How To Wheelie Vfr 800

Guest Ilan

Besides the "style" which can be written off to personal preferences, there is something else to consider: damage you doing to the bike.

I never put the chain through the cases, but I remember growing up many friends were buying engines when the chain snapped ...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wheelies are juvenille and immature. With that being said I can't believe I still do them at the age of 40 LOL!!! I grew up on 2 stroke dirt bikes so it just seems to happen every so often.

Rollin

So glad you admit your folly, Rollin. You do remember the first day we rode together you wheelied away from me at the first stop sign.

Let me give you some tips...

1. Don't ever power-wheelie. The lack of control you have is the danger here. You may get it up, but it's a slow climb and it can be wobbly.

2. Clutch-up every time.

Really? I think it's other way around: Power wheelie is less violent and less damaging to the equipment. Clutch-up hammers the clutch and drivetrain, also one wrong move and you are on your back.

That's my opinion based on 20+ years of experience...

Power wheelie with 56 hp

DSHawk4.JPG

this must be most famous wheelie ever

I agree to disagree. Only because with a clutch-up you have controlables... i.e., how much throttle, when you stab the clutch, when you release the clutch, and your body position.

With a power wheelie you're relying too much on the bike to "know what to do"... that and changing body position/physically pulling-up on the bars can cause you to let go, pull off, and vere your line. I've had many a close call with a big bike (01' Triumph Tiger 955i) power-wheeliing first-gear and almost eating it... but a clutch-up actually inspirred confidence and never caused an issue.

But to each their own. I'm not out to change your habbits! :wheel:

I'm to inebriated to give you a long detailed answer, but I do feel the exact opposite. Power up wheelies have always inspired confidence while clutch up wheelies have a large margin of error that have always been discouraging.

-Drew

did a few tried myself yesterday and was able to powerwheelie only around the 7000rpm mark and barely getting the front wheel off the ground.

Weight on the back helps significantly as I wheelied with passanger and panniers with no probs.

I also tried the clutch slipping method but was a total fail for me :)

I'll do some more powerwheelie tests :)

PS: stock sprockets

• 3 months later...

mine picks the front wheel up handily in first power or clutch. I got used to the feeling of a foot of air under the front tire from a standing start. it's just how it seems to launch at the dragstrip. Out on the street any sort of rocking or chopping produces a full on 1st gear wheelie. it bunnie-hops the 2nd gear powershift. from about 30mph it clutches 2nd nice and slow, and wheelies out to 85 or so. hilarity ensues. There's only been a few instances that I've grabbed 2nd in the air, and it's stayed up. shifting more cushions my descent than anything. That all said, I'm very comfy with the frontend in the air. lol.

When I was in my 20's I used to wheelie my VFR750 in 2nd. Just accelerate hard, change to 2nd, as power comes on strong - around 7,000rpm I'd keep the throttle on full and dab the clutch and up she'd come....Easy and impressive.

It would come back down gently as I continued accelerating hard, I forget if it was 3rd or 4th gear, it's been a while....

One day I tried it on a small English country road and hadn't accounted for the camber of the road... The bike veered towards a hedge as the front lifted high off the ground so I let off and brought it back down before I crashed, wobbling a bit. ....and that was the last time I did wheelies on purpose.

The heavier a bike, the more power & speed needed to get the front up and that means more danger, especially on public roads.

My RC51 power wheelies fairly easily but is going very quick by the time it's up, so I avoid whacking the throttle open too fast in lower gears. There's a lot more control with 2 wheels in the ground... and I don't want to crash!

Although my near escape on the VFR that day (about 17 years ago when I was younger & more foolish) didn't incur any costs, what I do find these days is that 2nd gear on the VFR is more prone to coming un-engaged from time to time than any other. When it happens I sometimes I wonder if that was caused by all the wheelies back then, or just because the splines on the lever had worn a bit and my foot hadn't fully engaged 2nd?.... I strongly suspect it's because of the abuse it got in it's younger years and so I'm reminded to be kinder to my 70,000 mile gearbox. It's part of the long history the VFR & I share, but I wouldn't wheelie her any more.

A much lighter TDR250 (2 cyl. 2 stroke motard) I am in the slow process of building will be the bike for such foolish hooliganism (if at all), the VFR isn't, really.

Heell, what gives with my bike then? My 05 has no issues with clawing the sky. First or second, no biggie. I raised the front tire mid corner today when I hit second. Totally controlled, but fun!

First gear? I have to feather the clutch if I take off fast and if I'm holding 8000 RPM all u have to do is give it a quick twist and my bike says FU gravity!

• Member Contributer

My wheelies are always power wheelies. Most have occurred at "gravity cavity" on the Dragon. My favorite pass is to use the backside of it as lunching ramp for the wheelie.

Pulled an accidental power wheelie while coming onto a military installation, right inside the gate.

Crossed VTEC, gave her the schtick, and pulled a 1-2 foot wheelie in front of a line of cars. I B-lined it to work, nervously checking my mirrors for the SP's, but luckily I got away without notice.

Smiling all the way, of course.

By far, the scariest wheelies I've pulled have been @ 80 mph in 3rd gear whilst topping a rise at full throttle. The front will come off the ground every time...I've finally learned to expect it~

• Member Contributer

On the way home from work, there's a certain rise that suddenly flattens to a long straight section after a ton of curves. I usually give it a bit in 2nd to pop the front up just for the hell of it, lasts about 2 seconds. Other than that, just a few unintentional front tire pop up's while gearing down to make a quick pass. Makes me feel like a hooligan which probably matches well with what the fellow in the vehicle being passed is thinking.

• Member Contributer

I get what you're saying. Clutch ups are generally the most controllable and pogoing is generally very unpredictable. But on my bike, rolling onto the gas in first gear right before the vtec crossover nets stupid easy wheelies and then clicking into second while at about 40 degrees makes for a really controllable and long wheelie. If the road is long/straight/empty enough clicking into third at around 50 degrees gets even easier. I have gotten it into fourth and rode it through but you are talking some really high speeds and angles close to 12 o'clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What "o'clock" would 40 & 50 degrees be?

With 9:00 being 0 degrees level and 12:00 being 90 degrees straight up and down; 10:00=30* 10:30=45* 11:00=60*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived