Do's / Dont's To Washing Your Bike?

adamv

Hi,

Sorry for such a noob question, but I've never owned a road bike before, let alone anything with fairings, computer, etc and I was wondering if there's anything I should know about washing my bike. ie: Is it OK to use...

- steam washers?

- pressure washes?

- Detergents such as truck wash, etc

... or can any of this stuff damage the bike, or electronics and should i just be using soapy water and a sponge?

Also, is there anything special I should consider about the chain? ie - should I put chain lube on it after washing, or keep away from the chain with pressure or steam washes, etc?

Thanks

Wash with regular car soap and a soft wash mitt.

Inside the fairings, use a dilluted degreaser and a soft bristled brush. This will take some experimentation to find the right degreaser/water ratio. I had one commercially available degreaser actually discolor my wife's Highlander wheels. I haven't made that mistake again.

I've powerwashed many bikes. I'll use a specific engine degreaser and follow it's instructions.

I'll use my cut/ratio'd degreaser on the rest of the bike if need be. I'll steam clean the engine, and hose off the rest of the bike as to not force water into connections.

When it comes to washing/degreasing, the more cautious road is the wiser one. Like I was telling my 7 year old daughter today as we were removing a tank pad from my 4th gen, 'it's better to start with something you KNOW won't hurt it than have to back pedal in a hurry'.

The chain, I use WD40 on mine at the conclusion of EVERY ride, then use chain wax on it while it's still warm. Yep, may be a bit anal, but it makes for a clean chain and one that will last a long time.

I don't use a pressure washer on my chain. I put the bike on the center stand, and hit it with WD40, then carefully take a rag and hold it on the chain while the bike is in gear. It takes practice and a bit of hootspa, but it works well.

I put the bike on the center stand, and hit it with WD40, then carefully take a rag and hold it on the chain while the bike is in gear. It takes practice and a bit of hootspa, but it works well.

That is a really bad idea. Easy way to get hurt. Check YouTube for proof.

• Member Contributer

I put the bike on the center stand, and hit it with WD40, then carefully take a rag and hold it on the chain while the bike is in gear. It takes practice and a bit of hootspa, but it works well.

That is a really bad idea. Easy way to get hurt. Check YouTube for proof.

A really, really bad idea. A guy from the VFR mailing list can give you all the particulars of why that practice can lead to serious repercussions. He thought it was a good idea

and he was super careful, right up until it pulled his hand into the rear sprocket. He had some pics and definitely not for the weak of stomach. He'd been doing it for a long time

with no issues, but once was all it took. Seriously, you really need to rethink that, it's a really dumb practice.

I've never used a car wash/pressure washer on any bike but a friend of mine used to use one to clean his Triumph to keep the rear wheel clean. It worked so well that his rear

wheel bearings gave up the ghost while he was pulling a wheelie and down he went. When we checked the wheel and bearings there was no grease to be seen in the bearings

and the dry balls had eaten up the retainer and the bearings just locked up.

The correct spelling is "chutzpah". But still a dumb thing to do. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Wash bay wand is fine if you don't get too close. As for the chain... Search youtube for the GSXR rider who lost 3 finger-tips.

This bike - never hand-washed, only wash bay.

OK, I'm blatantly using this opportunity to use a pic of my old QuickSilver. DOA Oct. 2008.

post-8780-0-24146400-1394321225.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use hot/warm water mixed with some Simple Green and use the garden hose with spray nozzle. I vary the pressure when spraying the bike, medium pressure for lower areas (i.e. Wheels, body panels), lighter pressure for the upper areas (i.e. dash panel, handle bar areas). I leave the seat on too and then dry everything with a chamois, remove the seat to get the water that gets trapped under there. I do the WD-40 trick on the chain, then I use proper chain lube, but I never put the bike in gear! For those with more "chutzpah", KYO, I just put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel by hand a little at a time.

If you are to use a home or commercial power washer, try to avoid hitting the chain, bearing seals (water can get past the seals, drive out the grease and cause corrosion) and any exposed electrical harnesses, plugs switches and other electrical components with the power spray....

