer bike, but couldn't see the point; what could it do that my current (much modified, much loved) 2001 doesn't do? And I must say the latest iterations of the VFR don't do anything for me. If I was going to get another bike, it might well be a different marque (despite over 40 years exclusively on Hondas, and 20 on V4s).

Archived