3Rd Annual Hog Tie 2014 Event Thread - September 12 - 14, 2014

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Ladies and gents, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Hog Tie 2014 is now scheduled for September 12, 13, 14 of 2014.

I have talked to Debbie at the Hub (where we've stayed the last 2 years) and thus far we are the ONLY group coming in to the hotel that weekend. She's got 20 rooms blocked off for us as of now, so please give her a ring to make your reservations! The number for The Hub is either (870)-743-4062 or 1800-597-9963. Please ADVISE DEBBIE YOU'RE WITH VFRD.

The hotel is about 8 miles south of Harrison Arkansas on the Highway 7 Spur off of Scenic Highway 7. It's southeast of Mystic Caverns and north of Dogpatch USA.

I'll be editing this post with all the pertinent information in the coming days.

Traditionally, this has been a come-as-you-are, invite whoever you want and don't plan on any organization event. We just kind of put out the call and see who shows up. That's not everyone's proverbial cup-o-tea, but the riding is absolutely fabulous and the fellowship is good!

I know a few people will choose to show up early (or stay late) and make a longer trip of the ride, but the "Hog Tie" is officially as follows:

Day 1: Show up... sometime. Take some rides around the area if you're inclined and eat some pie.

Day 2: Get out of bed whenever you feel like it or the group you're riding with wakes you up. Put on your gear and go ride. All. Day. Long.

Day 3: Roll out of bed, shower on this morning... it's Sunday after all, and either go for a ride or head home.

Randall and Debbie, the owners of The Hub, have been tremendous for us in the past. They've allowed us to grill up some burgers, and do a cook-out. They do have a restaurant on-site that is really damn good, we typically have a few beers and sit around the campfire in the evenings.

Some things to be aware of:

1) You are ultimately responsible for your enjoyment of your event. Try and pick a group to ride with and keep your groups between 4-6 bikes.

2) Ride within your limits! We've been blessed so far with NOBODY having an accident, let's keep it that way!

3) Have some cash on you. Some of the small shops in the area are cash only.

4) This is some technical riding, and the roads out here chew up tires. Have good rubber on the bike and lots of it left.

5) The Hub is NOT the Ritz. Know that. It's clean though!

6) Road-side scenic overlooks are a good place to pick up chicks.

Personally, I plan on taking a LONG trip this year to the Hub. I've moved 600 miles further away than I used to be from there, so I'll be taking a few days for some good vacation time. Likely, the week prior to the event.

There are several other topics in the Hog Tie section of the forum with much information. Read up! PM me with any questions.

-Jon

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I intend to come down from Minneapolis, MN earlier in the week. At 650 miles it's a bit much for this old carcass to do in one day. I'd hope to spend at least as many days there as it takes me to get there and back. So it'd be a Wed. arrival at the latest.

I. Can't. Wait!

• Member Contributer

Not sure yet but I am planning to be there on the 5th and stay the whole week and going home on the 14th. I will know for sure in the next day or so. 3 to 4 days is just not long enough, to many good roads to ride.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What's the word, Fred? We going to ride together for a few days prior? Currently I'm planning on arriving the Saturday before. I need some time in AR this year!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I'm in... just updated my calendar with the new dates.

Rod said he was going to go too... I'll give him the dates.

• Member Contributer

Updated the calendar w/ the new dates, currently planning being there on the 11th or possibly earlier...

• Member Contributer

You mean you didnt turn around and do 123 again the first time?

• Member Contributer

What's the word, Fred? We going to ride together for a few days prior? Currently I'm planning on arriving the Saturday before. I need some time in AR this year!

That's is the tentative plan Jon. I should be there on Friday the 5th or Saturday the 6th and stay the whole week through the hog tie.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Talked to Rod and he is moving so he can't make it... :pissed:

• Member Contributer

We will be there...probably on the ST again, so riding in slower group. I am going to work on my pre-load adjuster and see if I can get some more ride height out of the old girl when we are loaded up...scraping parts is a bummer...

You mean you didnt turn around and do 123 again the first time?

No, it was on Saturday when I still had to make a 2.5 hr ride home and I was beat from hanging off like a monkey all day, and didn't want to hit 123 again before the ride home. I know--I was a nancy boy. Shoulda had a Snickers, I wasn't myself when I was hungry.

I think I'm just gonna stay lazy and planted on the seat next time I go like you old guys, that seems to be how you can ride all day and be fine afterwards.

Course the leather pajamas always make me feel like a hero on two wheels.

• Member Contributer

You mean you didn't turn around and do 123 again the first time?

No, it was on Saturday when I still had to make a 2.5 hr ride home and I was beat from hanging off like a monkey all day, and didn't want to hit 123 again before the ride home. I know--I was a nancy boy. Shoulda had a Snickers, I wasn't myself when I was hungry.

I think I'm just gonna stay lazy and planted on the seat next time I go like you old guys, that seems to be how you can ride all day and be fine afterwards.

I may be old... I'll own that 'cause it beats the alternative.

But I've never been accused of being lazy and planted in the seat...

...well, I have been accused of being lazy but not on a bike!!!

Can I get a witness?!?! AMEN!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

PS: Us old guys... Nick, Rod, and me rode ~300 miles of twisties that Saturday and one of us was on a S1000RR. I left half my knee pucks in AR and still had an 8 hr 400 mile ride through G2 and several G1 Gold Standard twisty roads on Sunday to get home.. you may want to rethink your stereotypes... besides,I've seen some old guys that will stay planted in the seat and still make you look slow... heck, they may even be sportin' a pillion!

... and, I never said I was fine afterwards... but it was worth it! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

PS: Us old guys... Nick, Rod, and me rode ~300 miles of twisties that Saturday and one of us was on a S1000RR. I left half my knee pucks in AR and still had an 8 hr 400 mile ride through G2 and several G1 Gold Standard twisty roads on Sunday to get home.. you may want to rethink your stereotypes... besides,I've seen some old guys that will stay planted in the seat and still make you look slow... heck, they may even be sportin' a pillion!

... and, I never said I was fine afterwards... but it was worth it! :goofy:

By God, I think that was a jab at Mark and Steve....

I'm in this year. I will have paid days off for the first time in years!

Awesome! Will be good to meet you!

• Member Contributer

Well I don't know about that...but I am an "old guy". However I think back to the time I finally learned how to go down the ski hill fast but with little effort... learned from my sponsor who is ten years my senior. He skis like he is on fire but looks like he is taking a stroll in the park ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Spent yesterday running laps on some of the roads here in Colorado. Had a ball on Pikes Peak highway... Must have run that 4 times before snow pushed me down hill. The VFR didn't want to idle at 14k feet.

As fun as that road was, Arkansas is better. Can't wait to get back.

Archived