First Rides Of The Season Lesson

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

Most of us in the colder climates have been itching to get out and ride. Some of us have done modifications to our bikes over the winter break. This combo can lead to us wanting to ride in less than ideal condition just in order to test out our new set ups. That said...

I changed a lot of stuff this winter. Front end and delink being one of them (5th Gen) I was riding around my garage area, probably faster then I should have been and testing the brakes out. New pads, fresh bleed...feeling good. Then I grab a handful of front brake and full lock up, the bike starts to slide out and squirt to the left (Note; this would not happen with the linked system) Close, but I did not go down. Brake check, done!

Colder than usual I was eager to go out on the road and feel the fruits of my labor over the winter. Everything feels great! She is pulling strong and feels sharp, a bit cold but still great to be out. Mild left hander and I roll the throttle on as I exit, the back end slides out like I am on a banana peal. Controlled slide, but a slide non the less. Cold tires and cold climate. Again I didn't go down but made me realize that you/I need to ease in to the riding again. I jumped in and started riding like it was last summer and the same set up.

So take it easy for a bit guys and be safe, not like me.

• Member Contributer

Although we don't have to "winterize" our bikes here in So Cal I do get the anticipation factor sometimes. Particularly when waiting so long for a part or accessory to come in and just wanting to throw it in/on and go. This usually leads to incorrect installation and/or breaking something because you're in a hurry. I agree, always ease back into things especially when it comes to motor vehicles. Glad you didn't go down, that would have been a real bummer.

Did you get you new tires on yet? I've been out twice already & rode to work a few times last week. When I went out last month I had a few surprises when going through the turns & found snow from people clearing there driveways in the middle of the lane. Glade I was paying attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I took the bikes out of the garage to de-winterize them yesterday. Wooooo Hoooooo. The sun was out, weather was 10*C (not hugely warm but nice enough) so I rolled the bikes out, went to hook up the hose to give them a rinse after a winters worth of dust in the garage (I have a tarp for one but not the other) and noticed a hole in the garden hose. Off to the hardware store to replace the hose, and the clouds started closing in, come out of the store and the clouds now have the area socked in. Got back home in time for the rain to start, so I rolled the bikes back in the garage thinking, "Ah hell, I can still do it in the garage", then the rain turned to snow. #$%&*( :mad::pissed:

Closed the garage door, covered the bikes back up and thought maybe I'll try again later.

• Member Contributer

Did you get you new tires on yet? I've been out twice already & rode to work a few times last week. When I went out last month I had a few surprises when going through the turns & found snow from people clearing there driveways in the middle of the lane. Glade I was paying attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, old tires still on. Soon...

Plus if you're off riding a couple or few months, your skills are likely to be rusty.

Mild left hander and I roll the throttle on as I exit, the back end slides out like I am on a banana peal. Controlled slide, but a slide non the less. Cold tires and cold climate.

Guess that shook some of the rust off. Glad it worked out OK. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reminder. I've been riding to work a few days per week now that things are warming up. I'm usually pretty mellow with the commuting crowd drinking coffee, texting, and such but the temptation IS there to whack that throttle and blast by everybody in sight. I could use an extra voice telling me to chill it for a few more weeks! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

For some riders, the 1st ride of the season is like a cow getting out off the shed into the grasslands again....

post-8974-0-38268200-1395144247.jpg

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Some guy Darwin'd himself last week or so by riding like a fool and hitting a pot hole at excessive speeds. Oops. I can wait until road conditions improve and sand gets cleaned up.

Are you talking about the accident in Minnesota off 394? If not some guy did the same thing a week or so back. 100+ mph with snow on the shoulder and salt on the roads... No thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Are you talking about the accident in Minnesota off 394? If not some guy did the same thing a week or so back. 100+ mph with snow on the shoulder and salt on the roads... No thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Not to mention some serious pot holes. Headline should have read "Squid Dies Young At 100+ MPH". Word was it was a Repsol replica Honda.

Archived