Do not just let the bike drip dry but dry it with rags or compressed air asap. In areas where access is difficult to use rags, WD40 works pretty well to displace the water and avoid corrosion. "WD" = "Water Displacement"...

yeeaaahhh, ok, advice taken, I won't take that shortcut again...I never did it very frequently, but I'm not doing it like that anymore...I saw pics on U tube, ugh

I don't wash my bikes, that is not to say I don't clean them. I don't trust pressure washes, nice way to lift factory decals. Don't like using water, get's in & sits & rust things it shouldn't. Yeah I ride in the rain, but I always dry the buggers off & put a good quality silicone spray over the chrome, that stuff loves to pit very quickly. This is a pic of my previous F3 & its around 14 YO then.

I use kerosene to clean the chain.

Bike2.jpg

• Member Contributer
I don't wash my bikes, that is not to say I don't clean them. I don't trust pressure washes, nice way to lift factory decals. Don't like using water, get's in & sits & rust things it shouldn't. Yeah I ride in the rain, but I always dry the buggers off & put a good quality silicone spray over the chrome, that stuff loves to pit very quickly. This is a pic of my previous F3 & its around 14 YO then.

I use kerosene to clean the chain.

I also dont wash my bikes -just clean it after every ride using spray bottle with soap solvent and wipe with microfiber cloth. It has worked well for the past 5 years. However i donot ride in the rain.

• Member Contributer

I also use a spray bottle and soft cloth for cleaning rather than washing. If the bike's really dirty and needs more cleaning, I avoid spraying water - I just rinse using no water pressure and then dry everything thoroughly using my Blaster. Some people use leaf blowers, but this thing filters and heats the air. It's amazing how much water gets trapped in various places. Works great on the cars too.

metro_blaster.jpg

• Member Contributer

Okay, now I have to post my other bike. This was taken a couple years ago when I was thinking of selling it. It's always been washed with a hose and usually generic car wash.

Usually waxed a couple time a year. I bought this new in 1986 and I still think it looks good. Everything is original except wheels, bags, and exhaust system. And brake lines. And

tires. :wink:

IMG_0340.jpg

I've got only one thing to add: don't just wash your rear wheel; get a rag with kerosene or WD40 on it and wipe off any chain spooge first. I found out that using spray-on / rinse- off wheel cleaners was causing the emulsion to run onto the tyre and soak into the surface of it. It does wear off after a bit of riding, but if that riding happens to include damp or wet roads early on, then your ride may be a lot more exciting than you expected.

My bike is lucky if it gets washed once a year, but I do wipe off some of the worst road grime occasionally, and give the paintwork a bit of a wipe over with Plexus or whatever is handy, like Lemon Pledge.

• Member Contributer

i buy a bottle of $1 store shampoo and hand wash with a soft sponge. if something REALLy nasty dirty. i let the shampoo sit of a while it always works...

my question is..

where are all the shams that make this soft great smelling poo?

and why do we clean out heads with it? :blink:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

My question is "Why can't I get the real thing?" I have to settle for this sham poo, why can't I get the real thing? Is there some kind of

conspiracy?

Hi,

Sorry for such a noob question, but I've never owned a road bike before, let alone anything with fairings, computer, etc and I was wondering if there's anything I should know about washing my bike. ie: Is it OK to use...

- steam washers?

- pressure washes?

- Detergents such as truck wash, etc

... or can any of this stuff damage the bike, or electronics and should i just be using soapy water and a sponge?

Also, is there anything special I should consider about the chain? ie - should I put chain lube on it after washing, or keep away from the chain with pressure or steam washes, etc?

Thanks

I don't see any issue with steam, normal water pressure, what types of detergents, etc.

- Serious note about the side radiator - please DO NOT point your jet spray directly to the fins, they are very soft and could be destroyed very easily.

- During your washing, there may be some water come inside your exhaust system, so make sure you start the bike to get rid of all that water before getting the bike stored in your garage.

- You may point your jet spray from under seat upward. It's no problem to do so, but please remember to open the seat and clean all ingress water.

- If your bike is 6th Gen with OEM exhaust, be careful with the exhaust cover, it may cut your hands.

- For chain cleaning, you should see on Youtube, there are some great and simple way to do. Even with old toothbrushes. To me, after cleaning chain, I will put the bike on stand, start the bike, hit the 1st gear and let it run for some minutes, to ensure no water left inside the exhaust, and to remove water from the chain as much as possible, then apply chain lube.

with regard to helping your wheels...after they are CLEAN (I do use Eagle 1 wheel cleaner if they are bad, but keep an eye on it, a close eye) I'll dry and hand wax with a quality carnuba wax like Meguiars

Archived