Michelin Pilot Road 4 On A 5Th Gen

kyojitsu

So - the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is the hot new sport touring tyre for 2014 and seems to be OE for many models from BMW. I've seen no bad reviews of the PR3 but very little on the new version.

I just fitted a pair of these and after a couple of hundred miles in variable weather and cold temperatures I thought I'd give you an initial review. I guess if you live in Southern California etc you may not be that interested!

It's slightly tricky to make a direct comparison as the VFR is a new bike to me and I didn't give the previous tyres much time to impress me. They were Diablo Stradas and all I can say is the front was getting worn and felt horrible cranked over and in the wet they didn't feel great. Given it's still chilly and wet here in the UK and I commute year round along twisty, bumpy country roads strewn with mud from tractors, it was time for a change.

New tyres are very different. The ride can only be described as plush. Very comfy. Plenty of feel though, great stability with more neutral turn in. Almost feels like the suspension has been upgraded - lots of feedback but the harshness of the Pirellis has gone. I've had to ride in some really filthy weather this week, lots of surface water and temperature close to freezing. The best compliment I can give these tyres is even though I'm still getting used to the bike I've got total confidence in the grip and traction. It's meant my riding style hasn't had to change that much.

No drama under heavy braking either - just lots and lots of grip. The tyre seems to be designed to work well with a heavier bike and of course the VFR is no featherweight so it's well-suited.

As the weather warms/drys up it'll be interesting to see how they pan out but I'm pretty confident for this bike, in this Northern European climate they're a really great match.

Can you tell I'm impressed?

Do you ride in the rain a lot ?

I do but more by necessity than choice. We've had the wettest winter in years in the UK so getting to work means riding in the rain.

So, did you get the standard PR4 or the GT version? (for heavier bikes)

I got the regular PR4s and they seem to be the right choice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Do you ride in the rain a lot ?

I do but more by necessity than choice. We've had the wettest winter in years in the UK so getting to work means riding in the rain.

So, did you get the standard PR4 or the GT version? (for heavier bikes)

I got the regular PR4s and they seem to be the right choice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-4 I would to if I rode in the rain a lot ...

I didn't even know the PR4s were out! I'm looking to replace my rear tyre soon, I've a Metz Z8 on there and Z8 on the front too (which has a good deal of life left in it) so will probably just replace the rear with a Z8 and then maybe try out the PR3s...

I just spoke with Revzilla customer support & guess what--the guy helping me owns a '99 VFR 800~

He said go with the standard instead of the GT tire with the VFR.

BTW, he said they were the BEST tire he's ever had on a bike. Plus the PR4 has a 20% increase in tire life.

I'm going to go with Michelins next time I change mine. Have always stuck by the Dunlop Sportmax which were fitted to my 5th Gen. when I bought the bike. When I had the YZF it was shod with Continentals and they were absolutely superb in the wet. I also used to ride in the UK year round so had them during cold wet days and can highly recommend them. I sometimes wonder how I stayed upright at times on the M2 & M25 during rush hour but put it all down to the decent boots on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Keep posting your guy's reviews and thoughts on the PR4s! I have the PR3s on mine and love them. I am able to take the bike to the edge of the tire with no issue; I never feel as if the tire is losing grip during aggressive riding. I'm looking to the PR4s when I need to replace my existing.

For a sport touring tire, the PR series is phenomenal. I converted from BT-023s and refuse to go back.

• Member Contributer

I've had PR3s on both my VFRs (2nd set on each) and love them so assuming the PR4 is an improvement means they must be a very good tyre indeed.

Will have to check the cost difference to see if the extra is worth it as I am more than happy with the PR3s.

Nice write-up kyojitsu, I was wanting to hear some feedback.

In case you're interested here's a couple of quick pics to show you the tread pattern and how they look mounted. They're a little different to the PR3s.

nageqe8y.jpg

vy6eda5y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well had a rear PR3 go flat on me at 75mph in the diamond lane Thursday... Almost lost it...loved the tires and had over 7000 on them with a lot more tread left. Just bought a PR 4 yesterday..so this morning on the way to work will be the first ride...looking forward on a canyon ride very soon...maybe Monday on the snake..will advise ;)

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I can't decide now between pR4's and T30's, my front pireli angel has about 60% tread left,dunno whether to ditch it and buy a new set or just another rear Pirelli angel and then change both 2gether next time,decisions decisions...

• Member Contributer

It will be interesting to see what the opinions on these are once they've got a few thousand miles on them. My PR 3's scalloped a lot more than the PR 2's did, so I'm hopeful the 4's are better on that score.

• Member Contributer

Well had a rear PR3 go flat on me at 75mph in the diamond lane Thursday... Almost lost it...loved the tires and had over 7000 on them with a lot more tread left. Just bought a PR 4 yesterday..so this morning on the way to work will be the first ride...looking forward on a canyon ride very soon...maybe Monday on the snake..will advise ;)

Do tell, how did it happen? Was it cut or did it wear through?

Put a PR4 on the front the other day. Has about 5 miles from the trip home, and will break in and try next weekend.

Once the Pilot Power on the back is done I'll go PR4 there.

Front tire was about $145, Power would have been about $105 plus mount tax etc.

Hopefully I get enough extra miles so it pencils out.

Put them on the 03 Tuono a while back. Like the way they handle, but it's a good handling bike anyway.

Can't comment on wear as yet. But rear Pilot Powers on that bike are toast after 1,500 miles. :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

There's just something about the look of the PR's that I can't get my head around,there's just so may sipes in the rear tyre,it doesn't look right,

I'm sure it's a great tyre though, the Pireli angels are costing £60 less, tempting

• Member Contributer

What happened ?

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

PR4's ordered,should have them fitted by Friday,I'll post my thoughts after a few hundred miles.

Any thoughts after a few months?

• Member Contributer

Just returned from the BMW MOA Rally in Minnesotta. Had a chance to talk to many other riders who had tried the PR4s and are loving them. Not one complaint so far.

I don't ride in the rain much on my 5th gen but may look at spooning a set of these on the 6th gen after the Angel GTs wear out.

1000 miles on PR4s now and very happy with them too. Espcially good in the wet. I emailed Michelin and they advised to go for the standard PR4 for a VFR; the bike isn't heavy enough (in their view) to warrant the GT version. Price difference to PR3s was small over here when I bought them.

Archived