How To Wheelie Vfr 800

Guest Ilan

• Member Contributer

I could see the vtec deal being more of an issue than an 1", just sit back an inch right? l have found that rider weight can be the difference from lighting up the tire on a wack to hooking up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will only say that almost anything can be wheelied and VFR is not the best bike to learn on.

It took me about 4 or 5 years. I don't know if it was just seat time or mods. Probably a combination of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will only say that almost anything can be wheelied and VFR is not the best bike to learn on.

It took me about 4 or 5 years. I don't know if it was just seat time or mods. Probably a combination of the two.

It took me few days before I popped a wheelie on my VF700F, was one of the first things I had to learn to be "in" with kewl kidz :)

I also crashed several times that summer... and you'd think I learned my lesson? Nah, safety gear is for pussies :)

IMG_0001.jpg

I have only accidentally wheelied my bike a few hundred times, but I'm starting to get use to it! :491:

My favorite accidental wheelie is the 2nd gear power wheelie. :wheel:

I just run out first to maybe 8, 9 or 10 k a pop into 2nd where the rpms put the engine in the fat part of the torque curve and it smoothly comes right up in a controlled manor.

BR

• Member Contributer

I've had two accidental wheelies that were remarkably uneventful. The first was from a stoplight; the second from an overenthustiac throttle initiating a pass. I'd love to know how to to it on purpose but too smart/scared to learn.

65 years of maturity has it's rewards. :tongue: :wheel:

• Member Contributer

My first on Dusty happened just a couple of weeks ago...riding back down one of the local hills and going over a hump in the road that I usually roll off when passing but that day I was feeling a little silly. Sure enough when it drops off the front got light and rode the resulting brief and unimpressive wheelie for a short way until gravity noticed and brought her back down.

Never done one in anger/with intent. As others have noted, there's an expensive lesson waiting if you botch it.

• Member Contributer

I grew up racing motocross and was always comfortable in the air and wheelies were a common past time. Bought my vfr about two years ago and have accidently felt the front wheel come up a couple times in first or second by rolling it on but between the thousands in damage if I screw it up and the $1000 florida ticket for not having both wheels in contact keeps me from doing too much back wheel ridin these days. I would love to buy supermotard but honestly I do t think I am mature enough to not get a ticket. The vfr is so fuN and a lot easier to not ride like a douche. (Middle aged wisdom I suppose)

Yes, a 4th gen can be wheelied as I found out, but it does not come natural to the bike as it does with hypersport bikes, especially .In the case of my bike that had it's rear shock shimmed and front shocks pulled up on the triples to have more forward weigh bias and quicker front geometry, it's quite an effort. Best chances of getting the front up is lots of revs and a hearty clutch dump. otherwise. Pulling it up with just the rolling the throttle is close to impossible.... Just not enough HP and torque to do so....

years ago I watched a guy on brand new red 4th gen wheelie it from the toll booth on I-93 (coming back from Laconia) and he carried it out of sight, looked effortless and impressive...

• Member Contributer

Pulling it up with just the rolling the throttle is close to impossible.... Just not enough HP and torque to do so...

Unless you remove 70lbs of un-needed weight :)

I think the easiest sport bike I've had to wheelie was my 6th gen for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the extra weight and smooth power band (above v-tec)… but it was always very smooth and stable for clutch wheelies. Especially compared to my previous GSXR-750. And like others have said, sit upright and open the throttle through the v-tec point correctly and the front end would come up decently. Worked even better with saddlebags mounted :) But without a fair amount more torque these bikes are always better to wheelie off the clutch on flat ground if you are interested in getting close to the balance point.

Unless you remove 70lbs of un-needed weight :)

I think the easiest sport bike I've had to wheelie was my 6th gen for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the extra weight and smooth power band (above v-tec)… but it was always very smooth and stable for clutch wheelies. Especially compared to my previous GSXR-750. And like others have said, sit upright and open the throttle through the v-tec point correctly and the front end would come up decently. Worked even better with saddlebags mounted :) But without a fair amount more torque these bikes are always better to wheelie off the clutch on flat ground if you are interested in getting close to the balance point.

If you think the saddlebags work well, you should try a top box. :smile:

gallery_13129_4707_866259.jpg

Or a nice hill, TT-style.

629d2a23.jpg

If all else fails, roll down a hill backwards, lean back, and gas it... (just kidding, DON"T do this on your bike!!)

5257162e.jpg

It didnt end well. I am no longer allowed to ride my mother's scooter.

If that was the end result, then I would say it did end well. :laugh:

You know what they say about riding scooters :goofy:

Let me give you some tips...

1. Don't ever power-wheelie. The lack of control you have is the danger here. You may get it up, but it's a slow climb and it can be wobbly.

2. Clutch-up every time.

2a. Clutch up 1st gear... 10-15mph... stab the clutch, blip the throttle to 7-9k, release clutch, and the wheel comes up.

2b. Cluth up 2nd gear... 35-40mph... stab the clutch, blip the throttle to 9k, leaning forward, relase clutch and pull back on the bars... should come up.

That's how... should you? No. Will you? Probably.

I was a big proponent of 1st gear wheelies for the longest time... I've been riding for 7 years and popping stupid wheelies for 6 of them...

I actually never 2nd gear wheelied until last year in July on my 06, bone-stock VFR. It is now second nature...

Will you have the same luck/ability? No... maybe not. So don't try it... but you will. I warned you.

I get what you're saying. Clutch ups are generally the most controllable and pogoing is generally very unpredictable. But on my bike, rolling onto the gas in first gear right before the vtec crossover nets stupid easy wheelies and then clicking into second while at about 40 degrees makes for a really controllable and long wheelie. If the road is long/straight/empty enough clicking into third at around 50 degrees gets even easier. I have gotten it into fourth and rode it through but you are talking some really high speeds and angles close to 12 o'clock.

1. Don't ever power-wheelie. The lack of control you have is the danger here. You may get it up, but it's a slow climb and it can be wobbly.

2. Clutch-up every time.

Really? I think it's other way around: Power wheelie is less violent and less damaging to the equipment. Clutch-up hammers the clutch and drivetrain, also one wrong move and you are on your back.

That's my opinion based on 20+ years of experience...

Power wheelie with 56 hp

DSHawk4.JPG

this must be most famous wheelie ever

2. Clutch-up every time.

Really? I think it's other way around: Power wheelie is less violent and less damaging to the equipment. Clutch-up hammers the clutch and drivetrain, also one wrong move and you are on your back.

That's my opinion based on 20+ years of experience...

Power wheelie with 56 hp

DSHawk4.JPG

this must be most famous wheelie ever

I agree to disagree. Only because with a clutch-up you have controlables... i.e., how much throttle, when you stab the clutch, when you release the clutch, and your body position.

With a power wheelie you're relying too much on the bike to "know what to do"... that and changing body position/physically pulling-up on the bars can cause you to let go, pull off, and vere your line. I've had many a close call with a big bike (01' Triumph Tiger 955i) power-wheeliing first-gear and almost eating it... but a clutch-up actually inspirred confidence and never caused an issue.

But to each their own. I'm not out to change your habbits! :wheel:

Archived